Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ang
Hi everybody,

I've got a person who just won't give up. He's the only person I've ever had to ban, and actually he's the reason I started requiring registration, etc, about a year ago. Until then, the board has run fine, even with the usual arguments and occasional flames. But this guy apparently has nothing better to do than think of new ways to get in.

When he uses his regular IP, fine, I can spot it a mile away because luckily, he's the only person using that particular ISP. Then he signed up a series of new names using an ISP in another state, and those got through because it was a new trick. (I was only watching the registration log for his IP, and didn't notice the pattern until it was too late). I don't know if he got a friend up north to do it, or was on vacation and went to a cyber cafe. Anyway, I quickly blocked those new logins.

Then started the AOL, which was expected. At first I thought he'd gotten himself a trial account, but now I think he's got a friend helping him. For the last several months, he would register using an AOL account, and then quickly change over to his ISP to start posting. I was able to spot that quickly and shut him down.

However, now, he must have figured out that he shouldn't use his ISP to post, and he's just using AOL. I have no clue whether he's gone and gotten himself an account, is visiting a friend with AOL, or is having the friend do the posting for him. But he's back once again, and still playing these games.

Since it's AOL, it's obviously problematic because the IP addresses change all the time.

My problem is that I can't just ban all people who show up from AOL. And since AOL allows seven screen names, it's easy to delete on and make a new one, so it's an ongoing thing.

I've read through other posts here, and didn't find any solutions. I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas. This poster knows he is banned forever, and it's become a real obsession for him. In the meantime, it wastes a lot of my time, and I wish I didn't have to spend so much time monitoring recent visitors and all of that.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions that I could try? I'm frustrated by all of this, and tired of constantly having to be on guard.

Thanks in advance,

Ang

Sponsored Links
Entire Thread
Subject Posted By Posted
Any ideas to help me keep out problem person? ang 04/07/2003 1:38 AM
Re: Any ideas to help me keep out problem person? Charles Capps 04/07/2003 2:44 AM
Re: Any ideas to help me keep out problem person? Gizmo 04/09/2003 10:42 PM
Re: Any ideas to help me keep out problem person? LedFoot 04/11/2003 3:59 PM
Re: Any ideas to help me keep out problem person? ang 04/22/2003 9:46 PM
Re: Any ideas to help me keep out problem person? Mr. B 04/22/2003 10:18 PM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63