Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
After wasting a couple days playing with the wonders of X (which I really like tons) I finally got round to installing the web server stuff. For the most part it works, and I have an almost fully functional duplicate of my web site running on the local server (I haven't reconfigured all of the scripts to run locally yet). W3T is running dandy, it seems, but I haven't tested it that much and I'm still concerned that there may be something wrong with DBI because the createtable.pl failed somewhere in the middle, and I ended up building the tables from a dump of the live database. I guess I'll see how that goes when I'm further along, but setting up my first user and my first category and board was no problem.

But I'm still having some problems with mysql and php3. First thing, in mysql how the heck do I add a new user and give that user permission to manipulate a particular database? Right now I'm just accessing mysql as root. When I tried adding a new user from mysqlaccess I thought I had it, but instead that user seemed to have overwritten root, and at any rate I ceased to have access as ANY user and I had to delete the grant table files and start over. Mysql also seems to have the bad habit of jumping willy-nilly between running as localhost and running as the machine name. Any idea why or how I can make it stop? When it runs as the machine name it runs through TCP/IP rather than through a socket.

And I'm having trouble installing PHP3 with mysql support. (At least I think that's the problem... php pages that send the mysql_connect() command always fail and report it as a an undefined function). I installed php using debian files. It configured itself as a module to apache and I thought all was good. But then I had this problem. The PHP site doesn't say anything about installing with deb files, but it does rant against installing with RPM binaries, because they don't set up proper mysql support. So I thought maybe this was my problem and that I'd try installing from source.

Fine, but when I try to install from source, I run into a new set of problems. What you do is set a bunch of config options, and from that it makes a config.cache file from which it will make the install files. But it tries to do this automaticaly. It locates gcc and tries to compile, but then it tells me gcc can not compile executables. I don't tell it to look for gcc... it just picks that. So I'm never able to get as far as sending the make and make install commands, which are the next things the instructions tell me to do. I was able to do make on the perl modules needed by w3t, but I don't suppose those are using a c compiler, so I doubt it makes any diffeence. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Phoenix
(who has been trying really awfully hard not to ask any questions)

Sponsored Links
Entire Thread
Subject Posted By Posted
My trials and triumphs (and some questions) The Team 03/10/2000 3:57 PM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) MattyJ 03/10/2000 5:01 PM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) The Team 03/12/2000 10:22 PM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) Eileen 03/13/2000 3:54 AM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) MattyJ 03/13/2000 6:21 PM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) The Team 03/13/2000 7:02 PM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) MattyJ 03/13/2000 8:25 PM
Re: My trials and triumphs (and some questions) The Team 03/14/2000 12:07 PM
Still have a libc question, though The Team 03/14/2000 12:20 PM
Re: Still have a libc question, though MattyJ 03/14/2000 12:39 PM
Re: Still have a libc question, though The Team 03/14/2000 6:47 PM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63