Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Lurker
Lurker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
I appreciate Gizmo for helping me find this development forum. I had asked this question over at the UBB.threads forum, and we decided to move the discussion to a more appropriate location.

Originally Posted by AsiaWired
I would like to know how I can be of assistance in adding a feature that would be well-loved in Christian and/or religious forums. The feature would be for automatic detection of scripture references, and auto-linking them to an online scripture database such as BlueLetterBible.org, or BibleGateway.com.

I have made a Perl script with the full regex necessary to recognize Bible references by full title, or by abbreviation, including the apocryphal books and Roman numeral notations. The script was designed for the conversion of text or html documents to ThML (Theological Markup Language). It would not be difficult to convert the regex to use for autolinking the scriptural citations within a user's post. This would greatly simplify things by placing the text just a click away from the reader.

This feature could be implemented such that it was either enabled or disabled, and if enabled, the admin should be able to select which of the online databases to link to, and which version of the Bible to use by default. Just this much would satisfy me for now. In the future, we could go a step further and enable user choice of Bible version for his/her own posts, and/or Bible DB.

I'm not fluent with PHP, but would willingly cooperate with the developers to translate the Perl into functionality with the forum code.

Can this go in Version 8? Please?! smile


Now, I would be willing to help code this addon in PHP as best I can, if someone here would be willing to help me test it (as I do not administer a server with UBB.threads, only participate in a Christian forum which does).

I saw while signing up that I should not ask for any of UBB.threads' copyrighted files. Would it be possible to show me just enough of one file which I could modify to create this addon? If this were to go into an entirely new file, what mechanism would be used to link it in with the rest of the software?

On the other hand, I would be happy to post the relevant Perl code here which would need translation to PHP, if someone here would like to help incorporate this.

I know a number of Christian forums which would appreciate this feature. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Entire Thread
Subject Posted By Posted
Auto-link generation for Scripture references AsiaWired 11/27/2009 4:30 PM
Re: Auto-link generation for Scripture references Gizmo 11/29/2009 12:48 AM
Re: Auto-link generation for Scripture references AsiaWired 11/29/2009 2:19 AM
Re: Auto-link generation for Scripture references Ruben Rocha 11/29/2009 2:56 AM
Re: Auto-link generation for Scripture references AsiaWired 11/29/2009 3:50 AM
Re: Auto-link generation for Scripture references AsiaWired 11/29/2009 3:03 AM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
• Shock Hosting
• Stable Host
• bluehost
• InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Posts: 21,080
Joined: March 2000
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
Most Online151,614
Nov 14th, 2025
Today's Statistics
Currently Online 4613
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 10
Top Posters
AllenAyres 21,080
JoshPet 10,369
LK 7,394
Lord Dexter 6,708
Gizmo 5,834
Greg Hard 4,625
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Likes Received
isaac 82
Gizmo 20
Brett 7
WebGuy 2
Morgan 2
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
The UBB.Developers Network (UBB.Dev/Threads.Dev) is ©2000-2026 VNC Web Services

 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260108)