wluke & Ultimate navaho, I would like to compare some of the settings.
I have the LoadModule placed at the very end of the list. Even after the bracketed commands (
) then I have the AddModule command line also at the end of that section followed by;
# [ mod_gzip configuration ]
mod_gzip_on Yes
mod_gzip_minimum_file_size 300
mod_gzip_maximum_file_size 0
mod_gzip_maximum_inmem_size 100000
mod_gzip_keep_workfiles No
mod_gzip_temp_dir /tmp
mod_gzip_dechunk Yes
mod_gzip_item_include file .htm$
mod_gzip_item_include file .html$
mod_gzip_item_include file .php$
mod_gzip_item_include file .pl$
mod_gzip_item_include file .cgi$
mod_gzip_item_include mime text/.*
I am also on the mod_gzip listserver and have received some great help. Still trying to figure out what is optimum for a UBB system as ever little bit helps 
Things visably improved alot. I still need to figure out how to setup the logging feature so I can see what compression I am getting. Also did you get an EAPI warning when you restart httpd? I was told it is a bogus error but would like to know if others have gotten it as well.