Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102560 04/11/2001 10:37 AM
Is there any way to set up break points in the code and trace through while a board is running?

Amy

Sponsored Links
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
Sure, if you have an IDE that will allow you to pass paramaters in to simulate a cgi enviroenment, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to step though.

--mark

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
Thanks Mark. Any recommendations on IDEs that are suited for this purpose?

Amy

P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
My preference is Perl Builder. I've bee using 1.0 forever and a day. Haven't bought an upgrade to 2.0 because, as minor as it is to some people, there is one usebility feature about it that is driving me nuts.... the auto-indent/outdent feature doesn't work exactly the same as it does on PB 1. (and I rely heavily on it when I'm working fast)

I'm used to it behaving a certain way, and on pb2, it doesn't...at least not always. Sometimes it works right, other times it doesn't. Sometimes it tabs in too far, or doesn't tab out correctly, or replaces my tabs with random amounts of spaces instead. It's obnoxious to me.

I've emailed the author several times providing examples. He's improved it with the latest (2.0b) but still hasn't fixed it (or responded to my email for that matter).

Too bad too, because there are new features in 2.0 that I want, but he's losing a $150 upgrade fee from me because I simply cannot work correctly in the environment with the tabs messed up (plus, it tends to screw up a lot of my formatting of existing scripts when I save them from PB2). To me this is a big thing, to others, it isn't a concern.

At any rate, you can download the demo version from http://www.solutionsoft.com/perl.htm and try the 14 day evaluation. You then have to buy a copy to continue using it, if you like it.

I consider PB 1.0 to be the greatest thing ever. I just wish he would address my concerns in 2.0, as he has the stuff working in 1.0, but it broke in 2. No matter what I try with the settings, I can't get it to work perfectly all the time (which is why I know it's a bug..it works right sometimes, and not others).

--mark

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, perl builder roxxor smile

Hey Mark, in all your spare time, if you can write a short tutorial on using pb to debug scripts for the newbie, that'd be excellent! smile It's easy enough to check syntax -w, but I'd like to know how the other functions work too... or maybe I could just visit their site and look for some... wink hmmmm.. would be a great addition to our tutorials section.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
Sure thing! I use it all the time for step thru and variable watching and stuff like that.

From what I understand pb2 has extended features to allow changing stuff on the fly, but I'm not sure.

Be glad to do it when i have some free time.

--mark

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63