Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
i've finally got my piece of ...cgi?

alright ill stop. but only if you answer my question [Linked Image]

im in the process of developing rob's boards 4.0, and would like to relocate some stuff to my header (which acts like the one on this site, as the navigation bar on the left).

one thing i'd like to move over is the little PM notification, that, hack provided, is located on the front page only(ultimate.cgi).

is this possible? and, if so... how's i do it? im assuming it has something to do with placing something like:

Code
code:

that (above) in my header script. any help?

thanks!

------------------

my site
my boards
second place winner in ubbdev's november spotlight

This message has been edited by drkknght on January 20, 2001 at 04:37 PM

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How's it going on this? You can pretty much put it anywhere, just takes some experimentation...

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
heya allen...

im testing all sortsa stuff like this out on that "test" boards you told me to set up on my site awhile back.

bottom line: its a whole lotta confusion!

im good with html, but only a newbie when it comes to cgi. the header is in html, but, the script i included above is in cgi. im trying to display the code in various ways, but, can't figure out the right way t'do it.

oy, sucha headache! [Linked Image]

------------------

my site
my boards

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You don't want to put it in your header, with the $pmlink in there, but you can add it most anywhere in Ultimate.cgi or forumdisplay.cgi, does take some experimentation to get "the look" you want tho...

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
yeah, thats the frustrating part. adding $pmlink to the header just, literally, makes "$pmlink" appear in my header (the whole html vs. cgi thing kills me!)

so, i was trying to type out what $pmlink represents, html-wise, i.e;

Code
code:

THEN going in and replacing all the $whatevers with THEIR respective html code, i.e; changing $pmimg to

Code
code:

etc, etc... which just ends up becoming a major, frustraing pain in the ass.

is the dream even possible? or is it... just a dream?

------------------

my site
my boards

This message has been edited by drkknght on January 20, 2001 at 04:41 PM

Sponsored Links
Why don't you do something simple and just place the $pmlink in your actual Ultimate.cgi code where you want it? You are asking it to do something pert near impossible. Find out where the
------------------
Duke

Duke

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
Kahuna
Kahuna
hmm... an interesting theory, mr. url...

a question... what file contains the actual header file? like, when ultimate.cgi refers to $header... what other cgi file is it refering to? ubbmisc.cgi?

i figure, what i could do, is just place all my alterations within the header code, inside taht file... that way, i wouldnt have to alter every other cgi file (since every other file includes the header info).

...y'know what im sayin?

------------------

my site
my boards

$Header is built in your general settings when you place your info in there. When you submit your general settings, $Header is written to your UltBB.setup file, otherwise it is just $Header = ""; toward the bottom of your file.

In other words, placing the pmlink stuff in your UltBB.setup file would be the same as putting it in the header box in your general settings. If it is calling something like $pmlink it will not work, as you have already found out. If you want the pm notification, you will need to write it directly in your cgi files, it will not work in your thread files, at least not in
Do you want it on all pages, or just ultimate.cgi?

------------------
Duke

Duke

Kahuna
Kahuna
id probably slap that, along with other changes, on all pages.

which would include ultimate, ubblibrary 2, forumdisplay... and, actually, i might just leave it at that. let all the private message-related pages, etc, stay the same as they are.

but... wait a minute... id probably havta go in and edit those, too. cuz, in my header (in general settings), i had to delete the final
tags (that end the left navigation bar side and begin the right message board side). deleting them allows me to go into, say, ultimate.cgi, add the info i want in the header, then follw that up with the tags. ... so, id probably havta edit every page, just to get those td tags in, right? (since they were deleated from the actual $header reference)

------------------

my site
my boards
You are workin too hard. [Linked Image]

If you are trying to get the pm notification like "The Duke of URL - You have 6 private messages. 1 is new." or something like that, it isn't gonna work unless you can SSI into your html threads. You may or may not need an .shtml extension on your threads, but you will need to handle it much like the who's online is handled. Dave wrote it so that you add it directly into the ubb_library2.pl, Ultimate.cgi, and forumdisplay.cgi.

The problem is, you are wanting to get information into cgi and html files in the same way, by using the header, it just can't be done like that.

------------------
Duke

Duke

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
heya duke... (thanks fer all yer help n'stuff, btw).

if you get a chance, check out my boards http://www.robkamphausen.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?

i've started adding a lil stuff now. its messy, but, its basically what im lookin for (or, it will be after i finish it and clean it up).

on the left side, is my regular header, made thru the CP. just below it is the "online" bit. i added that by going into ultimate cgi and adding some $onlinexxx stuff right after where it said $header.

but, in order to get it into the same column, i had to delete the afore mentioned td tags from the header part of my CP, and manually add it after the online tags, within my ultimate cgi. (note that any other pages, like while viewing threads, have their tables all messed up, cuz the header section is without those td's).

so, basically, thats what im looking to do. add, say, the PM deal on the left, the online deal on the right... few other lil things here n'there. but, basically, the way im goin, it'll require me to edit all my pages (the 3 main ones, plus all the sub ones, like the privatexxx.cgi's), at least to get the td tags in. .... i think.

and, yeah, yer right. im workin too hard [Linked Image]

------------------

my site
my boards

Kahuna
Kahuna
ok, now im goin a lil crazy...

is it me, or, is there no "$footer" code in ultimate cgi?

best i could find was "borderbottom"

im having placing things inside the footer... when i cant find the code fer it, dagnabbit!

------------------

my site
my boards

Kahuna
Kahuna
alright... made some pretty good headway tonight.

i found the footer info in ubb_library.pl, which, actually, is perfect. cuz, now, thats the only file i have to edit (rather than going into each and every cgi).

got my online link up and running there, and my private message link.

problems i have:

1) unless you're on the main page (ultimate), the private message text reads "log in to check PMs", and the image also displays the "off" version (even if you have a new one).

2) the "online" part messes up (displaying no one online) when on the private message screens, as well as when reading thru an actual thread (however, works fine in the reply/new post screens)

any ideas on either?

thanks!

------------------

my site
my boards

Lookin pretty good Rob, I still think you are workin too hard on it. [Linked Image] You coulda added a plain link to your footer that says the same thing. I don't think you are gonna get the number of messages to show up unless you are able to parse SSI on your html pages. Looks like hard work [Linked Image]

Oh, and like Allen posted on your site, what about v6? Will be out in 10 days - something to consider.

------------------
Duke

Duke

addendum:

You might wanna check out what webdrenalin has done with their site:
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003028.html

He has cgi files for the top and bottom frame - would make it much easier to do what you are trying to do.

------------------
Duke

Duke

Kahuna
Kahuna
heya duke. yeah, again, im still workin too hard [Linked Image] its actually much easier than i thought last night, tho. the header is still the same. all i really had to do was add in some stuff in ubblibrary, to get it in the footer (my new right-side nav bar). pretty quick actually (that is, if i DIDNT spend hours looking for how to do it, first [Linked Image] )

and the ssi thing... thats pretty much beyond me. so, i'll havta continue avoiding that like the plague (as if there are people running for the plague).

i dig the webdrenalin site. been there before (i think thru the member spotlight thing). my only problem with frames is that, most users prefer accessing the site simply via the ultimate.cgi link, thus by passing the frames. its something to think about, tho, as it does do something very similar (and probably easier) as to what im looking for.

perhaps, if i went that route, i could add a javascript somewhere to load the frames with ultimate.cgi (if not accessed the frames way)

now, as for v6... i think you n'allen are correct. i should just wait til v6, first off (since anything i change now, i'll just havta change again).

... oh man... im fearin this upgrade in a big way. i dont even remember all the hacks i've added and html code i messed around with!

and, now, ill havta find'em all first, then redo'em all!

serenity now!!!

------------------

my site
my boards

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849