Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I found it fustrating to write HTML for Netscape, because you have to use a lot more tags in netscape to get only half of the effect in IE witch only uses half the work.

The hardest thing for a webmaster to do is to format a site that works both well in Netscape and IE (twice the work).

Now if we had a choice of destroying one of them, what would it be: Netscape or Internet Explorer?

------------------
Ill see you on the darkside of the moon.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I've been working with both so long I don't notice NS as much, and I wouldn't consider it as being twice the work. Getting HTML to work in both browsers is nothing compared to making compatible dHTML. I once wrote a little pop up menu thingy for IE, and it was pretty short code. I gave up trying to get it to work in NS [Linked Image] Ever looked at heirMenus? It's like 1000 lines of code or so, more or less for NS compatibility (ok, some is bells and whistles, but for the most part...). So for the latter, I would throw NS out the window.

------------------
goodfellasweb.com

CTH Offline
Hey,

Yea I agree with Sonny. Netscape is a pain to begin with when writing HTML. But I too have recently started with DHTML and that really is a pain in the butt !!!

I wrote a menu on another site I'm working on that gave popup descriptions underneath the menu in DHTML and it took forever to get right in Netscape. I ended up having to use layers for each browser, and it was a painful process to get right.

TotalNewbie

This message has been edited by TotalNewbie on October 20, 2000 at 11:53 PM

MS I like NS I hate. You're right, it's terrible. And whats worse is that they did it on purpose. Sure, Microsoft doesn't exactly comply with standards, but in most cases they just added a bunch of stuff and tried to make everything work, with Netscape, nothing works. Even getting your tables to look right in Netscape is a hassle and a half.

I use a lot of Flash on my sit and getting it to display proerly in NS has proved next to impossible. Simple code changes to single paramaters can produce wildly unpredictable results when viewed in NS but look absolutely fine in IE.

Netscape seem to be deliberatly trying to bend the rest of the web to their own ends, but the end result will simply be most web designers deliberatly not bothering to code for NS as it is just too much hassle.

------------------
The revelation beaten on a skin drum...

Signatures suck. Thats why I dont have one.
Sponsored Links
aye, netscapes a complex ******* .

I've posted dozens of messages here about how much it sucks, and why. The thing is, we just have to wait for NS6 to be generally accepted. It displays pages much like IE.

You know what's hilarious? People don't use IE because they think it's owned by a big bad monopoly, and netscape is some underworld savior. Reality check:
Netscape is owned by AOL, which owns Time Warner, which, coincidentally, means that a person could connect to the internet (roadrunner cable service), browse (netscape) the limited internet (AOL)...having never left the domain of that company.

If you didn't understand that garbled mess:
NS is owned by AOL which owns Time warner whichs owns the whole ****ing world. Well, media world.

things are funny, are they not?

------------------
-david
Choose your future.
www.antipopculture.org

It doesn't require twice as much work. It requires you to actually know what your doing. If you can't get a site to look good in NS you'd better study HTML more. There is nothing wrong with netscape. It's a little more sensitive to code. And it's your fault if you forget to end tags. Especially tags. My last 2 site designs looked great in Netscape. And I know alot of people still use it so it has to. Even one our admin's uses it [Linked Image]
no zanardi, netscape really does suck. Why do you think all those DHTML scripts have 4 pages of code? Because netscape doesn't support the right stuff.

Like I said in the other NS/IE thread, NS also screws up common measurements. I've defined things to be 100px tall and 500 wide, and it comes out 50px tall and 400px wide.

it is a fact, netscape 4 sucks.

everyone knows it, including netscape, which is why NS6 is so much like IE. I mean, things (like text) just plain look bad in NS4.

------------------
-david
Choose your future.
www.antipopculture.org

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63