Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
k, so, i separated the categories on my forum. but now, the "forum | posts | last post" bar just sorta... floats above the categories.

is there anyway to get that table to appear as a row beneath the category name? (in each category) so that there's no space between anything.

so, it'll be:

category1
forum|posts|last

category2
forum|posts|last

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Well, in theory you can just move the HTML down from PageTop into the er... what's it called, Cat_Line? Cat_Row?

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Kahuna
Kahuna
sub cat_row, i think you mean. ... well, maybe not. i tried adding a test row there, and i didnt get anything.

...hmmm....

i think (if im reading this right) "Normal_Table_Top" is that row of info (Forum | Posts | Last Post). but i dont know if there's a way to refer to it, or if i'd have to just move that whole blob of HTML, like you said.

... then, i dunno where to put it! wink

thanks, double c. ill have to check this out more when i get home.

Whoa...There are several ways in which you can go about it. We've seen many variations in which you can arrange the Forum Summary layout and the common problem is alignment. There is a trick to it in which I haven't seen posted yet (UNTIL NOW rockband ). laugh Anyway, enough with the humor. To avoid problems just keep in mind of two things while editing your public_forum_summary.pl file:

All "Category" column
s should be kept inside the (key hint wink ):

Code
[/code]tags.

All "Forum" category column <td>s should remain inside the:

[code]
tags.

While that is where the UBB default codes are generally located the end result will leave the file re-arranged quite a bit.

Whatever setting you do with the Category column above, you do the same with the Forum column directly below (e.g., width). It's important to keep the same width/colspan/settings constant for the columns.

Category Separation is perfect for this although rather than using a
tag I always use a Table setting. Mainly another "$TBT" tag specifically for that insert. With a Table tag I'm able to adjust the height unlike the fixed height of the Break tags. smile
Kahuna
Kahuna
whoa... good sum up, PT!

i was able to grasp most o'dat... but... in my case, im still not sure what part, exactly, im movin where.

ill mess around with it more tonight and see where i can get!

Sponsored Links
stuff) into/below the cat row stuff smile

The stuff below :
Code
[/code]should be cut and pasted below :

[code]
why not just remove that floating bar... will be cleaner smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
What PT was saying was that you'll need to move that forum/posts/lastpost row stuff (the
blah
Ohh...Heh. OK. Yes and no. smile

The Category column codes were taken from:

Code
[/code]Not "Row".      :)      Then this section (Normal_Table_Top) was taken out.   The:

[code]
Were left intact actually which made the file easier for editing and updating. thumbsup

Edited: I ripped out an explanation of why I did what I did. shocked It wasn't important...I hope. tipsy

Hey Allen...What do you mean by "floating bar"? confused Try not to laugh. laugh

Kahuna
Kahuna
heya guys -- much thanks on the help

i think the "floating bar" AA was referring to was that table (Forum | Posts | Last Post) which, on my current board, is just "floating" on its own, above the categories and below the forum intro.

and, initially, i was thinking of simply removing it. however, i opted to keep it around, for fear that the number in the posts column wouldn't make much sense to people not familiar with MBs in general.

(but when i add it beneath the category name row, id like to descrease the height of the "Forum | Posts | Last Post" row as much as possible)

anyway... with your two different schools of thought... which is the best way to edit my boards, without creating unnecessary stress or processor drain?

and where should the cut'n'pasting start n'stop? (every time i try to cut some stuff out, i think im cuttin out too much)

" tag of "sub CategoryStrip". Then define the widths of each column (either in percentages or pixels). An important thing to remember is that if you have 5 columns for the Category rows make sure you have 5 columns for the Forum rows located in "sub Normal_Table_Row". That way will ensure you of no alignment problems. For "$CategoryName" make sure you insert the correct "colspan" #. smile
quote:
Originally posted by drkknght:

i think the "floating bar" AA was referring to was that table (Forum | Posts | Last Post) which, on my current board, is just "floating" on its own, above the categories and below the forum intro.
Ahh, cool. smile I integrated the "(Forum | Posts | Last Post)" with the Category Name row, creating one row. Click Here to my board and notice that "Forum" was replaced by the Category Names. Each category has an independent row. I made the Category height to 30px for the Angel icon (at the left of each Category name). If the icon wasn't there the row will have a tighter look. Category Separation with no alignment issues is possible too, but I chose not to as it wouldn't work with the layout. smile

The method in which you edit your Forum Summary really depends on what you feel comfortable doing. My method is not the easiest to do, but it is much cleaner in appearance and functions just the same as an unedited file. thumbsup

For your:

Category 1
Forum|Posts|Last Post

Category 2
Forum|Posts|Last Post

I would cut and paste the HTML codes from "sub Normal_Table_Top" and insert them under the "
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
badfrog
badfrog
somewhere on the coast of Maine
Forum Statistics
Forums63