Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Dear Jigga,

I tried installing your Active Topics and I think it's fantastic! The thing that would make it even MORE fantastic for me is if you could pull topics out of a specified forum, and not the whole board.

So if I had Forum A, Forum B, and Forum C I'd like to be able to use ssi to get just the recent posts from Forum B in headline form, and not from Forum A or Forum C...

Forgive me if anyone has already asked about this, I'm new here. smile

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
That's already been asked several times, mostly by me =). JM hasn't said yes to anything though.

quote:
Hope you have time to tryout that ssi part soon.

What Would UBB look like with out hacks?
#131794 04/30/2001 10:15 AM
Works pretty good on this end using 6.04c

quote:

#131795 04/30/2001 10:18 AM
Works fine Allen with 6.04c But I don't see a few thinks that list like the Header, and I can't seem to squeeze the whole message in there without seeing example:

Hello this is a ........

Where is should look like Hello this is a test.

quote:

Sponsored Links
#131796 04/30/2001 12:09 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It's been a couple of days since I looked at it, but don't you set that length in the cp?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
yep

Yes you do.. But it seems to ingorn it for some reason.

quote:

hmm works it now on a 04a or not? i see a posting that say there is somewhere a patch but where?

another problem is i found this line not in my public_common.pl

Code
code:

check the file 3 times but nowhere is that line confused

#131800 05/01/2001 12:30 PM
Jigga, is it possible for you to work on the code so it will work with who's online also.

quote:

Sponsored Links
LoL Ok forget it , sorry it was 4:00 in morning here when i´m working on the hack. i see my fault wink

[ May 01, 2001 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Engine ]

quote:
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Any suggestions on what todo with who's online installed?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
how are you asking wd? do you mean you want it to pickup the people who are reading the active topics?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
huh? there shouldnt be a problem?

#131805 05/05/2001 11:39 PM
Question, About Whos Online and Active Topics.

In the doc for whos online it says:

###
### FIND:
###

if ($ubb eq 'get_daily') {

###
### ADD BELOW:
###

&WriteUserSession("$vars_wordlets_mods{whos_online_checking} $vars_wordlets_mods{whos_online_daily_topics}", $user_number, $invisible_pref);

Now if you install Active Topics you would have to:

###
### FIND:
###

if ($ubb eq 'get_daily') {

###
### REPLACE WITH:
###

if ($ubb eq 'active_topics') {
&WriteUserSession("$vars_wordlets_mods{whos_online_checking} $vars_wordlets_mods{whos_online_daily_topics}", $user_number, $invisible_pref);
require "$vars_config{CGIPath}/ubb_active_topics.cgi";
&active_topics; exit;
} #end active_topics

IS THIS HOW IT'S DONE WITH ACTIVE TOPICS AND WHO'S ONLINE?

Looks to me like Active Topics is all the code you need, it's designed to work with Who's Online, not sure about the latest versions though.

help me.I can't see "view_first_topic"

- maybe this line trouble in public_active_topic.pl file
Code
code:
how can i do change line?

[ May 06, 2001 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Kanon ]

Jigga, Can you give us a hand here trying to get WOL & AT to work. In ultimatebb.cgi I need to change something but what I have no idea?

if ($ubb eq 'active_topics') {
require "$vars_config{CGIPath}/ubb_active_topics.cgi";
&active_topics; exit;
} #end active_topics
quote:

Hey Jigga, great hack!!!!!

Just something, when I use Headlines ON, it appears all those messages in a white page, thought I would like to have a border surrounding every post. I looked on the cgi code but I'm not that expert to realise anything for adding a border color through tables. If there's a SSI code that can handle the active topics like ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=active_topics&1 &2 &3 etc to display last post, second last post, third last post and so on, I could manage the borders through html editor. Whatcha think, anything that there can be done?

[ May 12, 2001 08:36 AM: Message edited by: 2eagles ]

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
Hey Jigga, how can I make it so the search index doesnt clear at midnight? I use the active topics on my front page, and it kinda looks lame when there is nothing in the box. Also is it possible to sort it by "hot" topics rather than the basic most recent like get_daily did?

great hack so far, but can i and if yes how change that it show the threads from the last 24 hours measured on the server time? a lot of my members are checking the board after midnight and then active topics is empty... would be great if somebody could help me here.

#131812 05/15/2001 10:06 PM
Great hack. I've been looking all over for something like this.

I've installed the hack and everything seems to be working, however I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I format the page just like the Headline Example graphic in the first post on this topic?

2) How would I get it to display the last 5 posts, regardless of when they were posted?

http://www.taichiherb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=active_topics

Thanks for any help,
John

[ May 15, 2001 10:18 PM: Message edited by: jcole ]

JM,

Why haven't you updated Active Topics? A new version would be nice or perhaps some improved documentation for those using the latest UBB version?

At least tell us if you've quit the project.

Has anyone figured out a way to have the a href links on the Active Topics module open up in a new window?

Thanks,
John

havent quick........i got exams commin though......

to make your topics pop into a new window, open up yout template public_active_topic.pl

Find:
Code
code:

Replace with
Code
code:

Also I figured out the fix to make the search index not disappear at midnight. I dont have the code to show you how to do it but here is a hint for jigga or any other savvy coder who can do it.
Here is a hint, you need to modify the subroutine that deletes the searchindex at midnight. Have it delete the index -2 days so it deletes the index from 2 days ago but keeps the current one. Then you must modify the sub routine in active topics that gets the search index. After the subroutine checks to see if the serach index exists, check to see if there is "x" amount of topics in it( I have it set to 3) If there are less than "x" amount of topics , use yesterdays index otherwise keep on going with todya's. Make sense? (lol) prob not , but it worked for me.

If anybody wants I can hack for hire.

MZ Offline
quote:
done this also on my board but same error:

syntax error at /home/sites/site1/web/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 257, near "$_" syntax error at /home/sites/site1/web/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 289, near "}"

if I try to ANSWER or make a NEW TOPIC.

PLS HELP

Hi, I love the hack but I dont see the primary settings/active topics menu in the CP

Any Ideas?
Thanks

Never Mind I got it, I forgot something :rolleyes:

#131820 05/30/2001 12:18 AM
quote:
Oh how I wish you would. I appreciate your efforts but I think it's a shame that you do away with the bundled Active Topics. All I'm after, like many others have posted before me, is a simple summary of the five most recent posts that I can display on my main website page. Just like we had for V5. I really like the bundled Today's Active Topics and think it's a shame to either give that up just for the headlines summary or even worse try and reinvent the wheel like you're doing. In summary, we already have a "Today's Active Topics"... it comes with UBB. Now, how about a headlines hack like we had in V5, that would be slick smile I appreciate your efforts and I did give your mod a shot, but it's not what I (and from the replies of several others on these many pages) am looking for frown If anyone knows how to modify 1.1 to be mearly a headlines hack then please post it for the rest of us. Thanks!

Also, when I tried this hack my headlines looked nothing like the example in the first post. A user before me asked how to make it look like that but I saw no response to his questions. Man, so close but yet so far...

Yeah I agree with the guy above, why can't we have a proper port of the original. This hack is very popular and hasn't been improved or updated in ages, it's very frustrating.

You can only have either headlines or show the new active topics on the main page, not both =(. Not only that but the SSI Output can't filter out what forums to show and you can only have one SSI output.

With the original you just copied the file and changed the filtering - then called it as the new file. This also allowed for various formats on one page - wonderful stuff.

JM hasn't made an update on any of the features requested for nearly three months and has barely even posted or responded to these posts. Come on JM, please do something. If not then close the thread asking somebody else to continue, or are we waiting on an empty coffin here?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You and everyone else Mark99. I am relatively certain JM would have no problem relinquishing this to someone else. I myself would love to see something standalone like the v5 version that could be done 4-5 different ways...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#131823 06/06/2001 12:59 PM

I installed this hack no problems works great so far smile Glad you actually took the time to make it a CP thingy

Seems like i got it working, but in my SSI, how do I make it wider?????

JM Can you please make a post regarding this hack, are you going to continue it or NOT? Check the last two pages of posts for info. On what we've been waiting several months to see introduced, at the very least you could officially state you won't work on it anymore – nobody knows what to do. Please respond.

JM, at this point in time, I'm working on fixing some problems and enhancing the hack. I think I'm pretty well finished.
Hey, when I need something, I can't wait forever. If you're willing to turn it over to me, I'll try to support it.

"I have no particular talent, I am just extremely inquisitive"
Albert Einstein
Hi JM!
I just got the Active Topic 1.8d (9/6/01), everything is fine, just want to report a small bug inside the installation doc. As following:
===========================
public_forum_summary.pl (template)

FIND:

# FORUM SUMMARY PAGE - HTML FRAGMENTS

AFTER PUT:

require "$vars_config{VariablesPath}/vars_wordlets_active_topics.cgi";

FIND:

sub PageTop {
AFTER ADD:

if ($vars_active_topics{usehead} eq "ON") {
$active_topics = "";
} else {
$active_topics = "

?AHREF='$vars_config{CGIURL}/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=active_topics'>$wordlets_active_topics{active_topics_fs_title}?/B>

";
}
================================

the"?" before and after AHERF should be "<"

i fixed it myself.

Again, thx for ur nice hack!

How do you change the color of the link? (I don't like blue) and the size of the title of the topic?

http://www.greenarcher.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=active_topics

Another thing is that Im getting an error when I installed the configured ultimatebb.cgi and public_forum_summary.pl
But the hack still works even without the hacked version of these files. How is this so?

Thanks

Kahuna
Kahuna
sol... i think its pretty safe to say its yours now. give credit where its due (to the originator) of course, but... if you can fix it n'post it n'please everyone... by all means.

start up a new thread, call it version 1.9 or whatever, n'do yer finest! smile

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63