Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pretty straight forward. Adds spellcheck to your forums via the spellchecker.com service.

Demo: http://forums.square-unlimited.com
Download: http://forums.square-unlimited.com/hacks/spellcheck.zip

There may be a few missed steps (I'm sick, tired, frustrated, perhaps it's my time of the month ).

Please note that spellchecker.com has the tendancy to go offline from time to time (in fact, after I installed this on my own forums they went offline for quite a few hours).

Register: https://www.spellchecker.com/webspell_signon.asp

You may need to register at their website prior to installing this, I'm not really certain if you do since I didn't find anything in their site mentioning that you need to.

Please note that I do have rules on my forums and I expect anyone that registers on my forums to follow them regardless of the reason that they are there.

quote:
4. No postfree accounts
A postfree account is an account that is registered for the a purpose other than for posting. These accounts may be those used to test certain functions available to members only, namesaver accounts, or any other type that of account that does not include posting. Any person stemming from an ISP found to be registering these types of accounts shall find their entire ISP banned. We do not need accounts to be wasting our space and bandwidth.

Caution: Some persons may find the contents of these forums (general talk which may include obscene and/or profane language, sexual content) to be offensive. Persons who find these forums offensive are asked not to register. In the event you do register and post your complaint, you will be banned immediately.

If people continue to break this rule (those of you that are registering from the link I've provided above) I'll simply remove this hack from my server.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks Mr. Man... a lotta people been beggin for this one...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Yeah. I thought that someone else was going to take care of it so I waited . . .

I really hope that these instructions will be easy enough to understand. My brain isn't functioning correctly at the moment so I'm sure the instructions are rather shoddy.

All installed ok apart from the button that is supposed to says "Spell Check". It's displayed as a tiny box no more than 6mm x 6mm.

I am running 6.04a - any idea's.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
polestar: make sure you installed DPK's Mod Wordlets, and did Step 4 in this zip.

Mr. Man: I've been waiting for it, thanks

Sponsored Links
yeah I done that already and it all looks exact as the instructions say!

Any other suggestions?

Yeah, same here.. I've amended the vars_wordlets_mods.cgi file but it still just shows a squished up box

phew.......in a way i'm pleased that you are getting the same problem, I thought I was going mad.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
OK, here you go:
========================
OPEN:
public_edit_post.pl
public_new_topic_form.pl
public_new_reply_form.pl
========================

FIND:
====

REPLACE WITH:
============

That fixed it. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
yep, thats it, I should have spotted that - LOL - also you need to add public_PM_form.pl to that list.

thx for this - great hack and needed!

[ May 10, 2001 02:36 PM: Message edited by: polestar ]

OOps. Updated the zip to correct that.

I am getting this Run Time Error mess Line: 16
Error:'opener.document.REPLIER.topic_subjuct' is null or not an object

UBB 6.04b

[ May 13, 2001 01:10 AM: Message edited by: gene1938 ]

It works for making a new topic but not when you reply. It changes the word but then the spell window doesn't close. Anyone else has this problem ?

I rehacked the file and now I get this
Error: Open custom dictionary failed D:FTPspellcHtdocsspellwww.web-wizzard.netDictionary
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'

Object required: 'session(...)'

/spell/startspelling.asp, line 359
I did register on SpellChecker.com site.
IDEAS?

That's the problem I have with it. When I reply or try to send a PM and use the spell-check the window doesn't close.

It's just a problem with their software. It happens quite often which is a rather large downside to using their service.

I fixed my above error(added "custom"- before my forum namein the *.js) but now I get this when I try to reply or edit a post
Line 16
'opener.document.REPLIER.topic_subject' is null or not an object

Is this their software as well causing this error? And can anyone edit & reply to a post and get spell check to work?
Thanks for any Ideas---OD

2nd UPDATE-- I can edit the 1st post under a topic but not the rest. Is this because the script is looking for a "TOPIC SUBJECT"(and a second or third post does not have a TOPIC SUBJECT)? Just a thought

[ May 13, 2001 09:27 PM: Message edited by: gene1938 ]

You may want to try and re-install the hack because I'm not having any of those problems.

Thanks I'll rehack the files again

I still am getting this
quote:
I can post and edit a new message and Spell Check works--but not in reply or edit reply. Is there a way to add the topic subject to public_edit_post.pl, public_new_reply ect...(code I need to add and location)?
Thanks for any ideas

[ May 16, 2001 11:02 AM: Message edited by: gene1938 ]

Everything works fine, except right when it's going to close the window and paste the corrections for the spelling it made it gives me this..

Method Not Allowed
The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /forums/cgi-bin/sproxy.pl

I know it's due to something I did, probably the spellchecker.js but any ideas just in case??

Cartoon--check file permissions. Can you edit & reply to a topic & spell checker works?? Mine I can post a new topic & it works but not to edit or reply

quote:
When are you going to make this? :rolleyes:

Some men live for others and make their presence known
Some men live in seclusion and choose to live alone...
Some men live for justice and walk inside the law
But of these men, the group I'm in
are the men behind the wall...
- Gato Suertudo
gene1938, not sure why you're encountering this problem. I've installed it on two other UBB's and haven't encountered these problems after a proper installation of this hack.

indoe, well hmm . . . . I don't know how to make an SHW, I don't know how to use SHW, so odds are never. I could take a look at home but I really don't want to download any programs I don't need or want to use. Plus I'm leaving for the Dayton Hamvention so even if I did decide to download SHW, I wouldn't be able to learn it until next week.

Mr Man
I have rehacked this many many times so it must either be my UBB version (6.04b) or one of the other hacks(whos online, preview post, avatar, anchor, UBB code buttons)
I'll try it on a clean version of 6.04b and see. The reason I asked about adding Topic_subject to the other files is because in Spell Checker.com's information it says a Subject is required to work. But as you said you have it working correctly on other UBB sites.
thanks for the input laugh

This went real smoothly for me except the part where it says:

"Locate the text string "URL/TO//sproxy.pl" and modify it to the location of your
UBBCGI directory.
Locate the text string "URL/TO/initspell.htm" and modify it to the location of
your NONCGI directory."

It isn't clear whether it wants an absolute path, a trailing slash, or what. If fact it says "location of the directory" when it actually wants the location to the file.

I would change this to:
"Locate the text string "http://www.yoursite.com/UBB/initspell.htm" and modify it to the location of
your NONCGI directory."

or somthing like that where it is clear what kind of path you are looking for. It would save a lot of trial and error.

Otherwise, it works great and is somthing the users have been screaming for, so props for coming up with this valuable hack!!

all right i dont ever really mess up on hacks, but i have been trying to get this hack to work correctly.. for some reason I will run a spell check, and it spells every thing fine, everything works but after its finished it takes me to a blank page, like the page doesn't exists, why is it doing that and it is not even changing the edited text ... has anyone got this mod to work... ?

heres what it looks like in my .js script

quote:
what am i doing wrong?

[ May 17, 2001 08:55 PM: Message edited by: kaost ]

Well thats futher than I am able to get with this hack. I tried it on 6.04e with no other hacks & I still get errors

Ohh this is a nice feature, But I just dont think it ready to be a finished mod? Either that or clarify the read me file a little but better, still cant get this to work, yes my members can't spell.. lol!! Me personally I always open a text file, then copying and pasting it after I did a spell check in my text file.. but i would like to get this working if anyone could help me and cartoon out, thanks!

Is a URL an absolute path? No.
Would you need a trailing slash for a file? No.

You CAN use this hack without a subject field. It isn't required and no where on the SC site does it say you must use a subject field. The field can be absent; at least I've found that after installing this hack onto many boards.

No, it's a finished mod. Just because there are people that can't get it installed doesn't mean it has bugs.

MR. MAN
I had to add some code to public_new_reply.pl and remove a line of code in public_edit_post.pl Both having to do with subjec--Basically adds a "Subject Field" to edit post and new reply(this field can be left blank). Now everything works(Spell check windows close no runtime errors). Working example Vp-6.com
  • USER NAME; reg test
    PASS; QQHYRZ

[ May 24, 2001 02:44 PM: Message edited by: gene1938 ]

I'm getting what kaost is getting. It will find and appear to correct the spelling, but it doesn't change the spelling and sends you to a blank page. At least it lets you know there is a mis-spelled word and you can go and fix it yourself, so that is good enough for me smile

G5 Offline
To mr.man

can you please help me here.
I installed this thing and i get a run time error in line 10? i dunno what file.
also is this how i should have my .js file

Code
code:

and is this right too?

Code
code:

[ May 26, 2001 11:51 PM: Message edited by: G5 ]

G5
Your JS file is not correct-Here is what mine looks like.
Code
code:
Your last line DOES NOT have a path defined-

also the directions say to upload sproxy to the cgi bin but the path in the Code below points to NONCGI directory so you need to change that as well.
Modify the "SITENAME"(use the name you signed up with on Spellchecker site) so yours should be custom\gamerend(if you remove the custom\ part you will get a Dictionary error)
Code
code:
What's your UBB url?- so I can see what runtime error you get.

[ May 27, 2001 11:00 AM: Message edited by: gene1938 ]

G5 Offline
never mind about it. I'll wait for the new ubb with the built in spell checker.
thanks anyway.

Mr. Man

I would like to say this hack does not work. It worked one time and stopped saying errors on page. I tried ten times to rehack. I have applyed many hacks in my day. There is not much in the way of hacking here as it is a few lines in files and paths. I know my paths are fine since I have a unix server and the default is unix. I know my other paths and it still does not work. I think you have too many people complaining this should not be a final product to dismiss it. Since my paths are correct and I did sign up with spellchecker one would have to assume it is the code. I will formally ask the forum moderator to search this topic and request this be placed in beta forum instead.

Where can i get this hack? The link seams to be dead.

dotto! no wait dittio! no wait ditto! what eva you know what I mean right?

pet

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63