Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Files and install instructions updated so that you should be able to add 3 lines of text to your ultimatebb.cgi, upload the Compress folder to your Modules directory (set permissions if necessary (Unix)) and run it.

I've only tested on one server, a win2k. This should work on most any server now, dedicated or shared, please let me know if you get error messages so we can work to include the proper modules and call them correctly.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Developer
Developer
You can't dump Compress::Zlib as a file - it has outside dependicies which must be compiled in or PPMed in, in Windows.

qasic

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: qasic ]

k00l Allen wink
working gr8 smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
It's included pre-compiled in all recent versions of Activestate perl... do you know of some that don't have it included?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hello people,

I use ubb 6.05, and I also noticed this "hack" would work for a 6.05 board.

I downloaded the compress-zip file and I read your comments on the first page, but I don't understand it:

quote:
What do you mean with etc etc?

I'm sorry for asking, but I just want to make my board load faster.

It's on an Unix machine.

My code looks like:
quote:
in the ultimatebb.cgi file.

Some additional info would be very nice.
Or give me a little hint in the right direction. wink

What can I say?
My work is just tres excellent!
[UBB Novice]
Sponsored Links
Nevermind... I think I understand it now... smile

I only need to add:

require Modules::Compress::cgi_buffer;
import Compress::cgi_buffer
$cgi_buffer::generate_etag = 0;

Probably after line #35 right?

Before or after the vars?

Thanks & sorry for asking newbie-stuff... wink

What can I say?
[UBB Novice]
Here I am again... Think I did something wrong!?

Look at this:

quote:
I did this right did I?

I get the following error:
quote:
What did I do wrong?

Using UBB 6.05

What can I say?
[UBB Novice]
1. The Patch works with UBB V6.0x very fine, I've tested it with this Versions. Using the patch with UBB V6.1x Beta works also good, Allen did this already.

2. You only have to install the cgi_buffer.pm in your Perl-Modules Directory, and the other Modules required by cgi_buffer. In the Ultimatebb.cgi, you have to comment out the Lines "use strict" and "use vars...." . Dont change anything in this Lines, just remove the "#" at the begining. Directly after the "use strict" , I added the Line "use cgi_buffer;" , that should do the Trick.

This works fine on my Linuxserver(Redhat 6.1, Perl 5.005), I never did Perl under Windows or Sun/BSD.

again: the modified Part of my ultimatebb.cgi
/////
use strict;
use cgi_buffer;
use Fcntl ':flock';
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser carpout);
use CGI qw(:cgi-lib :standard);
use vars qw(%........blablabla.......
/////

Willi D

just wonder is this supported in windows IIS hosting with CGI running? confused

====
wayne
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes, it works on IIS, that's what I am testing it on.

Excellent, it seem you have added it correctly. Did you upload the .pm files in ascii? Set their permissions to 755?

I only have one server to test this on... I have signed up with a couple of free providers to test there as well.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Developer
Developer
Any standard Perl install on UNIX will not come with Compress::Zlib automatically. I believe Hypermart for one does not have it. ActiveState actually provides it automatically though if you use their distribution or RPMs.

Best way to check is to run PerlDiver and see for yourself what Perl modules are installed.

qasic

I will try again of course, maybe I did something wrong. smile

I'm going to install it the way WiLD explained, maybe that helps.

In any case, I used a perldiver like Qasic said, and came up with the following info:

• *Perl Version: 5.00503
    *Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 PHP/4.0.6 mod_auth_pam/1.0a mod_ssl/2.8.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6a
    *A lot of modules installed!!

In any case like Qasic said, there wasn't a module installed called: Compress::Zlib or anything likewise. smirk

If I read Qasics remarks correctly, I should download the Activestate stuff? And install it on my webaccount?

I will try to get those files from here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ASPNTOC-ACTIVEPERL-004
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ActivePerl/lib/IO.html

Those where the links Alan posted.

Alan: if your interested I can make you an account on a "old" RAQ3, you can use it how long you want to test it. The server is located in Holland and has nice internet speeds. So if your interested let me know.
But of course please don't put warez/mp3/adult on it. Cause my other clients won't like that. wink

What can I say?
[UBB Novice]
Okay listen up please:

I found the following:
ActivePerl 5.6.1.629
AS Package 9 megabyte file (ugh)

Also it says:
quote:
Does that mean I can install it without using my admin access to the main route, cause since this is only neccesary for the forum I rather not temper with the server settings. confused

Second I'm on ISDN at home, meaning slow upload and download speeds, so I rather be sure then just wasting my time on down-/uploading a 9 mb file. frown

I hope you can use this information.

What can I say?
[UBB Novice]
Hi, i'm having problems with this.

Whenever i put it in i get a software error or 500 error whatever.

I'm using 6.1 beta 4 on a unix server.

Here's what i have for ultimatebb.cgi

quote:

Developer
Developer
Excellent:

From PerlDiver it looks as if you have a UNIX server so you can't use the Windows installer - you need the RPMs that work on your flavour of *nix. Better yet, get your server tech to do tha for you (install Compress::Zib).

Raiyan:

Install PerlDiver from http://www.scriptsolutions.com/ and give us a URL so we may examine what modulse you run.

qasic

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: qasic ]

Developer
Developer
You have MD5 and Compress::Zlib installed. IO::String is included inside this package so there shouldn't be any problems. I probably suspect it's a hacking error. What's the error message inside your error log?

qasic

Thanks Qasic for your info.

I've been reading some info about the mod_gzip and I decided it worth a try on one of my servers to see how it performs.

Cause what I read about it must really boost performance of websites.

Btw this program does the same as UBB Compression right? Only mod_gzip is more "tweakable", and also you preferred this, right?

In any case thanks for all the info and good support.

What can I say?
[UBB Novice]
Developer
Developer
If you can run mod_gzip, go for it and don't worry about cgi_buffer -
it'll be a waste of resources.

mog_gzip can compress your HTML, HTM pages as well - you specify which
file extensions should be compressed if supported and also on a browser by
browser level as well.

You can also tweak the compression setting - cgibuffer uses 4 but 1 is actually better in this circumstance because the balance between cpu time and compression is just not worth the load on your server.

Hope this helps.

q

It probably was, i'll try reinstalling it when 6.1 beta 5 comes out. I think i hacked my board too far when developing the megamod hack.

But i also had that php accelerator by phillip installed, maybe that was the problem?

Where do I put the string.pm file. I keep it with the other file under /cgi-bin/Modules/Compress and when I try to login to ubb I get an error.... ;( I am running 6.1.0 beta 4. What am I doing wrong?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
What does the error say?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Open ultimatebb.cgi, uncomment use strict; and use vars etc etc (lines #30 and #35) and add this:

immediately before your use strict; so that it looks like this:

use strict;
use Fcntl ':flock';
use UBBCGI qw(:cgi);
use UBBCGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser set_message);

use vars qw(%etc etc

That should be all you need to do, tho you may want to clear cache...

Here is the error.....
Software error:
Can't locate IO/String.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-bin c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binModules D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate IO/String.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-bin c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binModules D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate IO/String.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-bin c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binModules D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23. [Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23. Compilation failed in require at c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 30.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Developer
Developer
Inside the UBB Modules directory, create a folder called IO (case sensitive). Then move String.pm there.

qasic

YAHOO!!!! It works!!!! Thanks a lot. cool

Ok not knowing alot about perl modules I had a few questions. First off can you install activestate perl without having access to your perl dir? Second I don't have Compress::Zlib, or
mod::gzip I am on apache and I have the following Apache::GzipChain can I still get this to work on my server?

/me rips his hair out in silence...

This has me confused to date... I've fought with it to no avail- the error messages I am getting confuse me-- I'm hoping one of you guys can shed some light onto it for me... the list of returned errors is HUGE... but here is a snippet...

package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.0/MD5.pm line 22. [Sat Sep 22 22:12:09 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require.

Any suggestions would be great... thanks again...

Would there be any problems with Who's Online with this File Compression hack?

After running PerlDiver I've found one problem as all else is fine, instead of IO::String I have IO::Stringy ?

Also I've placed cgi_buffer.pm in my /cgi-bin root, although any test CGI (PRINT commands) I use returns 500 errors.

Note that I've CHMOD to 755.

Could this be anything to do with cgi_buffers weird PERL heading?
#!/usr/bin/env perl

Never seen that one before.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Upload it in the Modules/Compress folder like it is packaged in the zip or you are gonna have to redo the call to it in ultimatebb.cgi - be sure all .pm files are uploaded in ascii as well.

Jlaine, there's a good chance you don't have all the modules installed on the server. Run perl diver and see which ones are missing. If they are all installed, you shouln't be getting any errors.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Mark, didn't see your other question... I am not familiar with using this on unix/apache servers yet, so it is possible that path might need to be changed, tho I haven't seen it addressed anywhere. You can either change the path to match yours and try it or check the author's web site for more info.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
This looks interesting, I just might try it out smile

-DT
quote:
Will do allen... if it doesn't work I'll be back screaming... wink

Same thing Allen... package 'vars' not registered for warnings.. etc. etc... then the Autoloader.pm line 4 comment...
I have IO::String, MD5, and Compress::Zlib installed, but I still get that failed warning.
I am on my own server so I would not have an issue installing mod_gzip, what is required to activate that program with UBB- perhaps that one would work for me... frown

*edit*
Tried to install mod_gzip, but thanks to the sparse documentation it was a unsure install- and afterward the server 'appeared' offline.

So I'd like to get this one working.. frown

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: jlaine ]

Okay Guys I cant get this thing to work on 6.05. I tried it on my test board 6.14 and I get the following error. I did everything stated here.

Software error:
package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Okay I did perdiver and these are the modules installed

IO::Stringy but I dont see any Compress or Gzip

Developer
Developer
omegatron: Then get your host to install Compress::Zlib.

qasic

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
On the outside chance this might fix it for you JLaine, re-download the zip file again, extract it into the folders they are in the zip file: Compress, IO, and Digest and upload them to your ubbcgi/Modules directory and let me know if the error messages subside at least a little bit. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
On the other side...are there any disadvantaged...after hearing so much positive I want to know if there is anything which could go wrong after installation.

I get script compilation error, and I think this is caused by a wrong path. My path for modules is:

/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/Compress
/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/Digest/Perl
/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/Digest
/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/IO

correct or not ?

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Sn0pD0gG ]

I think I uploaded the cgi_buffer.pm into the wrong directory, where do I upload it to?

I get this:

Software error:
Can't locate Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at ultimatebb.cgi line 30.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63