Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#204035 01/17/2000 9:53 AM
Well , in another thread we began discussing starting a users group.
The truth is hosting is the most difficult part of running a site that requires mid to high end cgi scripts and such.
And having listening to people for some time its clear that lower cost hosting like CIHOST that meets all requirments for such software is rare. Yet the complaints one often hears from the elite high end hosts makes it unclear that paying more means getting more :)

There are places to look up ISP's and ratings..but these tend to be rather...errr biased towards the ISP's that advertise on their sites ;)

Rather than settling here are somethings I think a users group could do:

1. Reseller accounts: I have one of course...and CIHOST guarantees 4 hour response time to email from reseller hosted accounts (12 hours regular)
Some of us could coop...If a bunch hosted with me for instance at MY cost AND as that cost went down theirs would accordingly ....
This could give many access to rather inexpensive hosting (goes all the way to 7.95)
2. Once we are large enough we could make arrangements with ISP's...If CIHOST does not come through we could move . THis might become motivcating since its idea that could easily catch on

3. Would could keep up with those ISP hosts that have the features we need for programs like Threads, Gossamer-links, Hyperseek etc...
And whioch dont kick people off when they become successful smile (beware of communitech)
4. We could help each other with a skill exchange...promotions etc..
Here what would be promoted would be members of the groups sites NOT ISP's
Ideas?

Sponsored Links
OKay..
I am about ready to do this for real ;)
So I am in the process of starrting to gather resources and think about money and such. My initial thought is the way to go is NOT to open up to giving ANYONE resold accounts at cost..since the plan is to provide real additional support that would just be me supplemented cihost for no benefit..
I like helping BUT *smirk*
But if there are some folks looking forwebhosting...Who would be willing to make a committment to help provide customers support and web site building advice and exchanges on our message boards..and help get more people to host with us
that would help get this off the ground.
So make an offer to help build this..and we can play Lets make a deal;)

Renee Levant [b]Oracle Web Services[b]
[email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63