Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208036 02/03/2001 1:56 AM
Lurker
Lurker
I have some questions about the PHP forum version. I'm just a PHP-beginner and I have not really found it out yet. The Perl version is easier but PHP seems to be more interesting.

I have some installing questions how to set up a running version in win 2k for testing and developing locally on my computer. (Not on my webhotell, which don't use microsoft products. )

1. Which webserver do you actually recommend?
IIS (version 4 or higher) or Apache 1.3.14 ( win32_r2.exe version)

2. I downloaded PHP4 in two versions from http://www.php.net, (php404pl1-installer.exe or www.php.net (shouldn't the name be www.php.zip?))

Which one should I use for the forum?

3. I installed IIS and php404pl1-installer.exe version. Earlier I have installed mysql 3.23.31 but I couldn't make it work properly. I got a lot of errorcodes from the PHP-code (Demo version) saying that many configs has an error:
An example:
$config[persistent]= "off" causes an error. If I change it to $config['persistent']= "off" it will work.

Next problem is how to connect to the database. I got an error in this sentence:
$this->dbh = mysql_connect($config['dbserver'],$config['dbuser'],$config['dbpass']);

It don't know what dbh is?

I guess I have done some errors during installtion here??

How do I get a working system?

Edited by Erik_SWE on 02/03/01 01:39 AM.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
In reply to:

1. Which webserver do you actually recommend?

I recommend what comes with windows. Installing third party stuff tends to throw a monkey wrench into the works. Go with IIS now until you get a working board.

In reply to:

2. I downloaded PHP4 in two versions from http://www.php.net, (php404pl1-installer.exe or www.php.net (shouldn't the name be www.php.zip?))

Use the installer version. Seems like I tried that other version without success. I guess if one doesn't work, try the other. []/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/]

In reply to:

Earlier I have installed mysql 3.23.31 but I couldn't make it work properly.

What was it doing? Keep in mind MySQL doesn't automatically place itself into the path. So running a mysql command will give you an error. You have to switch to the c:\mysql\bin directory to run mysql executables (to create your board and grant it permissions). The "MySQL" portions of the help docs in the support library are still relevant for the php version.

In reply to:

I got a lot of errorcodes from the
PHP-code (Demo version) saying that many configs has an error

Not addressing your error, you do have to (per the php installation instructions) change a php-inc file to php.ini and place in one of your windows directories (winnt or winnt\system32) - make sure you read those installation notes. Just because it's an "install" file, that's not all there is to it! In addition, the warnings are "on" by default, which makes for a very chaotic screen. Do the said name change and go into php.ini and find "warnings" using your text search. You'll see an "on" option there you need to turn off.

Did you remember to give your folders "permission" to execute under the "web share" option? Also, go into IIS and under the directory where you put wwwthreads right-click, properties, home directory, and configure (or create if it's greyed out). Scroll down and see if there's a .php extension and that it knows to go to c:\php to the php.exe to execute. If not, point it at php.exe and append %s %s (I assume you need these like you do with perl - it worked for me). Hit okay to get out of it. You may need to restart your IIS for changes to take effect, although it won't tell you you need to.

Good luck with it! []/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/]

- Six
[email protected]
mYth productions

You may want to look at http://www.nusphere.com. They have a pre-packaged (and free) set of the following:

PHP4
MySQL
PERL
Apache Web Server

in all the most current, non-beta releases for download in a 20Mb file. And there are versions for Linux, or Win95, 98, or NT/2K platforms.

---------
Shalazar
www.charisma-carpenter.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849