Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208422 02/15/2001 9:36 AM
Great program! I'm eagerly awaiting the download links for the full version.

Even though this is my first day with PHP, I picked out a few bugs with the demo version that I'd like to pass on. I downloaded the demo PHP version yesterday (couldn't find a "version" number anywhere).

1. Some of the files are not saved as text files. I seemed to have some problems with some of the .php files, and when I opened the subject files with Notepad, they were a jumble of control characters. I fixed this by opening the .php files with WordPad, then resaving them (by default, it saves as type "text"). Now the files look normal in Notepad, and seem to work fine.

2. In the files showflat.php and showthreaded.php, there are two lines where the { } characters are used instead of [ ]. Each line has two of such errors. Just open the files and search for this to find them:

$lang{'SUB_VOTE'}

3. Being new to PHP and a beginner/intermediate level Perl programmer, I initially tried to upload all the .php files to a directory in my cgi-bin directory (and even tried to chmod them when that didn't work - heh heh). My ISP support person quickly pointed out my mistake. But I'd recommend pointing out this step in the directions for the demo so future newbies won't struggle past this like I did. Also, it should be clear that all the files in all the subdirectories need to be uploaded. (I left out the languages directory, since I didn't need multilanguage support to play around with the demo myself - this produced errors when I ran createtable.php)

Now for some questions...

1. Is there a way to display the user's real name on the index page and in the posts instead of their screen name (if they added a "real" name to their profile)? Or is this a feature of the full version that's left out of the demo version?

2. Does anyone know of an addon or hack that allows the system to send out a daily digest of all posts made on a given board? I made such a system for my current (non-database) Perl message boards (from wwwboard - from Matt's Script Archive), and my users love it. I run a tech support site for a multimedia authoring program (www.illuminatusforum.com), and many people like to get a daily list of all the posts, whether they participated in the thread or not.

Thanks again!
John

Sponsored Links
I just downloaded the full PHP version (5.1.6 - .zip version for download), and the same errors are in there as well. The files show lots of control characters in Notepad (perhaps it's rich text format), and the { } characters are used instead of [ ] in in the same places of the showflat.php and showthreaded.php files.

I did find the "subscription" system, which allows daily digests of posts to be sent. Looks like you DID think of everything. :-)

Thanks again!
John

Dalgar #208424 02/16/2001 7:03 AM
One more set of bugs found in both the demo version, and 5.1.6.

The default information for the relative images and stylesheets directories is listed incorrrectly in config.inc.php. First, the default setting of the images directory is "/w3timages", but the images directory included with the files is "/images". But most importantly, the directory names in the config.inc.php file should NOT use the forward slash for relative directory names. If you use "/images" and "/stylesheets", neither IE nor Netscape will find the files. If you use "images" and "stylesheets", everything works fine.

Dalgar #208425 02/16/2001 10:14 AM
Guru
Guru
Thanks for the reports. I'm working on upgrading the PHP version now so I'll get this stuff fixed up.

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63