Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sally #212634 10/18/2001 5:48 AM
where is the member area ?

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
As soon as the new Infopop website comes online today they will be sending out an email to all customers with the new license number and information on the new members area.

UBB.threads Developer
Lurker
Lurker
Shows how much you value customer input.

Sally #212637 10/18/2001 11:51 AM
Lurker
Lurker
"2) The support issue could be better answered by Ted or Charles, but the paid support looks like it is needed if the problems aren't easily resolved. So you still get support like problems with understanding features, bugs, things like that. Like I said, I don't know all of the details on the support side, but I do know that you don't have to pay just to ask a basic question."

If you spend much time on the UBB support forums, you'll see that the moderators are much given to telling people to open a support ticket for which you must pay rather than tryiing to work out the problem in the free forums. This is one of the reasons for people fleeing UBB.

samantha
Sally #212638 10/18/2001 12:07 PM
Lurker
Lurker
"The new prices are actually very comparable to other competing products."

Not really. I was surprised by this acquistion by Infopop, as it appeared to me that they had pretty much lost interest in the small Web site market. It's clear to me, if no one else, that the acquisition is prompted by the success of vBulletin and the growing popularity of the MySql/Php combination for Web site development. However, the pricing is considerably higher than vBulletin for a product that, at this point, has a lot less features and is more difficult to use. Moreover, the main competition in this space - to both w3t and vBulletin, comes from the free (as in beer) boards, whose development is proceeding apace. What paid boards will have to offer to compete is ease of use in installation, customization, and integration, including top-notch documentation. This is not an area where W3T is strong and until it is, I can't see it denting vBulletin's growth at these prices.

samantha
Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
[:blue]However, the pricing is considerably higher than vBulletin for a product that, at this point, has a lot less features and is more difficult to use.

Can't say I agree with that point... I'll take W3T over any other forum out there right now... and I've looked at vB, ZeroBoard, UB2k, DC forum, etc etc etc. Understandable that the increase isn't really what we all wanted to see, but I don't think it's really that unreasonable.

Muhammad
kimroan #212640 10/18/2001 11:23 PM
Presumably those of us who have purchased wwwthreads (and have never given money to infopop) do not actually have our license change at all, and are free to use our software in accordance with the license we purchased (And which, contractually, Infopop is obligated to honor).

Or is it Infopop's position that all existing w3t installs are now under the Infopop license, (e.g., one license for each install instead of for each domain, licenses "expiring" where you'll have to pay even if you don't want updates but still want to continue to USE it, etc.), because if THAT is the assertion, there's a whole 'nother can of legal worms being opened here where existing w3t users could quite easily ask for refunds of all license fees paid (including PAST license fees, since their present use would be affected)

JMFH #212641 10/19/2001 6:53 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
Nah, they're saying you can use your license under the old terms even if you download updates... but on their site it says by downloading you agree to the terms of the license. Easy choice for me since the PERL isn't being touched anyway... I haven't downloaded it off of the IP site, and won't need to.

But according to what they posted here, you should be able to continue to use the PHP and continue to upgrade it and keep it installed as many times as you want on one domain.

Muhammad
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63