Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just had a guy sign up with abuse address of my internet provider!
Depending on the circumstances, the provider can get regular replies to indecent threads,or regular daily mailings of board postings with no recourse to unsusbscribe!!!!

URGENT features

We will all be labelled spammers. Not only a bad reputation, but our domains may actually be put on email spam filters and blocking lists

What we need is

a) a one click automatic opt out link in all emails like replies to posts and subscription to boards!! I suggest that the opt-out asks one more time "are you sure" before the subscription gets cancelled. the opt out should stop ALL automatic mailings!

b) email verification, before subscriptions to boards will be sent out
(email verification means the person has to click on a link or fill out a form with a password, to confirm he really wants to receive the stuff). this is also important in the case of email changes! these must be verified!!

c) a bounce check. if email bounces 3 times, it will be automatically unsubscribed.
in this respect, it would be very good if people could sign up with the password of their choice, and receive an email with a verification code. Once the verification code is used, only one time, then the chosen password is active, not an awkward random password!!!

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Excellent idea!!

Power User
Power User
I agree that i worry about getting labeled as spam with daily mailings. would be nice to atleast have the "click here to unsubscribe" and goes to their control panel/my home. would be a nice kind of script..
so yea on 'a'
b might be okay, but would be somewhat of an annoyance too, and slightly more programming work.
and c, i dunno if it's possible to do without having threads integrated somehow with the email server. maybe with some script to check email on the next cron scheduled send, but it could get messy, differnt mail servers having differnt responses, and maybe like telling the differnce between "message delayed" vs "message refused" etc.. could all get very complicated.. but i will say that 'a.' would be a nice feature

Addict
Addict
Having been a SpamCop user for two years, I strongly agree with (b). I don't think any of Infopop's products comply with the confirmed opt-in provisions of MAPS Basic Mailing List Management Principles for Preventing Abuse. Although UBB.classic, UBB.threads and OpenTopic are not mailing lists, they have mailing-list-like features, and should conform to those guidelines.

(a) would be useful, but not sufficient without (b). Almost all of the spam I get has an opt-out link.

Regarding (c), bounce checks would also be useful. I'd prefer that after the three bounces, the user gets flagged (U_Bounce or something), and an admin could choose whether or not to remove the user or try to resolve the issue.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
or later when they change their email address without further verification.

>>I agree that i worry about getting labeled as spam with daily mailings.
>>would be nice to atleast have the "click here to unsubscribe" and
>>goes to their control panel/my home.

this is not enough. to get to the control panel, a password is needed. and additional knowledge on how to unsubscribe.

It should go to a page especially for unsubscribing, which asks only one more time "are you sure?"

authentication should be through the link provided in the mail, it should contain the email address plus some other crypted authentication.

Note: the entire email address might be fake. My email is [][email protected][/] and lots of people just invent [][email protected][/] or anything else from my domain when they register for something and want to invent an email address.

I get extremely annoyed when the website requests a password from me when I want to unsubscribe.

They never asked my permission in the first place, when they subscribed me!! how would i be able to know a password another jerk set up when he abused my email address!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
(a) would be useful, but not sufficient without (b). Almost all of the spam I get has an opt-out link.

>> yes but our spam is repeated daily, so the opt out link would be useful, even on its own!!!!!

Regarding (c), bounce checks would also be useful. I'd prefer that after the three bounces, the user gets flagged (U_Bounce or something), and an admin could choose whether or not to remove the user or try to resolve the issue.

>> again, this would be best optionally automatic or manual ...

PS> I am also a spam cop user, I already got flagged by them for other things, I am surprised I never got flagged for the 500 daily email summaries I send out

Veteran
Veteran
Two thoughts here - 1) do not allow users to select a password, instead email it to them. If it then bounces back, then it should be automatically deleted, either that or every so often purge all those with zero posts.

2 ) If you are getting this problem mario2, can't you remove the catch-all from your domain, so that only the emails addresses you choose will be valid. This will cause all these others to bounce.

Ian.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Gorlum #215709 05/04/2002 10:44 AM
Power User
Power User
I've taken a slightly different approach which I hope will help as I think (not sure) but quantity is involved in weighing 'spam', and handling mailings to users.
Each quarter, I add a new group like 2002Q1, 2002Q2, and throw the switch for the default group on or about the time the quarters change. Now I can divide up batches of outgoing with ease and also get to see and query the site growth progress right away. I check the bounces every day or two and simply remove the users subscriptions. If the user has a distant last on date, they're history. Certainly the entire users group could be queried by date to produce similar results, but this is just too easy.
Seems to work pretty well.

www.UtterAccess.com

Gord Hubbell

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63