Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am always surprised that seemingly all thread users seem to have unlimited traffic allowances and computing power.

And all website visitors have DSL connections (some of mine have 3rd world dialins at theoretical speeds of 14 k, but effective speeds of 2k!)

I am paying dearly for having chosen threads as my software (excess traffic charges,database overload)

a)automatic archive board
one of my boards has now 80 000 posts. This, I presume, is the reason the database alone uses 30-100% of the cpu time of a celeron 700, with only 10-35 users present!

I presume, if I could use a well integrated and autmatic archive board (which would rarely be used), and left only 1000 posts on the main board, the load would drop considerably!!

QUESTION: maybe a few sql commands can set up this archiving? where are the database gurus? move all posts except the last 1000 posts to the archive board. Also copy the most recent version of the user data to the archive board.

Actually, some people suggested to make the archive board static html! but a regular board would also do, no posting allowed.

b) optional disabling of server hogging features

disallow searches, or disallow certain searches, or require special permits for searches

also, certain things like constant updating of "who is where" lists are non-essential "niceties" that create huge amounts of unnecessary database calls. The webmaster should be able to disconnect it!

3) traffic allowance and speed
To save my big excess traffic bill, and make access faster for those with the 2k dialins, I made a "faster leaner output" version of threads. Basically it does NOT use frames, but more a Matt's WWWBoard-like output. It also removes all unnecessary long complete urls in exchange for relative urls.It makes the beginning of the page load 10 times faster (because it does not wait for 2 minutes till the entire table is loaded), and the entire page to load up to 3 times faster with 1/3 of the traffic cost!!!!

4) frames versions and certain (optional) caching provisions would also greatly reduce database load and traffic

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'd really like to see some sort of "Archive Board" feature. This is a growing concern on my board as well. I'd like to have the ability to execute a cron job similar to doexpire.pl and have it reguarly move threads from one database to another. I've asked about this before but I didn't get much of an answer. []/forum/images/icons/frown.gif[/]

Addict
Addict
oops, wrong thread I replied to. Sorry

Last edited by msula; 04/30/2002 8:54 AM.
Lurker
Lurker
Yes, we´d like to see such a function, too.

Especially if you have turned on the "Mark New Posts"-function since this causes a query with costs of n^2.

Any comments from official side on this?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i posted a reply about this earlier. This is how i think this sohuld be done:
either one more column should be added into the w3t_posts table. or use an existing column that doesn't get much use. in that column, you just say "A" or something to say that this post is archived. This post can no longer be posted to, but people can read it at will. The information is still i the database to not muck up searching and postlist showing and what not. in postlist you do something like, if "A" then show html. not showflat.php, show html. in dosearch you do the same. This will reduce server load on reading posts but not on postlist. you can go the extra mile and make an archive board, where every post in that board is archived. and no new posts can be made onto that board. and where there is zero db queries or 1 or 2. You can make a whole forum of archived posts. i made an html site for teh previous company that i worked for. The information on there catalog didn't change all that much, so i made a spider script to spider teh website and make html of everything, so the db was only queried when i ran that spider script. this can be done the same for the archiving of the posts that you are talking about.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63