Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 41
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
A little more feedback on the user interface:
The poll results are a little complicated to figure out, at least when there are 5 or more options. Each option results seem to be braking in two lines, so its hard to tell, other than looking much more carefully and calculating possitions, if the graph is for what it says above or what it says below (what option is it for).

Maybe there could be a linebreak between each option, or put the results in rows with visible margins. That is, more clearly separate poll option results.

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I had thought about having the table row alternate in background color. What do you think?

sjsaunders #216008 06/09/2002 11:57 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Writes JustDave:
Wraith, it already does check to see if it's cutting in the middle of html and moves to the end of the closing tag. It is still in the early stage and I know I can fine tune it some but as far as I can tell it's working? That is, the post information such as views replies and read more are not being dragged into the post because of a unclosed html tag. If you have a post this is not working on please let me know so I can see what html tags it's messing up on. I will work on improving it.
If you check out my index page, you'll see a few posts that have been cut in the middle of an html tag resulting in the text at the bottom (ie. X replies, X bytes more, etc.) either ending up colored or somehow messed up.

It appears to only be occuring when the post is cut in the middle of a color tag. There are probably two or three examples on my index page that you can look at.

SDS #216009 06/10/2002 12:12 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Strange...

Wraith,

There seems to be some html in your posts that I hadn't expected..

such as:

<font color="red">Sarah Michelle Gellar</font color>

The closing tag </font color> isn't expected by the script.

I also seen some non xhtml compliant line breaks, <br> which is another thing that the script isn't looking for. This was mostly do to the fact that with xhtml the script can see all closings of the tags, even with single tags.

[:"red"]This cut:[/]
<font color="red">Selma Blair</font[:"red"]...[/]<P ALIGN=RIGHT>

may have worked but I suspect that the </font> tag was </font color> and the script didn't land where it should have.

Is anyone else having problems with posts being displayed in the news/article section? I'm not sure but is the strange closing tag for the <font> tag something .threads is doing? Or is this some xhtml thing? This is freaky...

Edit Note: It would seem that the [ color: somecolor ] markup [ / color ] tag is creating the strange font closing tag. I wonder if the the posts will display correctly once that tag is fixed?

Last edited by JustDave; 06/10/2002 12:21 AM.
sjsaunders #216010 06/10/2002 12:39 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I happened to notice that as well, but didn't think much of it (ie. the closing </font color> tag). I think it's most likely a mistake in the software since I'm not aware that XHTML requires that <font> tags be closed in that manner. We'll have to wait and see what Rick has to say.

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by JustDave
I had thought about having the table row alternate in background color. What do you think?
That would probably be the best (much better than line breaks that take extra space). I actually thought of that, but didnt suggest as I thought it would be too much work for you.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
your quote didn't work... strange...

I will have the poll changed for 5.0 accordingly

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Writes JustDave:
your quote didn't work... strange...
I think that has something to do with the language being hardcoded instead of relying on the correct tags. I'm going to take a look and see if placing the correct codes in will correct that.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi,
at our board the "start page" is the ubbthreads.php, but I found a cool way to still use PAL as a 'Stats' page for my users

See my board (and make sure to log in to see it
Info atached in the signature below.

Greetings

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Hi caymuc

That's a good way to put the index pal to use if your not using it as your main index page! Very nice.

I clicked on the link in your signature and got a 404 error....

This URL works though..

http://www.colour-ize.de/php/forum/ubbthreads.php

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Good idea.

You could of course rename the index.php page to stats.php if you already had an IIP.

Create a separate pals directory, from which you need to link correctly to in configpal.php.

Then just replace line 22 of menupal.php (in new pal directory) from

if (!(eregi("index.php",$phpSelf))) {

to

if (!(eregi("stats.php",$phpSelf))) {

In the stats.php (which you renamed the second index.php to) change the pals directory in line 14.

Finally configure configpal to how you want the stats version to appear.

Regards,

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
When yo ugot the 404 I was probably just uploading my new index.php, a simple code duplication of wwwtreads.php, that redirects to ubbtreads.php.

The PALS index.php is now moved into the PALS folder and targeted from the THREADS "Stats" menu, so everything's working fine here now and I didn't actually needed to rename it.

Veteran
Veteran
Writes caymuc:
The PALS index.php is now moved into the PALS folder and targeted from the THREADS "Stats" menu, so everything's working fine here now and I didn't actually needed to rename it.

Great - I wasn't really referring to you renaming it, just thought I would include the above info in case anyone else wanted to do a similar thing, but already had a IIP on their forums.

Ian

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Writes msula:
Had a few users complain since the upgrade lastnight.. the index page is loading very slow while the rest of the board is fast, if not faster than before. Here are the stats:

Generated in 2.901 seconds. 26 queries. <-- index.php
Generated in 0.065 seconds. 23 queries. <-- ubbthreads.php

What is the dramatic difference? The old PAL I was using never had a problem, and the old one had headers and footers with graphics in them. Right now I don't have the graphics up yet, so its purely text for the most part.

zlib is disabled, but shouldn't matter, as the threads index loads like lightning, but the index doesn't Any ideas?

Just wanted to let you know I have your database set up and being used with .threads 6.0 and IIP 5.0 on my machine here at home.

When I visited your site I was getting 3.8xx on the generation times with IIP 4.3
On my local machine I'm getting .7xx with 5.0 which is 5 times faster! I'm sure this doesn't mean every site will see an increase of 5 times when I release 5.0 but I think it will be a boost none the less.

Addict
Addict
wow, thanks for the update. Looks very promising! Keep up the great work.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I haven't taken my main site to Threads6.0 yet. Still playing with and installing hacks etc.
So maybe I should wait on Integrated Index Page.

Any rough idea of timeframe for you to release 5.0 IIP???

PS - JustDave you're a genius.

Daine #216022 06/11/2002 12:43 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I hate to say it but I don't really know or have a time frame in mind. I have stopped adding features and am working on making everything templated to match .threads and I also want to put in a control panel for setting things up more easily from the .threads admin section. One other thing I am keen on making is an archival feature for .threads so that old posts can be expired to a different table but have everything in tact such as permissions. Lowering the amount of information the index has to wade through will speed things up too.

I too would like to get this next release out as soon as possible. I can't upgrade my main site till I get it done so I'm waiting on myself... lol

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Writes JustDave:
I am keen on making is an archival feature for .threads so that old posts can be expired to a different table but have everything in tact such as permissions. Lowering the amount of information the index has to wade through will speed things up too.
I can't even begin to tell you how invaluable this will be for me. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. If you'd like to chat about some ideas on how it could theoretically work, let me know.

I'm usually online most evenings and I can be reached on either AIM, ICQ, or MSN. Send me a PM and I can provide you with the information.

Addict
Addict
Just got this message on my board...

[]Just an FYI, I can't bring up the www.michiganjeepers.com link using Netscrape 4.79...... If I copy and paste a message board link in Netscrape, it works, but the main index page doesn't.

is this a known bug/problem? I don't want to dismiss it as a problem on his end unless I know for sure. Thanks.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Dave:

How is the modification coming for the newspal.php script regarding the use of the </font color> tag used by UBB.threads?

Just curious if you had a quick fix or whether it will need to wait until v5.0

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I had a request for better category support some time ago and I didn't think it would be that hard so I tossed it into a 4.3 copy. It didn't work so I ended up killing a day to make it work... lol

I'll put a few other things into 4.3 and release it as 4.4 sometime in the next day or two. I really don't want to spend to much time on it as I would rather get everything finished up for 5.0 as far as the templates and control panel go.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Is the link in question the one placed into the menu bar along side "main idex" located in registerednav.tmpl and unregisterednav.tmpl ?

If so there shouldn't be any reason for it to not work. It is like the other links in the menu bar.

I just got my new box put together and I'll be down for a while tonight. Once I'm back up I'll be able to start installing all of the various browsers so I can see first hand on some of this stuff. I'll let you know what I find.

On a side note, you can't see me but I'm clutching my head with both hands ranting "Netscape 4.7... aaaaahhhrrrrgggg the bane of my web design existance" and a few "woe is me"'s in there for good measure.. LoL

Lurker
Lurker
Error = "Index page closed for maintenance.
Please check back later. Thanks."

What would cause this to be displayed as my Index.php? I am currently trying to get the site up and running, I have Threads working well, and im brushing up on my HTML, but I really like this hack/mod and want to have a nice beautiful index.php as well.. Here is the URL to my site http://64.124.221.23/ubbthreads/index.php

Any help would be great..

Hi,

The users are currently logged in the forum but they don't see the status box but rather the login box. Also cookies are enabled. Any fix?

Also, at the main page of Threads Developers, they have boxes under New Member to show additional news. How can I do that? Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
Check the last line of configpal - you need to change this setting to enable it to become live.

Regards,

Ian.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Unless this has changed with the latest version (I'm one version behind)... but in the configpal.php (inside the pals folder) make sure the variable $configured is set to "1". If set to "O" your site is "closed".

This feature is there so that you can have it closed while you are configuring things etc....

That should do it.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
those are all settings in the config file... check them out, there's a lot there

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
haha.. yeah.. i got everything working now... phew.. i'm so new to this! thanks again!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
This will happen if your cookies are not set to be site wide. Check your cookie path in your config.inc.php file and make sure it is set to "/"

sjsaunders #216035 06/15/2002 11:29 AM
Power User
Power User
My site already uses the ubbtnews addon and I had previously hacked a login addon which I used on my site with threads v5.5, but after upgrading to v6.0 it no longer works.

I had already tried modifying the loginpal.php script, adding the necessary requires, etc, but eventually came to a problem where users that were already logged in were receiving the "Warning: headers already sent.." message whenever they re-visited the site.

I checked for trailing carriage returns and line feeds after closing php tags, and couldn't find any. So, I was wondering if anyone can get a pal working on it's own?

kja #216036 06/15/2002 11:44 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I'm not sure if anyone has made the login pal a standalone script or not. One of the problems you may be having is that the index.php page does the authentaction and the loginpal.php script displays accordingly. Also, make sure that the send_header function isn't being used more than once as this will cause the "headers already sent" error too.

Let me know how it goes.

User
User
Hiya,

I have setup the new index, but at the top of the index page I get the following errors. I have no idea why, not the greatest php scripter in the world

errors are : (They appear right at the top of the index above the header

Warning: Undefined variable: theme in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 138

Warning: Undefined variable: theme in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 140

Warning: Undefined variable: friendname in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Warning: Undefined variable: sendername in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Warning: Undefined variable: config in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Warning: Undefined variable: yourmessage in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Any ideas?

Cheers
Sadgit

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I know others have had these kinds of errors before. I'm not exactly sure what's going on when this happens though.

Has anyone else had/solved this problem?

User
User
anyway of supressing these errors? well warnings..

Are these variables you created or are they part of ubbthreads?

P.S. This happens on ever forum I create.... made a few test sites and always happens...

Last edited by sadgit; 06/15/2002 12:19 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I know the cause, more or less, just haven't fixed the way the index gets it's information.

In your index.php page find this:
code:

include "{$palspath}configpal.php";

if ($configured) {

// load required files
require ("{$index2threadsPath}main.inc.php");
include "{$palspath}requirepal.php";

// load variables

and change it to this:

code:

$configured = 1;
if ($configured) {

// load required files (set to correct path)
require ("path/to/your/main.inc.php");

Just make sure you have the path/to/your/main.inc.php file correct and this should stop the errors.

User
User
am I being thick??

put this in

$configured = 1;
if ($configured) {

// load required files (set to correct path)
require ("c:\inetpub/wwwroot/test");

and now the index page won't load at all..
I now get

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'c:\inetpub/wwwroot/test' (include_path='..') in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\index.php on line 23

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Not sure but would

require ("c:\inetpub/wwwroot/test");

need to be

require ("c:/inetpub/wwwroot/test");

or possibley on windows it needs to be:

require ("c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test");

I think it should be ("c:/inetpub/wwwroot/test");
I remember runing wwwthreads perl & php version on iis
forward slashs is what it needs

User
User
All sorted... thanks for the help..
I hadn't put the main.inc.php at the end of the path..

Power User
Power User
OK I got it working finally.

I was originally requiring main.inc.php in my hacked loginpal.php which was resulting in the headers already sent errors (still don't know why). But when I moved the require to my site's main index.php (where loginpal.php is included) then all is well.

I'm just curious as to why you authenticate the user? Doesn't authentication occur by requiring main.inc.php?

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849