Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Addict
Addict
You might want to participate in the "speed discussions" in the "How do I" forum.
A good configuration of mysql is essential for a fast .threads forum. If the db is slow, threads can't be fast either.

I'm running a large .threads board with about 980.000 posts and about 300 users online at peak times.
It mainly depends on your MySQL configuration. You can increase performance with tuning the search and a few other things.

Feel free to contact me, if you have any specific questions. I've tweaking and tuning for several .threads owners.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
As far as speed is concerned as well, you never mentioned what type of server you have this on. I assume it is a dedicated server considering the size of your site. But for instance, are you running a RAID configuration? How much RAM? Dual or single CPUs? These things can make a tremendous difference in speed.

Also, like Astaran said, tweaking MySQL is much more important with threads/vb due to the nature of the software... for tweaking MySQL for busy forums, you may want to check out this thread (assuming you have the newest MySQL installed)

http://forum.rackshack.net/showthread.php?threadid=20983&highlight=my.cnf

Just updating my server's my.cnf file with some settings mentioned in that thread, my server loads went down about 30% over a standard mySQL config... just more options to look at

Addict
Addict
Yeah!!! Anytime Jeremy improves his servers is good news for me and my users! Keep up the awesome work!

And to respond to...

[]while the last five comments in this thread are nice they don't help at all I bet you guys didn't migrate from Classic.[/]

I migrated from Classic to Threads and absolutely LOVE Threads over Classic. My users agree as well!

Addict
Addict
I migrated from ubb.Classic as it was called "UBB" and ubb.threads was called wwwthreads. There was no importer, so i had to write it myself.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've migrated quite a few sites from classic to threads, some of them several times larger than the one in question. If the server is setup right, it flies

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
User
User
Three of us have been reading the various sections on this site for ideas on how to add back the features we lost in the conversion.

I take back my comment about being cranky. I am still not happy with how the swap was portrayed over the fone by Infopop salespeople. They should say that it's completely different and that bears very little similarity to Classic. I made a specific point to talk to a few folks at Infopop about the differences and the advantages of Threads and so far I'm still mad. I guess I shouldn't really really on folks who answer phones to give me a accurate bead on why the swap was worth it.

I'm still waiting for the Infopop people to ditch the attitude and say "whoa that sucks shoot me a list of what's wrong and let's see what we can direct you to..." Instead I get the attitude.

I'm about ready to switch to something else.

We need like 25 more hacks to get back to the Classic setup.

WTF and I still have like 130 folks who can't logon.

John
Frustrated at you

Veteran
Veteran
What sort of server are you on? Do you run it yourself or are on on a hosting account with another company?

My clients run a few threads sites on my servers, and they all go great guns. However the server is important. On my old server, it was not so brilliant - I will be the first to admit it - but it was down to the hardware not threads.

We can't directly help you with your issues with IP - but you will find plenty of first class mods in the modifications forum above.

As far as the logging in issues, these are usually connected with either the referrer issue (they are running a firewall), or they have corrupt cookies.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
John, we'd love to assist you, but you still continue to speak in generalities without giving us much to go on.

What's your server setup? We may be able to assist you in tweaking it. Hardware/software/pageviews/people online in a 10 minute period

What features are you missing? We probably have 1-2 mods here for every feature you are looking for...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
[]WTF and I still have like 130 folks who can't logon.
[/]

John you can use JustDave's mycookie hack to have all users clear there cookies. I found when I switched the same thing happened but rightfully so. Think about it everyone has a cookie for your site stored on their computer. Now these are corrupt and invalid. They need to be cleared to allow proper login. Now everyone is affected by this but some need to manually clear their cookie cache and try logging in again.

Like Allen stated if you answered some questions we may be able to assist you.

User
User
Thanks guys.

Our site is housed on a server hosted by a friend. I can get the specs on Monday. I went through the specs with someone from Infopop and they thought that it was powerful enough to run the site.

I'll come up with a list of needed features/ issues and see if you guys have any ideas, I really appreciate it.

One question is whether folks are staying logged in or not. Some folks say they are needing to log in over and over, is that a cookies issue on their end?

I think we need to do a complete review our our hardware and software, because we are currently running at the same speed or slower than before when we were on the latest edition of Classic.

I'm getting worn out with the negative responses from the users. A few credible friends mentioned that it took them like two days to figure how to use the site.

Site's down right now and I'll have to see what's up later. I have a feeling we are crashing the server because before on Classic we would crash the server maybe once every five months... later.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Meeting the specifications for the software is one thing. But having MySQL properly configured and tuned on the server is another thing.
Sort of garbage in garbage out logic. If you're system isn't properly tuned then performace will suck. It'll suck whether you use threads of VB. In fact IMO Threads is built a little more stable from the back end to be as efficient as possible. You may have more trouble with software that's even more demanding.

[]One question is whether folks are staying logged in or not. Some folks say they are needing to log in over and over, is that a cookies issue on their end?
[/]

All in how you have it configured. If you are using cookies, users can click "remember me" when they login. If you are using sessions they cannot. In the config file there is a cookie expiration time. Cookies will expire in that number of seconds regardless.
If users computer clocks are wrong, then sometimes cookies will be expired sooner or right away and cause problems.

[] A few credible friends mentioned that it took them like two days to figure how to use the site.
[/]
Perhaps not the quickest people in the mix. But Threads is different from Classic. It's not the same.... it's not related in any way. Infopop makes no secret of that. VB is different from Classic and different from threads. Users have this learning curve whenever you change software. But if users have that much difficulty, then there's nothing you can do about this, other than not change anything.

You should be worlds better speed wise than Classic... if things are properly setup on the server and MySQL is tuned properly. I'm not the expert in this reguard, but some folks here offer MySQL tuning as a service. If your server people don't know what they are doing, the best spent money would be getting MySQL tuned correctly.
That'll be the difference between day and night, and will improve performance on any MySQL based software.... not just threads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63