Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I've read the problem with stylesheets post below and still have a problem

I seem to have the same problem and the answer above doesn't really seem to fix it. I, as admin, want to define which stylesheet to use for a particular forum, design the look and feel of each forum. When I - for example - set "black & Blue" as the style sheet to use for forum xyz it remains set to the default. How do I set this up so that I control the look and feel of each individual forum - not the end user?

Thanks

K.

Glen Lachart

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can edit the place where they choose their stylesheet from the template file.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks Allen - but I guess I'm a bit thick - does this mean that the styles defined for the site and then the forums regardless of who I am, guest, user, moderator, adminitrator are ultimately user controlled? So that for example if I as Admin have in my Home Page settings the default style selected then I as administrator cannot alter the style settings for individual forums - unless I alter them for myself?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Not without a modification... you can specify individual headers/footers for a forum, but the css files are global.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I see, I read one of Josh's posts where he hacked something like this:
if ($Board == "Jokes") {
include ("$thispath/templates/$tempstyle/showflatrating.tmpl");
}
else {
include ("$thispath/templates/$tempstyle/showflat.tmpl");
}

Which file would I have to modify so that If I assigned each form it's own syle sheet it would use the one I assined - or the default.

I gues this is sort of like UBB Classic where each forum could have it's own look and feel

Thanks

K

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
You can already assign specific stylesheets per forum but a users's stylesheet preference will override what you have set but this is only for them. Are you trying to take away the users's ability to choose a stylesheet to use? If so then go to your admin area and edit your theme settings. You should see this line:

"The following stylesheets were found in your stylesheet directory. Place a checkmark by those you want to make available to your users."

Just remove the checks from them so your users can't select them.

Of course I'm not sure if this willl affect the ability to assign the different stylesheets to different boards but I wouldn't think it would...

Thanks dave - but again - back to the begining - there IS an option in the admin panal to assign a forum specific style sheet BUT when i choose it or a style sheet there it doesn't stick and reverts to the default sylesheet - why do they have an option to assign a stlysheet to a forum in the admin panal if as Allen says above UBBT uses one forum wide style sheet and allows users to swap this out - but it affects everything?

I understand that I can of course limit the stylesheets available by unchecking them - but I can't seem - as Admin to assign particular style sheets to particular forums as the admin panal seems to give me the option to do.

The admin panal says: what style sheet do you want to use for this forum? No matter which sheet I pick it stays set on "use default"

BTY IIP 5.0 rocks!

Thanks

K

Last edited by Kerouac; 09/10/2002 12:09 PM.
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Ok I just tested different style sheets in different boards with 6.1br1 and it seems to be working as I thought it did.

I assigned a forum a specific stylesheet (the blues) when I created it. (I can't edit a forum with 6.1br1 because of a bug)

All of the rest of the site is using the "infopop" stylesheet.

Provided my personal display preferences are set to "Always use default" then I see (the blues) when using the new forum but the rest of the site is still "infopop".

If you remove the stylesheet choices from the users then the only thing left should be "Always use default" in their display prefs. Now they will only see what you want them to see.

Or, am I still missing the boat on this... lol

Thanks about IIP too

AH, I too am using 6.1br - but I seem to be able to use the edit a forum option - could this be what's happening? I'm editing an existing forum, assigning a style sheet other than "default' and the "bug" has me? All I want to do is exactly what you've described above.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That's quite possible. You may not be seeing the MySQL errors being reported. In 6.1br1 you can't edit a forum as it just doesn't take because of the bug.

I'm not sure but I think br2 may be in the member's area.

Sponsored Links
AH HA! I get it now - I'm an idjit! I created a stylesheet that I'd assigned as the default theme. In my Homepage settings - rather than use default - I had the style sheet I'd created (the default) selected - to me I assumed that I WAS using the default - but NO I was telling it to use the style sheet called "default' as the default not the default - confusing eh? Got it now

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
LoL ok well that's still good news..

btw, I didn't seen anything but br1 for betas in the members area.

I'm using 6.1b1 and seem to be able to edit forums just fine

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Shhhhhhh... don't jinx it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63