Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
Hi

Sorry for the long message here..but I am behind on my upgrades [:"red"] (mostly because I was scared to death to upgrade) [/] and would like to know the smoothest, fastest and easiest way to do an upgrade from v6.02 to 6.1.1

I am asking here because I have hacked the board..but have only 10 or so hacks and I stupidly didnt write them all down ..but have a fairly good idea what they are.

Everybody here has been so helpful before and since I know this may be one of those roll your eyes questions, I am happy to trade my services for someone else's help.
no comments from the peanut gallery..I mean webdesign, marketing or research services.)

[:"blue"] I know v6.1.1 is a full upgrade and the manual doesnt cover v6.02[/] (only v6.03)

I also have a ton of stylesheets I dont want to lose..so how can I upgrade everything and not lose anything?

I have Beyond Compare..but like I said, I can't remember the actual names of all the mods and the files themselves (i.e. showflat.php etc)

[:"red"]I.E. Here's what I remember modifing:[/]

* Added a additional title to the main index bar

*Added Inline Image hack to show images within the message (for both registered & non registered users)

*Added disk icon for attachments

*Change username hack(within admin panel)

* Sticky post pin icon

*Show logged in name when previewing posts

*Take out email option when signing up

*Take out text that apears when signing up
(email has been sent to you..blah blah

*Title name added within profile under actual name

*"Read Post" as a visited link colour (this I remember was a hack to the postlist.php file)

* Quick Reply Mod (I never did get this one to work in threaded AND flat modes)

So I guess my questions are:

1. Does anyone know the exact files for the mods above? I mean the exact names of the files that are modified?

2. Since this is a full upgrade...if I just upgrade over top my existing board, wont I lose everything including stylesheets and users as well?

3. What is the fastest, smoothest and easiest way to get this done?

OR. . and I added this as an afterthought

4. [:"blue"] I did do a clean install of v6.1.1 on another server (the server that I want to eventually move the message board to) ..would it be easier to just move my existing v6.02 board over and on top of the newer install? Is that possible? Is it easier to do that? [/]

Any help is appreciated...I can follow step by step instructions

Anyone need a website?

Lerosia

[:"red}Ifyouwanttomakeyourcomputergoreally,reallyfast,thowitoutthewindow[/color"]
Sponsored Links
Calis #226749 10/24/2002 8:53 AM
User
User
Well I probably spoke too soon..I decided to just wing it and go for the gusto and just update everything with the upgrade.

And it worked..! Not even an altertable problem!
I am truly shocked it went so smoothly.

And something very strange happened..most of my mods were still in tact! How can that be?

The only ones that werent in tact were the Inline Images and the welcome email..

Very very strange indeed

Now I have to figure out how to move this over to another server painlessly.

Stay tuned for a few more questions

Lerosia

[:"red}Ifyouwanttomakeyourcomputergoreally,reallyfast,thowitoutthewindow[/color"]
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Frist thing is to check the "Changedfiles" file with version 6.1.1. All scripts were modified, but only a handful of templates I believe.

*Added Inline Image hack to show images within the message (for both registered & non registered users)
That's the ubbt_registerednav.tmpl and ubbt_unregisterednav.tmpl files. I don't believe they were modified. You can keep existing ones.

*Added disk icon for attachments
That's in showflat.php and showthreaded.php. With the introduction of the download counter etc... you should add that one back in.

*Change username hack(within admin panel)
I posted updated instructions to this hack.... you should add this one back in.

* Sticky post pin icon
This is now a standard feature of 6.1

*Show logged in name when previewing posts
I wrote the instructions for this one for you. I'll dig up the instructions (I think they are over at community) and see if they will work in 6.1

Template mod I think to newuser.tmpl file..... again, that template file probably wasn't modified. Check the changedfiles file.

*Take out text that apears when signing up
(email has been sent to you..blah blah
Don't remember this, you can modify the language files for adduser or the adduser.tmpl file

*Title name added within profile under actual name
??? prob. showprofile.tmpl

*"Read Post" as a visited link colour (this I remember was a hack to the postlist.php file)
You need NOT overwrite the stylesheets folder....keep your existing stylesheets and all this will be fine.

* Quick Reply Mod (I never did get this one to work in threaded AND flat modes)
Check the thread in the finished mods forum for the most recent version and reinstall. Still ~sorta~ working in 6.1.1... there's a few bus (that I am experiencing)

Hope that helps a bit!

User
User
Hi Josh

Thank you..I am just about done with the hacks

The only one I couldnt get to work was this:

Template mod I think to newuser.tmpl file..... again, that template file probably wasn't modified. Check the changedfiles file.

I sent you an email regarding this..and I believe I found the original mod you sent to me

I think the template files are different in 6.1.1

Its not allowing me to signup a new user now

Lerosia

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]The only one I couldnt get to work was this:

[/]

In case anyone is following along... I forgot to mention above... removing the email from the template file doesn't quite do it.... you also need to remove the check for email address in the adduser.php script.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63