Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#228202 11/22/2002 9:49 AM
Addict
Addict
I just found a standard feature in Mozilla which adds a set of navigation buttons just below the location bar at the top of the screen. There are buttons like Top, Up, First, Prev, Next, Last etc and it's really easy to use them, it's just a matter of adding a link tag in the header for each one containing the URL they should link to. I've attached an image showing the placement of the buttons.

I just did a quick hack for the postlist which makes use of these buttons to move around the pages. It's really neat. =] Although I've had to insert them outside the header at the moment which isn't xhtml compliant.

Is there a similar function in Explorer?

Is anyone interested of having a mod that makes use of these buttons on all pages?
Attachments
60884-navbuttons.png (0 Bytes, 73 downloads)

Sponsored Links
I am a fan of Mozilla and never noticed this myself. If there is anything I can do to assist in getting this to work with UBB.t, I would be more than happy to help.

Silly ricer.. Wings are for airplanes!
Addict
Addict
You can add the nav bar with the following menu option: View->Show/Hide->Site Navigation Bar->Show Always.

It's just a matter of adding tags that look like this:
<link rel="HOME" title="Forum Index" href="https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/ubbthreads?Cat=" />

The above will make the "Top" button link to the forum index, with the text "Forum Index" showing as tool tip.

The only thing is that the link tags should be in the head of the document for it to be xhtml compliant (it still works with it in the body though), so it might be necessary to rearrange some code to get all link information before the send_header() function is used. It might be possible to move the send_header() to the end as well, and it just above the other places where it might be necessary, like before an error page is shown.

But if this only works in Mozilla I'm not sure if it's worth it, although it would be a nice feature.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
can you show me a screen shot of what you are referring to?

Thanks

Addict
Addict
There is a screenshot of the buttons attached to the first post of this thread.

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
It's quite a cool feature. Didnt discover it till now. Unfortunatelly it seems Mozilla by default installs it with "Hide Always" on, unless I turned it off.
If someone wants to see how useful it can be at a board take a look at this one (sorry, it's in Spanish).. It even shows a folder with all the different boards in the forum and so on... really cool.
It would be cool, I just wonder how many people would ever notice it if it is true as I believe that it is installed "off" by default.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63