Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Addict
Addict
Hello people of ThreadsDev. I'm just posting to inform you that my hosting company is offering a discount of 10% off all hosting packages. We also support UBB.threads.

To find out more, you can visit www.vertexhost.com

We offer various plans to suit almost any type of website, whether it is a small personal site or a large online business.

To receive the discount, when ordering use this coupon code: THREADSDEV

If you have any other questions regarding our services don't hesitate to ask or visit the support forums on the site or email our support. Just looking to give a little something back to the ThreadsDev community for all of the great help and hacks

Admins, if this breaks any rules or isn't allowed please feel free to edit or remove the message. From the people I've talked to I have gathered a small promotion was OK, but if not I completely understand

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Discounts are good.

I like discounts.

How long is this offer good for?

Kahuna
Kahuna
I think it is still on. We moved longhaircareforum.com to Vertexhost at the beginning of April and we did get the 10% discount. So far we never had any complains neither from the bandwidth nor from the web server response, and I believe that board is one of the busiest ones on the server with 1000 unique visitors and some thousands of page requests per day.

Just contact them via email. They responded to mine within 10 minutes or so.

Nikos
Addict
Addict
Yes, the discount is always on... as long as I'm a member of threadsdev But please do contact us if you have any questions

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Jeremy,
I've got a client looking for a good server for his threads and some deep integrated stuff I'm going to be doing.

Are you Unix?

Addict
Addict
Yep, RedHat 7.3, latest MySQL, etc

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Do they have a dedicated server package?

Addict
Addict
No advertised dedicated server package, but could work out a custom plan if needed. The dedicated plans won't be advertised until the end of May, but dedicated solutions are always an option for existing clients who need to upgrade, and for special requests.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Jeremy also hosts my site at Vertexhost. Mine however is probably the least server intensive site there is, with about 1-2 visitors a day The customer support is EXCELLENT!

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I'm currently with Communitech.NET, and all hell has been going on so far this year. They were bought out by Interland and are currently closing down their NOC in KC and moving everything to Interland in Atlanta. My site is now as sloooooow as mud. Word from the grapvine is that Interland is going down, so I'm looking for a new host.

I'm currently FTPing down all of my files and will backup and download my MySQL.

I noticed you have webmail access which is a great plus. I have been using Everyone.net and am not happy with having to go through a 3rd party. Would visitors to my website be able to sign-up for and use e-mail accounts? What are the details on that?

I will probably be looking at the Executive package. I currently use 189.81MB and have used 0.35GB of bandwidth this month, so you won't have to worry about me hogging it. In addition to the drumlines.org domain, I also have drumlines.com and drumlines.net pointing to my site. These are defined as "Parked Domains", right? And by addon domains, do these mean I can have 2 other URLs that point to a sub-folder on my site?

That's all I have for now. Now sell me on choosing VertexHost!

Addict
Addict
[]AKD96 said:
I'm currently with Communitech.NET, and all hell has been going on so far this year. They were bought out by Interland and are currently closing down their NOC in KC and moving everything to Interland in Atlanta. My site is now as sloooooow as mud. Word from the grapvine is that Interland is going down, so I'm looking for a new host.

I'm currently FTPing down all of my files and will backup and download my MySQL.

I noticed you have webmail access which is a great plus. I have been using Everyone.net and am not happy with having to go through a 3rd party. Would visitors to my website be able to sign-up for and use e-mail accounts? What are the details on that?

I will probably be looking at the Executive package. I currently use 189.81MB and have used 0.35GB of bandwidth this month, so you won't have to worry about me hogging it. In addition to the drumlines.org domain, I also have drumlines.com and drumlines.net pointing to my site. These are defined as "Parked Domains", right? And by addon domains, do these mean I can have 2 other URLs that point to a sub-folder on my site?

That's all I have for now. Now sell me on choosing VertexHost! [/]

You are correct with everything. Parked domains are used for domains that you own to forward someone to another domain. So if someone went to drumlines.net, they would automaticaly forward to drumlines.com. Addon domains, as you said, be a completely different domain or site if you want, and is created as a subfolder within your main account. This domain uses storage/transfer of your main account, but works well if someone needs a small personal site and can't see paying extra to host it.

The webmail interface is designed for accessing POP email accounts via the web when you are away, or if you choose not to use a program. You have two webmail options to choose from.

Horde - http://www.horde.org/
NeoMail - http://neomail.sourceforge.net/

These are preinstalled for you. But, they aren't designed to be a mail solution where you can have anyone create new accounts and such, each account has to be created via the control panel. If you are looking for a system like that, I would suggest taking a look at http://www.hivemail.com (I think there is even a hack floating around to integrate it with threads) And for a free version of something similar, you may want to check out squirrelmail.

If you have any other questions though just let me know.

Addict
Addict
From JoshPet:
[]Most shared hosting accounts either don't have access to the mysqldump command, or are in safe mode, or time out.[/]

Since you are UBBThreads friendly, I will have access to everything in MySQL that I will need, correct? I'm asking this so that I know I'll be able to transfer my database without a hitch.

Last edited by AKD96; 04/24/2003 10:50 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
More specifically the database backup command from the admin menu? I've worked on alot of sites... and most sites it doesn't work.

Addict
Addict
Thanks for chiming in Josh. Also, I don't have access to cronjobs with my current host. Will I have access to it with you?

Addict
Addict
[]AKD96 said:
From JoshPet:
[]Most shared hosting accounts either don't have access to the mysqldump command, or are in safe mode, or time out.[/]

Since you are UBBThreads friendly, I will have access to everything in MySQL that I will need, correct? I'm asking this so that I know I'll be able to transfer my database without a hitch. [/]

Correct, I don't run in safe mode, so the threads backup/restore should work fine. If not, you have full access to phpMyAdmin, which gives you complete control over your database and you can backup and import sql files as you need to with that.

Addict
Addict
Oops, just saw your last reply.

Yes, in the control panel you have access to setting up cronjobs, and the interface is very easy to use I might add

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I have faith in Jeremy.

I think Nikos uses him....

Addict
Addict
Nikos does, as well as a few others here

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

Kahuna
Kahuna
Another good thing apart from the cron jobs is that you have a daily backup of your whole site which I take advantage of once a week. Not that the contents will change - the database is what matters...

I am working on creating some sort of cron job which will dump the database on a daily basis somewhere and then an automated process on my box at home will FTP and pick the file up (zipped of course).

Nikos
Addict
Addict
Well, I signed up with ya earlier this morning. I went with a lower package though. Sorry.

Let's hope for a long and happy business relationship. :crosses fingers:

Addict
Addict
There is nothing to be sorry about And you should be happy with your decision as everyone else has been thus far. Looking forward to serving yet another threads user

Addict
Addict
Well, I signed up at about 3AM eastern time this morning. When should I get my IP and stuff?

Addict
Addict
The welcome email with your login information and other info was emailed the moment your account was created. It is all automated. But, I see that your primary email is @drumlines.org, which the email is created AFTER the account is, so the email gets dumped on our server since it looks like the domain is already stored locally.

I will forward all emails to your secondary address. Sorry about that. I need to rework the script to send the email just before creating the account to eliminate this problem that has come up a few times.

Addict
Addict
Well I still get all my e-mail at drumlines.org until I change my name server entries, but okay.

Addict
Addict
[]AKD96 said:
Well I still get all my e-mail at drumlines.org until I change my name server entries, but okay. [/]

That is correct.. but at the server level drumlines.org has an entry in the httpd.conf file (among many places) so exim, the mail server first assumes the domain is hosted locally, and just shoots the mail through the internal system. But you should have received your welcome email at your secondary address as well.

If you have any further problems please contact [][email protected][/]

Thanks!

Addict
Addict
That's groovy. The secondary is my work e-mail, so I'll read it tomorrow. Thanks!

Addict
Addict
[shameless plug]

I've moved everything over to Jeremy's server and my site is WAY faster than what it was before. I had some problems with importing my MySQL tables, which was not their fault, and I was helped through it. Great support already! Kudos to vertexhost.com so far!

[/shameless plug]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good to hear!

I have clients ask me to recommend hosts from time to time. Good to know.

Addict
Addict
Here's what some of my members have been saying:

"Yeah Josh, Rock Out with your
cock
Out!"

"WOW! Holy faster site, Batman! "

"wooo! its about time, woohoo...no more sql errors (yet) !"

"Dude, this site is fast as crap man. I love it. Good job, Webby!"

Oops, you don't have the spoiler hack installed here.

Last edited by AKD96; 04/29/2003 9:31 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
"Yeah Josh, Rock Out with your ???? Out!"

Where have I heard that before?

"Dude, this site is fast as crap man."
Now there's a corporate slogan for your webpage Jeremy.

Addict
Addict
[]JoshPet said:
"Dude, this site is fast as crap man."
Now there's a corporate slogan for your webpage Jeremy.
[/]

Hahaha

I should add that to my testimonials, lol

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm adding that other one to mine.

LOL

Addict
Addict
Ah yes. Website visitors say the cutest things.

Here are some more:

"well, everyone has already said it, but I know you wont mind the praise...very fast site...great job Josh."

"I'm jumpin on the bandwagon ppl! Great job man! It's workin great on these crappy comps I got to work with right now. "

User
User
Hey AKD96 -

I used to have my site Motorsports Lounge on Communitech.NET thru a reseller (BGNRacing.com), along with many of his other sites. But, it really did go to crap when they got bought out.

Jeremy - Right now my two threads sites (GL and ML) are on Hosting4Less.com. I have had my probs with them in the past and they arent always available for customer service issues, but it is going good for now. If things start having issues, I will give you a hollar. Right now my threads sites arent trafficked much (about 600 uniques / 10K pageviews daily), but I am working on that, and who knows if my current host can keep up with it.

AKD96 - I might have to sign up at your site sometime. "Stix" has been my nick for about 15 years ... I am a drummer myself ... or should I say was. I do not play anymore, but back in jr and sr high I was in concert band, marching band and pep band. Since then I have had a few kits and just played with friends and such ... nothing pro. Currently I have a Roland V-Custom electric kit, but it is stored.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
"This one time... at band camp...."

LOL Sorry I couldn't resist.

Addict
Addict
JoshPet:

Stix: Feel free to join! We'd love to have ya!

Kahuna
Kahuna
This is for us on vertexhost for April

Hits per Hour 8,321 (Avg) 21,091 (Max)
Hits per Day 199,718 (Avg) 278,567 (Max)
Files per Day 86,993 (Avg) 121,280 (Max)
Pages per Day 3,110 (Avg) 4,188 (Max)
Visits per Day 946 (Avg) 1,125 (Max)
KBytes per Day 453,729 (Avg) 638,735 (Max)

We are very pleased with the service.

Nikos
well I'm looking to move my site so looks like I'll try this host

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63