Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Okay, I am still new at this. What is PHPMYADMIN, and how is it connecteed to SQL server, and how is threads connected to it etc etc. YOu see how confused I am.

I need to know the above, so atleast in future, if anything goes wrong with my forum, I can trouble shoot the problem myself. At the momeny, I am totally confused, as I dont know how the entire process works??

Can someone please enlighten me, pleaseeeeeeee ?

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
I to am new, but the link you are looking for is actually a script. It is a stand alone interface to mysql. I have this script on my home server (came with the package), and I use a Pearl version from Gossamer-Threads on my web site. Both of these scripts will allow you to do dumps query and numerous other functions on your database. You can find these type of scripts at http://hotscripts.com The one you are looking for would be in the PHP section.

You should be able to drop PHPMYADMIN into your web directory and adjust a few config settings and go to work. Your Host might have offered this as a preconfigured option as well.

Good Luck
Dale

Kahuna
Kahuna
Setting up phpMyAdmin is extremely easy

Download the package from www.phpmyadmin.net (the one that suits your server NT/Unix etc.)

Unzip it in one folder on your computer.
Change the config.inc.php file to map to your target installation. This will be the target folder on your site so if you have www.mysite.com and you want to install it on www.mysite.com/phpmyadmin you set that in the first configuration variable.
You change the access to cookies and save the file
Upload the whole contents of the folder to your server (in the previous example in the phpmyadmin folder

Navigate to it and you will see a white screen with a username/password prompt. These are the username and password you have specified in the config.inc.php of your threads installation. Once you put that information in all will be ok and you will be able to see the interface.

Now taking dumps of the database with phpmyadmin will be a bit tricky cause you might come up with timeouts. A method to do that is to get some records at a time. Idealy you need telnet to the server and get the dump to created locally and not transferred to your computer over the net.

I hope this helps

Nikos
Journeyman
Journeyman
With MYSQLMAN from http://www.gossamer-threads.com I can make a sql dump to a file on my server. Then I can FTP the file to my desktop. MYSQLMAN is a pearl script though. However even I was able to get it working on the first shot.

Dale

Veteran
Veteran

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

Now let me get familiar with this, than I am sure I will loads of question to ask

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63