Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I would like to start a discussion about getting board posts listed on search engines and directories

What is the the best way?
Where to put the tittle and keywords, and metatags?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
bump

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Content is king. Most search engines have gotten too smart for old search engine tricks.

The search engines can index and spider all the dynamic PHP pages.... but they can only see what unregistered users can see. So if people must register to see some stuff... search engines can't see that.

I also know search engine ranking is higer the more sites that link to you because the more sites that link to you, the more valuable your content must be.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Search engine placement is sort of my specialty, but I hadn't replied to this post because I didn't know how SE robots reacted to PHP. I do know it's rare to see a message board get a good SE result for a particular subject -- it tends to be a well-written index page leading to the board which gets the attention (put the word "hysterectomy" in Google and you'll see that http://www.hystersisters.com/index gets the good result, even though it's essentially just a doorway to their popular board). Periodically you'll see boards, blogs, or journals getting good placement, but then the SE changes the algorithm and they vanish again. I will say this -- if an index page leading to your message board isn't getting good placement for the search term you want, it will be hard to get your message board to show up in the results independently.

The other comment Josh made is correct -- links to your site are more valuable than the actual content on your site. If you have a site about, oh, "cows", and it's called the "Bovine Chronicles", you're better off getting 3 people linking to you with the word "cows" than having 10 people linking to you using "Bovine Chronicles". That's assuming you want people to find your site if they enter the word "cows" in a search engine.

An excellent resource for this type of stuff is www.WebmasterWorld.com . They're a tough crowd but very knowledgeable.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
he he

Thanks. Coy taught me the trick about people linking to you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you to all for the info

One important thing would be meta tags

Is there a way to ad keywords, or a description ot the headers?

At this time it looks like threads only creates a tittle
How can i ad keywords or a description?

[] <!-- START OF header.tmpl TEMPLATE -->
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/ubbthreads/stylesheets/theblues.css" type="text/css" />

<title>Messageboard.vi: Which are the best bars in Cruz Bay?</title>
</head> [/]

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can add these to your 'headerinsert' inside your admin control panel

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
[]janedoe said:
One important thing would be meta tags [/]

Even that's not particularly true when it comes to Google -- they'll always give more weight to actual text on your page than to any metatags. Second in importance to page text is your title text. The "keywords" and "description" tags figure minimally into Google's results, although they might still help you place in some of the smaller engines. With Google providing search results for both AOL and Yahoo though, they're going to be your primary source of traffic.

You should read this thread: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum5/1311.htm

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, keywords used to be the way to trick everything... but now the engines are much smarter. The old tricks don't seem to work anymore. Content is king.

Veteran
Veteran
just fooling around but this is a way of getting spiders to crawl your forum.

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat...fpart=&vc=1

note this mod is not finished yet

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63