Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
I have a simple PHP login script that checks username and password in a table called 'user' in a database called 'secret'.

The PHP script is checking as such:
$db = mysql_connect("localhost", "myuser", "mypassword");
mysql_select_db("secret")
SELECT id from user WHERE username = '$user' AND password = MD5('$pass');

$user and $pass are simply the value from the login. THe above SQL query is presenting a empty set for #user and $pass, but does return the id.

So my questions is, how do I add a MD5 password to the password field ( $pass ) for the $user ?

I've tried: SELECT MD5('mypasswordhere'); and this does spit out a MD5 encrypted password for 'mypasswordhere' but how do I get it in the password field?

michael

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
[]how do I add a MD5 password to the password field ( $pass ) for the $user ?[/]

I don't understand this question.

Lurker
Lurker
what would be the syntax to compare the MD5 encrypted password in the database against a mysql_fetch_row statemnt query such that is it existed would do x.

michael

Addict
Addict
Do you mean that you want to fetch the MD5-encrypted password from the database, and then compare it to something else, using PHP?

Maybe it would help if you write some pseudo-code, and then I can translate it to valid PHP or SQL.

Kahuna
Kahuna
I think what you need to do is to md5 the password with php and just store it in the field. This way you will have a simple comparison of two values.

So if you have a text box which is of type password (displays little stars) you grab that value and you do:

$encrypted = md5($pass);

and then

SELECT id from user WHERE username = '$user' AND password = '$encrypted';

This should do what you want. Alternatively if I am totally wrong on understanding what you need (no big surprise there ) please let us know what you were thinking with a bit more detail.

Nikos
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849