Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#244800 04/29/2003 11:39 AM
Lurker
Lurker
I have version 5.4 of the old wwwthreads running on our union website. At work we have email access but no web access so sending just the link to the post does not work because when it is clicked on you get "access denied" hence no web - this is useless to us. If I upgrade to the new version of ubbthreads can it send the entire text of the message out like the old 5.4 version of wwwthreads does for us now? Is there a way for subscriptions to do this via hack? We are moving to a new server and starting over from scratch - we have to have the entire message sent is the bottom line.

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
In 6.2.3 offers the ability to send you all replies of you favorite threads.
The mail includes a link to the post aswell as the content of the posting.
Is that what you're looking for?

Journeyman
Journeyman
The subscriptions should do what you want. The sending of the link sounds like it is an email notification of a reply and not the subscriptions?

[:"blue"]Eric Hill[/]
Lurker
Lurker
What I need is to be able to subscribe to a forum and any post "new" or "reply" is sent out with the entire content. The old wwwthreads (perl) 5.4 that I have does a cron job at night and sends out the whole post. I would like to upgrade to the new version if there is a way to do it.

1. Can a forum be subscribed to...
2. Is there a way to send the whole new post in a cron job or any other way?

If you subscribe to any forums in the new Threads any and all posts and replies that are made each day will be mailed to you in full each day or whenever you set the cron job up to do it.

Sponsored Links
Lurker
Lurker
We are talking whole content and not just a link to the post right?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes.

Also this hack sends out the post via email if the user is subscribed to the forum. It sends the link + the actual text of the post.

Hi,
Sweet hack. Is there a hack posted to let you reply to the emailed post to reply to the post? I have seen this working with version 5.4. That is part of what drew uss to ubb threads. I'm wondering if someone has written this for a newer version as well.
Thanks

I was unaware that Threads in any version ever let you reply to a post from a subscription email. I have had Threads since version 5.5 and this was never a feature of Threads. Knowing the checks that have to be done to do something like this I doubt it ever was a feature.

This question has been asked before and there is no hack that allows a reply to a post via email. JoshPet seems to remember a hack for the perl version. Here is a link to the thread.

https://ubbdev.com/forum/showfl...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I'm sure it wasn't a standard thing. It is actually working with UBBThreads 5.4.6(php). The man upstairs, err...to my left really wants this functionality for our site. I've told him it will be down the road and that I will have to gain a deeper understanding of the php and ubb languages before I would be able to do it. I know that it is possible because it is in use with an older version of threads. Just need to figure it out. It's on the wish list for now.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I know of a guy who spent 5 digits of money getting that to work on an old 5.4 perl version. Never seen any code for it though. I bet it's pretty complicated.

Yeah thats the post I pointed him to. I could not imagine anyone spending 5 digits on ONE HACK OR PER SAY ONE FEATURE.

Addict
Addict
Especially for a semi-useful feature like that one.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
He had it quite complex.... if a person emailed a post and they weren't subscribed, it would register them. etc.....

Lurker
Lurker
Thanks for all the replies - I paid for the upgrade and will continue to use threads... This will work for me..

Thanks again...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63