Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Veteran
Veteran
As soon as you go into the Admin section, it gives you the link to do that

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Yes.. it should give you a link to that, but it didn't

So I just went through the admin script and looked for the code where the link was supposed to be displayed, copied and pasted it, and then it worked.

But by default, it was not displaying the link

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The link should have been at the bottom of the main admin page. Thanks for the language files Rutto, I'll check them out.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Thanks! It's working now!

[]Thanks for the language files Rutto, I'll check them out.[/]

You're welcome let me know if you like it !

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
OK, I've installed this on a site now. Unfortunately many language strings weren't in the language file so I had to do a lot of editing. Unfortunately I didn't remember about Ruttos changed version, so I did my own. I'll attach my version anyway, since it includes a Swedish translation of the language file as well. Also, I changed the date() call to use threads internal convert_time() so that the date format will be the same as for the forums.

I managed to get this to work with threads 6.1, I only needed to remove the calls to get_input() and copy the table_wrapper() function from a newer version of ubbt.inc.php.

A few notes:
  • The string "(Member)" which is attached to usernames in the lists would look better if it was outside the link text. No biggie though.
  • When running links.php the first time before the tables are setup, there are a lot of errors. It would much cleaner if the script would check if the tables are created and if not, just show the link to create them.
  • Add title="" description to all Edit/Delete images so that tooltips work for Mozilla/Netscape.
  • When the table has been created, remove the bolded text at the top of the admin page to avoid confusion.
  • An approval mail is sent when an admin adds a link as well, even though they are auto approved.
  • The approval mail should include all information about the link as well as a link to the approval page.
  • When a link is approved (or not approved) a mail should go out to the submitter with a notification.
  • The category titles should be read from the database and not passed in the url like it is now.
  • Using special characters in category titles results in them and all extra text getting lost when showing a category. That is, things like + and &.

Some feature suggestions
  • Report this link, to notify the admin of broken links and such.
  • Multi-level categories. Instead of just one level, let categories be able to be children to any category.
  • Randomize link - for some fun browsing
  • Searching - Even better if this could be integrated in threads search function, but that would require modding, which might not be so good.
  • With many links in a category, it would be good to show only x links at a time.
  • Move all html into templates for each page, just like in threads. Code that is the same on all pages should be in their own templates as well. Changing the way a link is shown in several different places isn't fun.
  • XHTML-compliancy. It's not there yet.
  • Cool links, let admins set a flag on some links to show them as cool. These should always be listed at the top in the list, as well as having a little cool icon next to it.
  • Ability to have categories for each forum automatically. I decided to have the same categories as forums, so it would be great if that could be done without having to add them by hand.
  • When clicking on Submit link, the category you are in should be pre-selected.
  • A validity check script that can be run from time to time, which checks that the links are still valid. If it isn't, a counter should be increased, when it hasn't worked for x times, the link should be unvalidated again and the admin notified. If the link is again reachable, the counter should be reset.

BTW, did I say that the script works great and is very useful?
Attachments
87960-TLD-1_5OJ.zip (0 Bytes, 53 downloads)

Last edited by Gardener; 07/03/2003 5:24 PM.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Excellent notes and suggestions. Progress has slowed almost to a complete halt. As usual, other things more important keep coming up, but I do get a little done at a time. I may have to do a post like Scream did regarding 6.4 that "Made ya look".

wilstephens #247787 07/12/2003 7:52 AM
Power User
Power User
how disabled "Admin receives email when link is submitted " ?

User
User
This may be a problem with the server I'm using (I'm trying this out on a test server with an iffy mySQL installation), but every time I try to add a category from the admin screen I get a message saying, "You did not enter anything. Try again." Is this a permissions problem or something else? Thanks.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I think it is permissions. I had that problem too, but Nikos fixed it. I can't remember what it was exactly though.

Sponsored Links
User
User
We've checked the r/w/x permissions on all the relevant files, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. My boyfriend thinks it has something to do with the version of PHP we are running (it's a recent upgrade and I think it's the most current version, but I'm not sure).

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I added some/most of rutto's xhtml changes to gardener's files... we're using them here
Attachments
88728-TLD-1_5Ok.zip (0 Bytes, 301 downloads)

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Check this out. I had someone submit a link for a forum at Univision.com's forums (I have no problem with that). When the arrow of the mouse pad is hovering over the link, the redirect URL appears in the grey box at the bottom of the page. Everything looks correct. You can check it out here:

http://www.laondalatina.com//foros/...title=Entretenimiento&title=M%FAsica

Here is the URL of where the link should go to:

http://infopop.univision.com/2/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=864094322&f=33259689241

The problem is that when I click on the link in the links direcoty, it cuts off the URL and I get an error from Univision.com (obviously, if the URL isn't complete). But I don't know why the link is incomplete if the redirect that shows up in the grey box near the bottom of the navigator window (the one that says "Done" when a page finishes loading) has the complete URL.

On top of that, there seems to be no way to edit the link (because at first I though the author didn't inlcude the whole URL). Either way, the whole URL was indeed included, so I don't understand why the redirect isn't working.

Any help would be appreciated

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I checked it on my development site and the problem occurs there as well.

As far as editing the link, 1.5 provides that feature. Make sure logged in as admin and go to the page of the link you want to edit. You'll see a red and green dot next to the link. Click the red one to delete it, click the green one to edit the link.

Meanwhile I'll look into this.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Maybe it was thrown off by the "&" symbol, because it stops the redirect right befote the "&" symbol in the URL. BTW, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know what those dots were for :lol:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I've discovered the problem. Let me try a few things and see if I can correct it. I'll get back ASAP. Good job catching this bug.

luan #247796 07/18/2003 3:43 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
donJulio found a bug in regards to a particular link that would not redirect.

The problem resides in the url link itself http://infopop.univision.com/2/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=864094322&f=33259689241 . Using a GET request, PHP is stripping the url where it thinks it's supposed to assign a variable i.e. the letter s is now $s and f is $f. Since the entire url needs to remain intact and treated as a string I came up with the following solution. This should also solve any other urls with this same type of problem. If anyone can come up with a more efficient way let me know.

Open links_redirect.php and find:

$update_hits = $dbh -> do_query($query);

Add the following just below it:

$query = "
SELECT *
FROM {$config['tbprefix']}links_links
WHERE lid = '$lid'
";
$geturl = $dbh -> do_query($query);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($geturl);

header ("Location: $row[url]");

Find and delete the following:

header ("Location: $url");

That's it.

#247797 07/19/2003 12:05 AM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Thank you for the fix I've never found a bug before. I'd like to thank all the little people out there who helped make this moment for me possible where, for the second time, I get to contribute something useful to this community (after my Blue Cheese stylesheet). Thanks you everyone :sniffle:

luan #247798 07/19/2003 2:55 AM
Addict
Addict

eslmix #247799 07/21/2003 11:56 AM
Coder
Coder
Just a side note... had to fix the valid_email function in the links_submit_link.php file... it was saying that [][email protected][/] (using two or more periods in the domain section of the address....)

here's the updated code.

function valid_email($email)
{
// lets see if the email is possibly valid
// if (ereg("^[a-zA-Z0-9_]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$", $email))
if (ereg("^[a-z\'0-9]+([._-][a-z\'0-9]+)*@([a-z0-9]+([._-][a-z0-9]+))+$", $email))
return true;
else
return false;
}

--------------------
Matt Reinfeldt
http://www.mattreinfeldt.com/
mazmanr #247800 07/22/2003 12:18 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hey Matt! Good to see you

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Coder
Coder
Glad to be back, bro! It's been a busy while, if you know what I mean!

--------------------
Matt Reinfeldt
http://www.mattreinfeldt.com/
mazmanr #247802 08/14/2003 10:25 AM
Addict
Addict
Bump? Any updates on TLD?

eslmix #247803 08/14/2003 11:38 PM
Addict
Addict
I started with the version posted by Allen.

I've made a number of changes in getting this suitable for use on my site. I'll see if I can document them and post the changes.

joeuser #247804 08/15/2003 8:57 AM
Addict
Addict

eslmix #247805 08/16/2003 10:27 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sorry guys. I've been so busy with home honeydos when I logged in I noticed over a thousand new posts! I don't think I'll be reading all of them. But, I have been working on TLD, just very slowly. I want to take into consideration all of the suggestions, changes, enhancements, etc., that everyone has made. I hope everyone understands. Anyway, I was just checking. Later.

Mark

#247807 08/30/2003 10:29 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thanks for the update mark

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
this one has prolly already been caught... but in the current version attached to this post the links_admin.php had a problem at the very end:

reads:
print "</td></tr>";
print $tbclose;
print <p align="center"><font size="-2"><b>TLD by <a href="http://www.fish-tails.net">Fishtails</a></b></font></p>";

had to add in the " on the third print line to get anything out of it:

print "</td></tr>";
print $tbclose;
print "<p align="center"><font size="-2"><b>TLD by <a href="http://www.fish-tails.net">Fishtails</a></b></font></p>";

I'm no programmer... so if it was supposed to be like that for some reason then flame me down however, i couldn't make the fecker work otherwise!

jbutler #247809 11/08/2003 12:06 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I'd sure love to see a google style directory, if you read this--regarding the way the subcats are displayed.

Lurker
Lurker
i got it installed but when i try to add the first catagory the form come back and says i didnt enter anything (as if i hit submit without filling out the textbox)

any ideas?

User
User
That is the same problem we had. We isolated it as a "problem" with newer versions of PHP -- the links directory will not work because of higher security in newer versions of PHP. We found a workaround but it was a giant pain in the neck and we never bothered installing it on our public server. I will see if we have a copy and if so I will post it.

Journeyman
Journeyman
[]shortbus said:
It wasn't showing them as being submitted. Don't know what the problem was but Nikos fixed it I guess. [/]

Who or what is "Nikos"??? Im having the same problems as you and i would like to get this fixed... This mod looks awesome, but it wont work on my machine...

I had the problem of Categories not getting added. I added the link Josh said to under the "get" line... And that fixed the category posting problem, but now its not allowing website submittals.

Its like its not even reading in any of the info on the submit form at all???

Im double checking the Globals though just in case the server config is wrong.
Deejay

Last edited by Deejay; 11/12/2003 10:06 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Some fixes:

In links_submit_link.php
Code
<br />Find this:<br /><br />        if (ereg("^[a-zA-Z0-9_]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$", $email))<br /><br />Should be:<br /><br />        if (ereg("^[+_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,4})$", $email))<br /><br /><br />Otherwise some emails won't appear valid - this is the same pattern that adduser.php uses.  :)<br /><br /><br /><br />Find this:<br /><br />                 $description = addslashes($description);<br /><br /><br />Change to this:<br /><br />                 $description = addslashes($description);<br />                 $name = addslashes($name);<br /><br /><br />Otherwise a Username of L'Accrocchista can't submit links. :)<br /><br />

Would be nice if the catagory sorting was in order in the drop down link for submission and approval. The sub catagories are very difficult to use if you have a lot of them. Oh and the top catagory should be in bold so it is easier to see when your viewing subcatagories.

coffee and code
coffee and code
DOWNLOAD: RECENT VERSION IS ATTACHED TO ONE OF MY MORE RECENT POSTS (BELOW)

I've done some minor visual hacking and came up with this...
http://www.celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/links.php

Your program is awesome and is getting some very exiting attention from all my members - Excellent work!!!

BTW, I've also hacked the program to have all the links_...php files in correct ubbthreads locations - links/languages in languages, links/templates in templates...etc. This setup makes updating on several UBBT sites a lot easier since there are less directories to search through for modified files.

I've also applied all of the listed html and php patches from this thread as of 12/5/2003

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Looks very nice I will give it a go... my subcatagories need this update badly.

The subcatagories worked great but having trouble with some of the other link from the admin section.. blank on add links.

I also had trouble with the images but tracked down where you had them.. two different locations according to setup. Easy fix just added new.

Then on trying to click on a link from database the dreaded 500 enteral error shows up.

Looks like your directory tree is way different than what I was using.

could you show some paths so I can get the files in the right spots.

Hi,

"We isolated it as a "problem" with newer versions of PHP -- the links directory will not work because of higher security in newer versions of PHP."

Which version was this?

"We found a workaround but it was a giant pain in the neck and we never bothered installing it on our public server. I will see if we have a copy and if so I will post it."

Would be interested in this, as this sounds like a very good mod, but the 'problem' mentioned above has me a little worried. I get a bit on edge when hearing about security issues.

Sanuk!

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63