Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I figure this time I won't upgrade files one-at-a-time via ftp. Since I have Linux, I'll download the .zip version of 6.3, unzip it on my pc and first thing throw out the stylesheets (unless they have any new ones) directory, the images directory, and the includes directory. Then I'll tar up those directories on my 6.2.3 site and untar them in my threads directory on my pc. Then I can throw out every altertable I don't need but one, the install.php, and the createtable.php files. Of course I'll make necessary edits in the main.inc.php and config.inc.php files ahead of time. Lastly I'll install mods on the pc (w/ no way of checking them, but not too difficult to do) using a text editor.

When I'm done, I'll tar it up and I'll have my own complete, custom version of threads which I can also use as a back-up. Then I just upload it to my site, temporarily rename the current forums directory (instead of just deleting it) and finally untar my new version and run the upgrade and altertable script. Seems more efficient then what I had been doing before by doing mods one-at-a-time and using putty to make edits on the files by SSH instead of just doing it on the pc.

How do you guys do upgrades?

Sponsored Links
I run a test site and upload the new version. I then rework everything with the hacks etc. Usually Beyond Compare the files and add what I need. My site is heavily hacked so I take my time. Usually I hack the mods one a time if there are updated version if not I compare the files and add the hacks that are not updated. The key is documenting the beginning and end of hacked codes so you know what is what. When all is running as expected and all things complete I zip it up and place it where it needs to be. Really quite simple.

Addict
Addict
That's basically what I do.

I label all my hacks within the code, so when I'm using Beyond Compare, I can distinguish between my changes and Rick's changes. I've been using the following:

// DAVE MOD BEGIN
// 2003-05-26 Dave Lerner
// ... description of change ...
... changed code ...
// DAVE MOD END

For changes within HTML in templates, I use <!-- --> instead of // for the comments.

I also have a text file that describes each of my hacks, and lists the files that were changed or modified for that hack, and any database changes.

(That notation is bulky, so I've been experimenting with a more concise method: I'm marking changes with a single string #*#HACK#, where HACK is a unique keyword, e.g., #*#IIP#. I figured that combination of characters would be unlikely to occur anywhere else, so it's unambiguous, and easy to search for.)

I keep copies of all the .tar.gz releases, and keep an extracted copy for the version I have installed, e.g., 6-3-b4.

I put all my hacked files in a directory on my PC in the same structure as the distribution .tar.gz, e.g. 20030520_6-3-b4-hacks.

To upgrade, e.g. from 6.3b4 to 6.3b5:
1) Extract the distribution .tar.gz into a new directory 6-3-b5.
2) Use Beyond Compare to compare the directories 6-3-b4 and 6-3-b5 to create a directory containing the changed files: 6-3-b5-upg.
3) Make a copy of my hacks directory: 20030526_6-3-b5-hacks.
4) Ensure that 20030526_6-3-b5-hacks is current.
5) Use Beyond Compare on 6-3-b5 and 20030526_6-3-b5-hacks to merge Rick's changes into my hacks.
6) Use Beyond Compare to compare 20030520_6-3-b4-hacks with 20030526_6-3-b5-hacks and create a directory of changed hacked files: 6-3-b5-hacks-upg.
7) Close the board and do a backup of the files and the database.
8) Upload 6-3-b5-upg.
9) Upload 6-3-b5-hacks-upg.

Isn't that simple?

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I guess I should go out and get Beyond Compare. I hear you guys speak highly of it, but I've never used it, nor had I heard of it before registering here

You will be highly amazed at the time it can save you when comparing files for changes and adding hacks when upgrading.

I just saw your signature

Visiten mi sitio LaONDaLatina
I like reef aquariums, but they are so far over my head...

too funny

Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
From what I hear, at $50 per gallon average, I should add "too poor"

Well I have over 300 gallons worth of reef space.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I'm a college student and I work part-time at Wal-Mart Though I should this December finally graduate after a 6 1/2 years. Yes, 13 semesters God only knows what the heck I'm going to do after I graduate, but that's when I'll have real time to dedicate to learning about reef aquariums.

Just go diving in the Keys or the Great Barrier Reef and you'll be hooked.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63