Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
It'r pretty much decision time for me and these are the two ISPs I've narrowed down my search. I know this probably sounds like the most vague question possible, but which is the better of the two?

With ev1 I'm looking at a P4 2.0GHz 1GB Ram deal with Plesk for $139/mth. Should I choose Control Panel I need to fork out another $10/month, and starting in January a further $10 which brings the total to $159.

With ServerMatrix, on the other hand, $159 gets me everything that Ev1 offers... PLUS 1000GB transfer (as opposed to 700GB - not that I need it anyway), and MORE IMPORTANTLY (or so I think)... a P4 2.4GHz (as opposed to ev1's 2.0). So for the same price I would be getting a bit more processing power, though how much that would speed things up is beyond me.

Has anyone (Josh?) dealt with both companies? A lot of people on hosting discussion forums have stated that they prefer SM, but then if I don't know the person then that someone might have an agenda. Is there a difference in how they're conected to the internet and how that could affect international transfer speeds?

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
just an FYI the 2.0's that evr1 just added are P4 2.4's.. I know I was surprised also.. expecting a 2.0 and all...

How about http://www.managed.com/pentium.htm , are they any good? $105 per month (as opposed to $159) for pretty much the same stuff, or is there a catch somewhere?

Old Hand
Old Hand
read this article and judge for yourself...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=206765

always ask others and webhostingtalk.com is a good place to ask

I would offer an opinion, but all I really know about webhosting companies is that FeaturePrice sucks, and TekAdvantage is pretty decent. I hadn't even heard of the hosting companies you have mentioned before you posted asking about them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone!

I think I'll go with Server Matrix because apparently they offer better support than Ev1, especially to newbies who have never had their own server before.

Also, when I ping Ev1 I get times of around 212ms while SM returns times of 156ms. I really don't know if this actually means anything, but overall I'm tilting towards SM lately...

Last edited by Conrad; 11/24/2003 1:51 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I have servers at EV1, and are very pleased with their services and support - have not yet had a single reason to fault them. Also they have a $1 set-up at the moment.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Old Hand
Old Hand
I have one reason to fault them onder: I put in a trouble ticket cause I waas dropping packets and in their overzelousness they checked on, replaced my server, and took the boards down during the day.. I was expecting the half assed slow response.. btw if your NOT looking for Dedicated Server I would highly recommend Vertexonhost.. and *cough* Jeremy says he will have Dedicated soon also

I need 175GB of bandwidth monthly. I'd rather take a hosting package instead of a dedicated server, but with so much bandwidth at stake I think it'll be difficult to do so.

Right now I'm wondering whether I should pay the $99 start up fee at ServerMatrix and then pay $139/mth instead of $159. What happens when you want to upgrade? Do you need to cancel one contract and start another (new startup fee)? Or is there a more smooth way to jump up to a better server?

Old Hand
Old Hand
They are usually smooth.. its usually done by them after you say you want to..

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
[]scroungr said:
btw if your NOT looking for Dedicated Server I would highly recommend Vertexonhost.. and *cough* Jeremy says he will have Dedicated soon also [/]

Thanks

Getting really close. The new order scripts for dedicated are ready, just been to be configured, tested, etc... If everything goes as planned I hope to have them rolling out by new years, and should be very competitive in price

Due to the fact that Ev1 is sold out on P4's with CPanel and 1GB RAM, I've decided to give SM a try. The only thing I'll probably miss (or so I think) is the live chat help that Ev1 offers. Everything else seems to be the same, or better.

Too bad I can't get a SCSI drive on the P4 2.4...

Coder
Coder
I not tring to get into your buisness but why the need for 175 gig of bandwith?

UBB Classic board. Hopefully the bandwidth required will be slightly lower after we convert to Threads, but at the moment we're using just over 150GB per month. And since it's so hard to find a proper host able to accomodate such traffic, the only viable option left is a decidated server.

Coder
Coder
you have a really busy board I am running everything I have on a personal server but Im still doing testing. I dont want to offer some space untill I can make sure everything is working. Downtime is a worry for me. If I start to host sites and stuff I want to make sure It can hande it.

Well, my first day is just a nightmare. BIGGEST mistake ever: going with CPanel software.

The stuff looks like it was concocted in some cave in Afghanistan. Comapred to Plesk this software looks prehistoric. Oh well, it's all my fault for not doing the proper research before buying a server from SM...

Jeez, worst garbage I've ever come across. Gonna move to Ev1 simply because of Plesk. Can't stand this Cripoff pathetic excuse for wasting my time...

Veteran
Veteran
I'm a Plesk fan - so I am biased - have a few Plesk servers now - so if you need any help, just ask....

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for the kind offer. Can Plesk do all the things that CPanel can with regards to server setup and maintenance?

I assume you're with ev1servers, or have you found a better place? At SM sales tax is only added to Texas residents. Do you know by any chance if ev1 charges everyone with sales tax?

Old Hand
Old Hand
everyone at evry1 gets charged by sales tax..

After upgrading my classic board to the new server I can't even access the CP - an internal server error pops up each time I try to access http://69.93.6.46/cgi-bin/cp.cgi .

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [][email protected][/] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.iqbet.com Port 80

Any idea on how to solve the issue?

Old Hand
Old Hand
conrad because you don't acess it that way.. do the following

http://69.93.6.46/cpanel or http://69.93.6.46:2082/

it will prompt for username and password..

It's actually the UBBC CP that I'm trying to get into. I need to move my Classic board before upgrading to Threads.

And when I log into the CPanel account to check the error log I see this: [2003-12-05 03:34:10]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/forum/public_html/cgi-bin/cp.cgi)

Of course it's writable by others because it's supposed to be chmod to 777 according to Infopop's instructions. Why is this an error then and (supposedly) the cause of the script not running?

Veteran
Veteran
No it's not. cp.cgi is supposed to be 755. Only the vars_ files are 777. You need to review the instructions again. Your machine is correctly NOT letting you execute a world writable file.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Also make sure that the cgi-bin directory is not 777. Make it 755 in that case.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Ok, I just did a fresh install according to the instructions and once again I'm having major trouble:

I tried to run ubb6_test.cgi ... but all I get is a Internal Server Error (in CPanel the following text is noted in the error log: "[2003-12-07 18:45:59]: error: file has no execute permission: (/home2/meczbiz/public_html/cgi-bin/ubb6_test.cgi)")

When I try and access the CP I get the following errors:

Software error:
Invalid range "a-Z" in transliteration operator at Modules/vars.pm line 17.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sun Dec 7 18:51:01 2003] vars.pm: Invalid range "a-Z" in transliteration operator at Modules/vars.pm line 17. Compilation failed in require at cp.cgi line 52.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sun Dec 7 18:51:01 2003] vars.pm: [Sun Dec 7 18:51:01 2003] vars.pm: Invalid range "a-Z" in transliteration operator at Modules/vars.pm line 17. [Sun Dec 7 18:51:01 2003] vars.pm: Compilation failed in require at cp.cgi line 52. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at cp.cgi line 52.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

-----

Anyone know what's going on?

This is what vars.pl looks like in the 6.2.1 install that I just got (not sure if this solves anything though...):

%vars_pm = (
'welcome_pm' => '',
'ubb_code' => 'on',
'feature' => 'on',
'welcome_pm_message' => '',
'html' => 'off'
);

1;

Hmm, and this is what I have in my current board that I'm trying to move:

%vars_pm = (
feature => "on",
welcome_pm_message => q~~,
ubb_code => "on",
html => "off",
welcome_pm => ""
);
1;

Seems like there are some bugs in the 6.2.1 software supplied to us by support, as we did an install of 6.6 and encountered no problems whatsoever.

Fellas, is there any reason why I shouldn't just close the board, ftp the entire thing to the hard drive, and then ftp it all up to my new server?

Old Hand
Old Hand
paths may be different?

Just seems like it would be easier to do that after just uploading the entire contents of the board.

Actually the problem seems to be with the Modules/vars.pm file .

Wierd stuff, guys. All I had to do was use the Modules/vars.pm file from the current trial version of 6.6 to resolve the problem. Only one letter in the entire file is different (actually it's just a small "z" instead of a large "Z") and this was all it took to make things right.

Veteran
Veteran
you can remove vars.pm completely. If your version of perl has a vars.pm at all it will use it.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
OK, many thanks.

One last question, and embarrassingly it's about ftp itself: how can I upload more than 2000 files to a folder? Everytime I try it 'truncates' my files to around 2000. I've even tried using different ftp programs...

Um, I'm not sure what is going on. I use ws ftp pro and have never had a problem. The only other ftp prog I have used is cuteftp and I found that to be pretty shoddy.

Addict
Addict
could be a server/os/software limitation. I've never dealt with that many files in one directory so I can't say for sure, but I would think something like that wouldn't have anything to do with the FTP client.

Yes, must be a server issue as all the ftp clients I've tried had done the same each time. This definitely means I'm in trouble as I have around 8000 files in the members folder, so I can't even begin to think what kind of effect this would have on a simple P4 server with an IDE drive... I take it my current host has me on a high-end model.

Have you tried uploading them in batches of 1500 files. Maybe it is just a limit on the # of files at a time? Some one else on this board had mentioned having a limit for the total number of files. If uploading them in smaller batches doesn't work, then I would contact the host and ask them what is up.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63