Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
January 2004: myPaymentPal ThreadsDev Member Spotlight Contest - First Place Winner: www.reeftalk.com

Interviewed by: JoshPet
Interviewee: Omegatron

ThreadsDev opened our second Member Spotlight Contest to it's users to decide whom the winners are.

I am pleased to announce that someone who has been so helpful here, to so many users has won the contest.

Omegatron is the proud owner and founder of www.Reeftalk.com

[:"blue"]ThreadsDev:[/]
Chuck, first off Congratulations on your win. Many may remember that you came in second place last year. Sadly, that only got you an interview and not a prize. Looks like you've improved and added to your site since then to be able to run away with it this time. Once again, congratulations!

[:"red"]Omegatron:[/]
Thanks. I was a bit surprised myself. What even suprised me more was out of all the sites the percentage I took. I did not think my little hobby dedicated site had any chance of winning this thing then again I was surprised when I took second place in the first one.

Well, you don't give yourself enough credit, you've become the master of integration around here lately.
Tell us about your "little hobby site" and what it's about.

ReefTalk.com was started in March 2001. A friend and I decided to lauch a site dedicated to Reef Aquarium Keeping for other Reef Aquarium keepers like ourselves to benefit from the collective information and experiences we have to further the successful care and culture of Marine Organsims. While the majority of our users are reef aquarium keepers whom keep living corals whom normally live in the worlds corals reefs we do have some fish only members. I have been in the hobby for quite a few years and xperienced many successful breedings of many different organisms. Through the collective efforts of many dedicated individuals the site has grown into a small but extensive wealth of information so that many new hobbyists can learn about the successful care and keeping of these delicate marine organsisms.

What made you and your friend decide to start it?

We decided to start the site basically because the complete lack of knowledgable resources and misinformation available on the internet to reef aquarium hobbyists. My goal was to create a credible and knowledgable site. I think the site has come along way and I have much broader plans.

Wow, yes you do have quite a resource there today. And it's not just full of valuable reef information, but it's also mighty pretty. Did you create your stylesheet / table wrapper graphics yourself? If so, what was the inspiration?

Yes almost half of the stylesheets used on my site are my creation. Dalantech was my inspiration on Table Wrappers. About the time he released his wrappers I started using his ideas as a basis and created my own wrappers and have created custom wrappers for most all stylesheets on my site. I have coded alot of my own things but I get all my inspiration from the wonderful people on this site and it is truly was an honor when I was asked to join the staff here.

Well we all have been very fortunate to have your knowledge and willingness to help on the staff here. You've made us look good here. Especially with all the work you've done on the PhotoPost/Reviewpost integration. You've really gotten heavy into that and I'd consider you the PhotoPost/ReviewPost integration expert on our site. (Michael the author excluded of course ) How do you think photopost/reviewpost has added to your site?

As you can tell by looking at my site I am very into Site Integration not just those two products but the whole site in general. Photopost/Reviewpost has given me a world of inspiration and added alot to my site. My user's benefit from being able to post their pictures from the fruits of their hard labor and love of this hobby we enjoy and Reviewpost has given me the ability to create an extensive Online Marine Identification Database as well as Review Etailers whom alot of us buy stuff from so that other user's can benefit from the reviews and be able to deal with reputable business owners. I truly love their products and have the utmost respect for Michael Pierce (Photopost) whom has taken their product to a whole different level. I have created many mods for their products out of necessity as well as documenting other hacks for Michael. My work with their products really paid off lately when after disecting a hack of Michael's which started off as a few extra rating fields and mostly a bunch of hard coded functions I was able to came up with the idea of adding multiple templates to their product and make it a configurable item with no hard coding. The Result was the release of Reviewpost 2.5 which basically was some bug fixes and this new template feature. Something like that says alot for this site as we all collectively as a team work together to benefit each other and get inspiration from one another. That there leads me right into why I help so many people out here. I have recieved so much from this site and its members that I try to give back what I can. I can never repay what I have recieved from this site but I try.

Wow, congratulations on that. I'll be looking forward to checking that out in 2.5.
So the Photopost/Reviewpost integration is obvious when you first visit your site. What other modifications do you feel have added the most user appeal to your site?

I think things like inline images,integrated chat,IIP, Links TLD as well as many other hacks here have added to the site. I was pleased with 6.4 and the added Calendar and Avatar feature as well as Board Image features which allowed some of the hacks I use to have to add no longer had to be. Shows me that Infopop is listening to its customers adding functionality that its customers want.

Yes, I too think Infopop has been listening, especially when you read that awesome 6.5 changelog.
I've followed your site for a while, and as I said before, you were our runner up last year. Your site has come a long way, as have your coding skills. What has been the best part of your journey with UBB.Threads?

Thanks! That was nice of you to say. As I covered above I think the best part of my journey with ubbthreads is the community here. I am thankful for the help I recieve here which gives me the ability to learn things I never thought I would learn. Through learning it has put me in the position to help others which I enjoy alot. It gives me a sense of self worth and respect.

Well you've certainly earned it, and I know alot of our new ThreadsDevers will agree with me.
How do you plan to use your myPaymentPal software?

I plan to expand my site alot further and add alot of pay for content to help recoup some of the costs of running the site. I plan having pay courses taught by accredited individuals known in our hobby to teach some of the more difficult knowledge hobbyists seek. myPaymentPal will offer alot of flexibility to my site where donations where the only source of income besides Banner Ads.

Great! Hope you enjoy it. Given this is your moment, do you have anything else you'd like to say?

Thanks to the Community here for awarding me this Great Honor!!

Thank you! And once again, congratulations!

Omegatron's site can be found at www.reeftalk.com

Thanks to JustDave and Myself for donating the prize for this contest. myPaymentPal will allow you to accept subscription payments and handle member access with UBB.Threads totally automatically. For more information about myPaymentPal visit www.ThreadsAddons.com

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63