Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#274499 05/30/2004 1:33 PM
Lurker
Lurker
For security reasons I needed to change the db password. Stupidly, I guess, I used "edit config" from admin and typed a new password into the db password field and saved the file. Now I have multiple MySQL errors and I cannot log into the forums. (No surprise, it's not able to access the db now.) When I look at config.inc.php, the new password is listed under "//Password for the database..." but it's obviously not working. If I edit that file changing the password to the original is still doesn't work. Is this a conflict between the password as sent by threads and the password set for the database on the webhost?

How do I fix the problem and what is the correct method for changing the database password?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Edit config in Threads does not change your DB password, it only changes the password it uses to try and connect to the DB. To change your DB password you will have to do through your website control panel or whatever method you use to setup new DBs.

Addict
Addict
Can you post the mysql errors you're getting?

Lurker
Lurker
It starts with these two:

[]Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'ironcircle@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/virtual/site280/fst/var/www/html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 35

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/virtual/site280/fst/var/www/html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 45[/]

All the others, I'm sure, are a result but they are

[]Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/virtual/site280/fst/var/www/html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 104

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/virtual/site280/fst/var/www/html/forums/mysql.inc.php on line 130[/]

etc. etc. but it's all a result of not being able to access the database. Each time it tries to query the db or do a fetch_array, it generates an error.

I am going to try the suggestion Astaran made by changing the db password at the webhost and then editing config.inc.php to reflect that password. Hopefully that will fix it although I don't know why editing config.inc.php so that it contained the original password didn't work when I tried it initially.

Veteran
Veteran
Looks like you have a different password stored on your server, to that contained within $config['dbpass'] under config.inc.php

I would suggest resetting both, making sure that they are same - don't forget that the password will be case sensitive under linux.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
and use the "flush privileges" command on your mysql server after you changed your password.

Lurker
Lurker
Thank you guys. It's working again.

I'll do the flush, Astaran.

I hate being a newb but then we were all newbs at some time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Zarzal
Zarzal
Berlin, Germany
Forum Statistics
Forums63