Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I found this great & fast chatsoftware for my site which I can fully customize. It's loads in less than a second and it's not using javascript.

To use the chatroom, all you have to do now, is enter your username and hit the 'chat' button.

I want to skip this step by passing the username in the 'name-field' and the user automatically enters the chatroom. But question is: Can this be done and if so, HOW ?

Thanks,

Pasqual

Chatroom: http://62.166.244.243:8080/chatroom.htm

Sponsored Links
Absolutely, I have my forums to pass the username all over my site, from private access pages, to Teamspeak logins, etc.

You will want to use a script like the Generic Threads Page that will grab all pertinent information, and then assign something like this at the top after requiring the library, etc:

$name = $user['U_Username'];

That is very generic, you can change $name to anything you desire.

After getting that up and working, wherever you have the "CLICK TO CHAT" link, simply call that variable, for example: http://www.domain.com/chat.php?$chatname=$name

That would be the URL that passes them to the chat page.

THEN...

On the chat page, you would want to "capture" that $chatname variable you passed over in the URL, and assign it to the login box.

OR

You can bypass going to the chat login page and simply pass the URL to log into your chat directly from your threads pages by passing the $name variable as the properly named 'chatname' variable.

Post with some more details on what chat if you need help.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Try doing it as it is done in the Raidersoft or DigiChat modifications because it is more secure. If you use passed parameters http://www.somesite.com/chat.php?u=someguy etc. without checking what has been passed can allow people that do not belong in your forum to use your resources.

The chat.php should contain the .threads authenticate function to see who is the member. If the user is not authenticated then call the $html->not_right() method with the relevant message. If the user is authenticated you pick up the username and pass it on the relevant field of the chat software.

Nikos
I believe that was how we finally implemented this. The problem was that the actual chat system was hosted elsewhere, and only the login "box" where you enter your name and hit "JOIN" was local to the database.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63