Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What is it? It's a template and hack instructions to add Google Adsense advertising to your web site. This hack also allows you to control what forums ads are displayed in from the control panel. Hope you like it

Edit 27 Oct 04: I changed the installation instructions a little. Instead of editing the language files for the showflat and showthreaded pages it makes more sense to ad the language string for the sponsor text to the generic.php file. I added Google Adsense ads to the transition pages on my site and realized that I could just put the sponsor text string in the generic.php language file, so that no matter where I put the Adsense script the language string would automatically be there. I also updated the instructions so you can put Adsense adds on your transition pages

Edited 15 Dec 05: Fixed a typo in the instructions for the showflat and showthreaded template.
Attachments
121655-AddSense.zip (0 Bytes, 139 downloads)

Last edited by Dalantech; 12/15/2004 3:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
You are a GOD!.

I swear I was just going to post about what to do. Since my 6.5 upgradeage, It just does not display... Im going to add on the IIP page again tonight. Thats where I had it displayed. I was up to something like 65.00 already

I was hoping that I wasn't the only one in need of that hack -thanks for the props!

I just uploaded a new version -check to see if you have a "Facelift" directory under /templates/default -if you do then you have the latest version.

Last edited by Dalantech; 10/19/2004 1:35 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Nice one again, thanks for all the hard work

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Anytime

I have one more mod to release, but I'm taking a little break. I'll probably have it online this weekend

Sponsored Links
Updated to add support for the transition pages that pop up after a post

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Your site is looking great
FYI your signature URL is pointing to an invalid page
Thanks for the hack

-and I just asked Josh to change the link in the logo here and I didn't change it in my own signature! Thanks for letting me know (fixed) and thanks for the props!

[]ChAoS said:
Your site is looking great[/]

I like the color scheme that you use on the Emerald Forest!

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Thankyou,you made me some table wrappers (where is that in the mod index?) at one time but on the server I was using it made the pages slow and now they are a bit too neon for what I am using now but I really like the look of your page.

Last edited by ChAoS; 10/27/2004 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Odd that it would slow down your page load times -those graphics are pretty small...

Hi,

Great job on the mod! I just installed it and thought I would give you a headsup on aa few typos. I also have a couple questions.

In the instructions, you have a couple spots listed as $addsense instead of $adsense for modifying showflat.tmpl and showthreaded.tmpl.

For modifying gen_display.tmpl, you have ADDSENSE_1 and ADDSENSE_2 instead of ADSENSE_1 and ADDSENSE_2

Now to the tough stuff

How exactly do you use this mod and control the placement of the goodle ads? I have a vertical skyscraper as well as some horizontal ads, just not sure about placement?

What can be done to make the ads appear on the "Entrance" page for IIP in one of the customboxes?

Best Wishes,
Chuck

Addict
Addict
I have attached the customboxpal file I use for my install of IIP. You can modify the details to match yours, or keep them the same and serve ads for my account - no skin off my back!
Attachments
123868-custombox2pal.txt (0 Bytes, 208 downloads)

Thanks for the code, tried it and unfortunately we still cannot see the google ads
url for the site is http://www.corvettes.com/ , this is driving us nuts as to why it is not working.
Best Wishes,
Chuck

well go figure, the google ads now appear to be working. Sure has us puzzled, maybe a problem on google's end.
Anyhoo, thanks bunches for the supplied code!

On the topic of this mod, how exactly does one control placement of the ads?

Best Wishes,
Chuck

Thanks for the feedback! -I'll fix those typos soon...

You would have to generate a separate variable for each add type, then just call those variables on the templates where you want them displayed, so you wold want to make an adsense1.tmpl, adsense2.tmpl, etc. that generate an $adsense1 and $adsense2 variable. Then place the variables on the pages where you want the ad displayed.

Since Adsense "reads" the page to serve up ads that are relevant to your content you don't want to put ads on every page of your site -unless you like serving community service ads

Addict
Addict
If you're referring to my use of it in a palbox.... Hehe.

But seriously, I have no problem with displaying ads on (nearly) all of my pages. I rarely come across a community service ad. Even when viewing my calendar ( http://www.drumlines.org/threads/calendar.php ), the ads seem to know enough to display the ads that are pertinent to my community. Maybe it looks at your Meta tags as well.

I installed this before the two updates and they displayed all ok.

After a couple of months of them not showing adverts that would be of intrest to my members I e-mailed Google to ask them what I was doing wrong and this is the reply I got

[]Thank you for your email.

When reviewing your site I found that your web pages may not contain enough text-based content for our system to identify and display relevant Google ads. Please note that our crawlers are unable to derive meaning from images and dynamic media such as Macromedia Flash and JavaScript.

I recommend that you include more text-based content on your pages that reflect the type of ads that you want to see. This will help to assist our crawlers in gathering information about your pages and determining relevant ads to display. Complete sentences and paragraphs are helpful to our crawlers in determining the content of a page. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the results of any changes you make to your pages. If you make changes to a page, it may take up to 1 or 2 weeks before the changes are reflected in our index.
[/]

Does anyone know how to get round this?

No way around it that I know of: Google's crawler "reads" your pages looking for content that is relevant to the adds that they can serve. If you don't have enough text for the crawler, like Google's tech support people have said, then there won't be any adds to serve up for those pages...

Thats what I thought someone would say

Although, is there anyway of tricking them into reading my meta tags on every page they visit?

Lurker
Lurker
Just started to install this and got to:

In showthreaded.php look for:

// finish out the page

Well my showthreaded.php does not have this text anywhere in it??????

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Then search for

if (!$debug) {

Lurker
Lurker
should I put it right above that?

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I don't know what the directions say.

This:
// finish out the page

is at the same place as this:
if (!$debug) {

So, do whatever the directions say to do.

Cro Offline
Power User
Power User
hi guys. i have a question....

do u guys just put the adsense script into a pal and then just display that pal? cause i did that, but after a few days im still getting only PSA ads... do i need to include the code for "frames"? any suggestions? thanks

It depends on what's on the page -if there is nothing to key off of then all you'll get are public service ads...

Can this hack be made "group dependent"?

How so? Do you mean that the ads only display for certain groups?

yeah, so say my standard members are forced to view adverts, but my paying members arent.

so basically, they only show for one group.

It would be another way to encourage people to pay for membership, the fact that it will remove the adverts for them.

It could be done, but I'm busy on other projects. I'll add this to my "to do" list -but no promises on when I'll get to it...

Ok, no worries

Lurker
Lurker
thanks for this mod:)

Anytime

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]Dalantech said:
It depends on what's on the page -if there is nothing to key off of then all you'll get are public service ads... [/]

Yea, v6.5.1.1 doesn't have the below text in showthreaded.php:

// finish out the page

Has anyone figured this one out yet with v6.5.1.1?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mmm, added the hack in working around some of the changes in Threads v6.5.1.1, but I don't get the ads displaying.

I currently have the adsense code from Google being displayed in my footer file as a work-around for now until I can get this hack to function correctly.

Dalantech, any ideas on this one?

Give me a link that shows an example of the problem that you are having...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
No use in providing a link.....because the adsense link isn't even showing where it's suppose to per the hack. No errors, etc. However, my forums is located at: http://www.f-bodyhideout.com/ubbthreads The adsense banner you see is because I added that to the custom footer.

Maybe someone who has installed this hack in v6.5.1.1 can chime in here with what they had to do. I thought I could figure it out, but with no luck.

Go over the instructions one more time -I think you may have missed a step...

Power User
Power User
[]Dalantech said:
Go over the instructions one more time -I think you may have missed a step... [/]

Am having the same problems rechecked several times.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849