Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#281331 10/26/2004 10:06 AM
Upgraded to 6.5 all the way from 6.2 recently.

I won't even discuss the lack of admin improvements or decline in... no stats at all now??

I do have a serious performance issue. I used to run the post count hack under 6.2, but now it is built in

Seems that new 6.5 version is extremely fast and handles the load of my members - usually a max of 80 (in 10 minutes count), and the 700,000+ post count. when the new post count if off, but when turned on... during peak times, it kiils the server. Stats like less than a second to do the 10 queries on a page can rise to in excess of 60 seconds. Also, when responding to a post, the system can hang for in excess of a minute.

If a user "Marks all read" the issue does clear up for that user, which seems to tell me that is it post count releated.

Now, I understand the post count adds server burnden, but before the upgrade it was chugging along fine... example of 10 seconds for similar queries as mentioned above were common.

Any suggestions? Is there any part of 6.5 that can be causing an extra load that I may consider turning off? Spider Friendly URLs or another new feature?

My current box is:
Dual Xeon 2.4
SCSI drives
1GB Ram - Yeah I figured this is the easiest to increase for now.

Ther server is also running a pretty active vBull sites (80 members on at any given time), which is all part of the same site. Was going to merger the 2 into UBBT (my favorite), but members of the individual boards protested... The vBull site is much faster?? I like to be different, so my main board is the UBBT board

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I run a very similar environment to yours however I am still on 6.4, still the one thing that will surely slow things way down is post tracking. I also had one gig of ram and added a second because things were slowing way down during peak times and during backups. This has made a world of difference to my server, both my UBBT and VB boards run much smoother and faster now.

BlarC #281333 10/27/2004 2:01 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Post tracking is such a neccessary feature in my opinion. I forgot to enable it after an upgrade once and I about had a revolt on my hands. I haven't seen too many boards that do not have it enabled.

[]ChAoS said:
Post tracking is such a neccessary feature in my opinion. I forgot to enable it after an upgrade once and I about had a revolt on my hands. I haven't seen too many boards that do not have it enabled. [/]

LOL.. I have had that experience before myself, I thought I was going to get lynched

BlarC #281335 10/29/2004 6:11 PM
I added the seconf gig of ram and of course by necessity of the members, put post tracking back on.

All is running much better, but I'll see next Weds - our busiest day of the week.

Sponsored Links
There are other things you can do to increase performance, many have been covered in these forums.

Some examples:

-default aged threads to display set to a shorter interval (we're down to 2 weeks);
-extend your Who's Online time - we set ours to 30 mins;
-disable forum-wide searching;
-make sure my.cnf is optimized for your h/w;
-and there's other tips and tricks.

We run a 1.8ghz box w/ 1GB of RAM and see 150+ users online during our busy times, and usually always get subsecond response times.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63