Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Swift Action Forums : Runner-Up March 2003
By: Allen
Note: With their great layout, graphics and colour scheme, Swift Action Forums win this month's Runner-Up place in the Member Spotlight. Swift Action stops by to let us in on the tricks of the trade...

UBBDev: Tell me about the history of your site and when you got started.
Swift Action: Swift Action actually hasn't been on the internet too long. The UBB was put on-line in late November and opened in mid December. Before that though, it originated as an assignment in my graphic design class. We were to create a company and a logo. That was over a year ago, and since then I have played with the idea of the name Swift Action. I have used the name as the name of a potential movie theatre company, and many other things. I settled on just keeping it a website for the time, and Time Active and I began our work. I would toss some ideas out and he would play with them until we got something we liked. Now you see the UBB before you, and that is just the starting point of Swift Action.

UBBDev: When did you start using UBB on your site?
Swift Action: Late November 2002.

UBBDev: Which are the most popular forums on your board?
Swift Action: Obviously, General Insanity, as it is on most forums. others though would be the Musica and Silver Screen. They may not have as many posts as other forums, but they decieve the eye. Swift Action leans towards Movies and Music then any other form of entertainment and with the launch of the main site, I predict those forums to skyrocket.

UBBDev: Cool, smile Besides the UBB, what other content do you have on your site?
Swift Action: None. As I mentioned earlier. We have yet to launch the site. It's in production right now and I don't wanna get ahead of myself but I'm hoping for a late May or early June release.

UBBDev: How do you keep your site "fresh", and what can you recommend that will keep visitors coming back for more?
Swift Action: The subject matter is what keeps the site fresh. If all movies, music, and video games stopped being produced the site would die instantly. As the owner, I find it my responibility to seek out new information and get it to my site as soon as possible. I want people to hear about something and say "Hey, I heard that on Swift Action last week."

UBBDev: Sounds like you have an abundant and steady supply of subject matter smile What's the UBB mod that you like the best? And the one your users like the best?
Swift Action: Personally, I really enjoy Quick Reply. As for my members, I don't know if this counts as a hack, but we have recieved many good comments on the topics and how the posts are seperated from each other in their own box.

UBBDev: That can make a nice difference in the style. smile What's the one mod that you feel is an absolute necessity for your UBB?
Swift Action: Who's Online is a must. The reason is because if I can see that there is someone else on the board at the same time I would be more inclined to post and except a reply sooner, and I also find myself refreshing and checking back when I know someone was recently there or is currently visiting. It's like being in a room by yourself and being in a room with multiple people. Which is more fun?

UBBDev: Are there any "tricks of the trade" you'd like to share, so other UBB users can benefit from your experience?
Swift Action: I can't give any. I don't have any experience, and neither does Time Active, Kinmotsu, or Digital Chaos. We are all rookie UBB admins pulling together to make a great UBB.

UBBDev: Your site has really taken off, what are your future plans?
Swift Action: We are planning on a whole hell of a lot right now. We are going to have features that haven't been seen by too many people, at least I don't think so, and make sure we have our members involved. We not only will be filled to the brim with news content for movies, music, videogames, graphics, and current events, but we will also try to get some Swift Action gaming clans going as well as host monthly graphic design contests. I don't want to say everything just yet, but hopefully everyone will really enjoy Swift Action. look forward to the main site's release.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

UBBDev: Are there any things you might like to share that I've missed?
Swift Action: Nothing really that you've missed.

UBBDev: Since you guys are relatively new to the Internet web-mastery is there any special place you and the other admins are going to get up-to-speed on running a website? Got 3 favorite sites?
Swift Action: I'm not too sure what you mean, but what I gather you mean where do we go to talk about the site? If so, we use the conference room on the board. As for 3 favorite sites. I would have to say www.dbzcenter.com , www.planetplastica.com , and www.movies.com

UBBDev: You've obviously been spending a lot of time on the internet recently, have you gotten to see any good movies lately?
Swift Action: I try and see a movie a week in theatres. I've already seen Daredevil 4 times, I saw Old School and Cradle 2 the Grave as well. If you wanna know what I think check out my reviews in the review forum of my board. Also, I plan on seeing Willard and Dreamcatcher opening day.

UBBDev: Who's your pick for the Oscars Best Picture this year?
Swift Action: I pick Two Towers for my choice, however I see Chicago winning.

UBBDev: laugh Thanks for a great interview and congratulations again smile

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63