Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#292722 01/10/2004 12:48 PM
UBB.threads 6.4.1 has been released to the Member Area.

What's new in 6.4.1? Among the updates there are some changes to the search form that will be a real help for sites with a lot of posts (including an altertable, don't forget it!), a correction for HTML emails, a security update in the way password changes are handled, and a fix in the subscriptions.php cron script. This is a small release and quick to do, but well worth doing.

This will be the last 6.4 series release as Rick is hard at work on version 6.5, which will enter testing soon. Version 6.5 is a really large version with a total rewrite, from scratch, for the control panel, among other things. Keep your eyes on the support forums for screen shots of the new control panel and Rick's change log.

Here's the list of bug fixes:

* Fixed a bug that allowed anonymous users to make their posts sticky.
* Made a change to force a default group if for some reason nothing was selected in the config file.
* Made some changes to make sure the scripts for actually updating profiles were being called from the profile editors.
* Changed one of the indexes on the posts table to help with speed. On forums with alot of posts this change will be most noticeable if the Default Active Threads for that particular
forum is set to a lower number.
* Fixed a bug with the cron/php/subscriptions.php file that wasn't allowing it to send out HTML emails properly.
* Fixed a bug in the categories page that wasn't showing the proper icons when there were new posts in the category.
* Fixed a bug that was showing the "Add Signature" box for users that weren't logged in.
* Changed the default search range to 1 week instead of all dates, since searching on all dates can slow the forums down.
* Fixed an issue that was preventing HTML emails from being sent out properly in some cases.
* Made a change so the jump to box defaults to the current forum.

Please note that there is an altertable to run in this update. This altertable removes an old index on your posts table and adds a new one. As always, make a database backup before this and any upgrade.

If the version you are upgrading from did not have this old index you will receive an error message. That is fine, the altertable script will continue to run.

Adding the new index will take a while if you have a considerable number of posts. Chances are your browser will time out before it is done running. That's ok, the indexing will still continue in the background. DO NOT run it again if your browser times out.

Check out the official release here

Sponsored Links

Now I'll wipe my upgrade site and start from scratch, since I haven't finished my 6.4 upgrade yet.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
What would you guys recommend as being the best way to make life easier on oneself who has many 'Hacks' installed?

My plans were to make a fresh backup of my threads and database (leads me to another question), take note of the 'changedfiles.txt' file and update only those files. And, as you've pointed out Chuck...run the 'altertable'.

Then go through my 'Hacks' to see if any of the files that I had just overwritten had anything to do with them. If so, then apply the appropriate changes to them accordingly.

changedfiles.txt
------------------------
addpost.php
adduser.php
changebasic.php
changedisplay.php
changeemail.php
editbasic.php
editdisplay.php
editemail.php
modifypost.php
newpost.php
newuser.php
showday.php
showflat.php
showthreaded.php
ubbt.inc.php
ubbthreads.php

admin/doeditconfig.php
admin/editconfig.php

cron/php/subscriptions.php

languages/*/generic.php
languages/*/newuser.php

templates/default/categories.php
templates/default/editbasic.tmpl
templates/default/editdisplay.tmpl
templates/default/editemail.tmpl
templates/default/newpost.tmpl
templates/default/newreply.tmpl
templates/default/search.tmpl
-------------------------

Just confirming that I'm on the right path and I'm sure this may answer some questions for a few others as well.

Beyond Compare. Makes file comparsions easier than I believed possible.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]slayer60 said:
Beyond Compare. Makes file comparsions easier than I believed possible. [/]

Yea, I have this program installed... So you're saying that once I got the files changed...go to my 'hacked' versions and compare the two and make the appropriate changes from there?

I'm just looking for the easiest method used out there so I don't keep up with these late nights after my upgrades trying to get things back in order with the 'hacks'.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I never compare major upgrades.... as it causes too many problems and you can end up creating too many bugs. (ie 6.3-6.4). I recommend a clean upgrade to ensure the fewest problems unless you *really* *really* know what you are doing and are aware of the changes from version to version.

Beyond Compare and the like will make the minor upgrades fairly easy (like 6.4->6.4.1).

Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah cause not all files in the minor are changed. Do a beyond compare and see the changed the files and then just compare those to the new ones and you can usually see what was changed. But as Josh said I won't use Beyond if or when 6.5 comes out.

Old Hand
Old Hand
actually this is what I am doing.. loading virgin 6.4 up my hard drive in directory I and virgin 6.4.1 on my hard drive in directory II and comparing what they changed. then I will know what to change in the modded virgin of 6.4 on my webserver.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]scroungr said:
actually this is what I am doing.. loading virgin 6.4 up my hard drive in directory I and virgin 6.4.1 on my hard drive in directory II and comparing what they changed. then I will know what to change in the modded virgin of 6.4 on my webserver. [/]

Thanks...

Nice to hear how others deal with this as some of us can learn from others mistakes before going there.

[]JoshPet said:
I never compare major upgrades.... as it causes too many problems and you can end up creating too many bugs. (ie 6.3-6.4). I recommend a clean upgrade to ensure the fewest problems unless you *really* *really* know what you are doing and are aware of the changes from version to version.

Beyond Compare and the like will make the minor upgrades fairly easy (like 6.4->6.4.1). [/]

Just wanted to say this is exactly what I do. On major upgrades or the last two versions I have installed the new versions and hacked them up. On the minor updates like the one released here Beyond Compare works wonders.

I uploaded the changed files from my server and compared them against stock 6.4.1 files and made the necessary changes. Makes it real easy.

Sponsored Links
Hacker
Hacker
Does anyone know if the problem with multiple images was fixed?

http://www.ubbcentral.com/boards/showfla...;o=&fpart=1

This is causing alot of problems on my site and was hoping for a fix.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I dont' think so..... as that bug isn't tagged as fix.

If you want to test on a clean install, you can go to www.joshuapettit.com and play in the test forum there.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
>Does anyone know if the problem with multiple images was fixed?

I posted a fix in that thread.

Addict
Addict
Anno - I liked the other avatar you had.

Addict
Addict
Ahhh.....nevermind...they keep changing...

But yeah, I just used BC to update and it was a piece of cake! MMmmmmm...caaaake.....

Hacker
Hacker
> I posted a fix in that thread.

Rick mentioned that there was something more inolved, so was wondering what that was?

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I studied the code for quite some time till I found the bug, I don't think there is anything more involved. It is just a tiny change, and a very logical and obvious(once you have figured it out) at top of that.
Try it, if it doesn't work for you for any reason, you can always revert it back.....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63