Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[]navaho said:
Yellow folder is unread, white folder is read.

The next column is the message icon as always.

The reason we did that is because people had to make yellow and white moood icons previously, hard to do.

There are a ton of websites with a ton of message icons and a ton of folder icons, but nto too may with yellow and white mood icons. It's just easier to customize the looks fo your board if the message icons and the read/unread indicators are split out.

It also means that when we redo the icons we can make life easier on our artist, Judd. Same goes for you and your artist if you decide not to use our images. [/]

Seriously, I bet the job of an artist making 15x15 graphics is a lot harder than it sounds

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ok. I understand that, then probably what's confusing them is that when the read one "new" message, it turns all of the icons within that thread to read. I assum that is a bug which seems to be fixed here, but not in the 6.5b4 release?

i run sdstreetracing.com and streetracing.com
Not complaining here, so please do not take it as that. I am a legacy Threads user, and it is still by far the best system out there.

But the new little arrow icons for jumping to the first unread post are in my opinion, cumbersome and not necessary! The previous system we had where you simply click the link to hit the first unread post is so much easier, and already my beta board testers really don't like the arrows.

It has been compared to other forum systems that do NOT jump to the first unread thread (I won't name the heathens)...as this is one of the features that to me distinguishes Threads from other forums.

Again, just an opinion from me. I just saw no reason to have to change that, and will be forced to implement the hack reverting back to 6.4 style links for my boards.

Veteran
Veteran
I don't expect the arrows, as they currently function, to be a permanent part of threads. There well definately be a change int he way .threads works as compared to how it used to work, definately. Storing your last read posts, etc in the databaase was cumbersome and costly. The old behaviour will no longer be, but the behaviour you see today is not necessarily as it will be when .threads is shipped as final.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Coder
Coder
[]Again, just an opinion from me. I just saw no reason to have to change that, and will be forced to implement the hack reverting back to 6.4 style links for my boards. [/]

If you do that could you please share how you did it. That was one of the first things I asked about and they said it was because alot of prople requested something like that because they didnt like to jump to the first post and then have to scroll up or go back to read the first post....

Sponsored Links
Great to hear Navajo! Knowing the back end and the code pretty well, I can understand how it was cumbersome to store the posts as it was, but its great to hear this is going through an overhaul and the arrows are not necessarily the final version.

DrChaos - I believe that Josh posted about a hack already out here or in development that would return thread links to the way they currently are in 6.4.x. If not, it should not be hard to change and I would certainly do so and post it.

Veteran
Veteran
Josh's does return it to the older style I'm told.

Medar the end result will be a compromise somewhere between where we are now with the arrows and where it used to be. Like you I can't stand having to click that little arrow for every thread to get where I am headed.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
:shrug: I'm used to it now

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
One way to make the arrow stand out as a feature is to reverse it's current effect. So if the normal thread text is clicked on it will act as it normally has, taking you to the first unread post. Clicking the arrow would take you to the first post, it seems like it would be less confusing that way.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey guys. Does anyone have information on this problem thats around? Is perhaps there a quick fix for it? If I need to explain it better, please let me know. I have about 12K users really pissed right now

Sponsored Links
[]ericgtr said:
One way to make the arrow stand out as a feature is to reverse it's current effect. So if the normal thread text is clicked on it will act as it normally has, taking you to the first unread post. Clicking the arrow would take you to the first post, it seems like it would be less confusing that way. [/]

That's exactly what I'll be doing.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]XanthViper said:
Hey guys. Does anyone have information on this problem thats around? Is perhaps there a quick fix for it? If I need to explain it better, please let me know. I have about 12K users really pissed right now [/]

What problem do you mean? Can you be a little more vague?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hehe. Good point

Ok here is the situation. When a user comes to a thread that already had new posts on it, no matter where they may be in the thread itself, either in threaded or flat view, this little icon:

newfolder.gif

shows up for all new posts. Which is a good thing. Now, when you click on any of those posts to view them, all other messages that were new are now marked as read, leaving you unable to figure out which thread is new and which one isn't.

This currently happens in both of my installationsof 6.5b4 as well as on this board. When I came here, there were two new posts. I clicked on your new posts, and the other one is now marked as read.

So there you have it. I hope that makes some more sense and sorry I was so vague.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Oh...and to add to that, my default setting is THREADED view. When I post and then click the "VIEW POST" on the posted confirmation screen, I am put into FLAT mode.

Journeyman
Journeyman
man, i am running into a lot of bugs. where is the proper bug report page?

New one that just confirmed today is that moderators are unable to actually moderate. They have the permissions to do so, but are un able to do them.

Any word on the one I have been posting about above?

Veteran
Veteran

domain123 #293045 08/03/2004 4:56 PM
The UBBxdev link is dead. It should be evedev .

PamW #293046 08/04/2004 8:14 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
danke, will fix it

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
SisterKristi
SisterKristi
[]navaho said:
I'm broke. I bought a Mac. [/]

[:"blue"] Wow, I am sorry [:"pink"]navaho[/][]https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/images/graemlins/navaho.gif[/] . But, I thought Mac's were better than the others! What do I know anyhow.

PS. I use a Dell that has a 200GB hard-drive. [/]

Veteran
Veteran
Honest truth is that I really like my mac. Good luck with your Dell, enjoy.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Another one converts to the dark (mac) side.

[]JoshPet said:
Another one converts to the dark (mac) side. [/]

Sigh! Unfortunately, I've put my Mac aside for a PC. Just too many problems getting the things I need to run on the Mac. It's still there, but it's soooooooooooooo slow.

Where is b6? Will b6 be the last beta?

Veteran
Veteran
Don't know - all I can go on is the newsletter from last week, and that said 'any day now, if it isn't already'.

I guess it has been delayed by a day or so.

Hope it is out soon, as I need to start hacking it

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
:we want 6.5:

Kahuna
Kahuna
how is it decided how many beta versions there are?

like, why 6.5b6 and not simply 6.5 (since 6.51 will surely be in the works immediately) ?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It goes round and round in beta versions until it's bug free enough for public relase. There's no pre-determined number, it depends on how bug reports go.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yah, when the huge forums begin updating, you really want the most bugs squashed as possible

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
If a computer does what you wish, it's the best one for you...

That said..

IBM compatible forever!

PC is not accurate as both are PC's (Personal computer)

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
[]J.C. said:
If a computer does what you wish, it's the best one for you...

That said..

IBM compatible forever!

PC is not accurate as both are PC's (Personal computer)

[/]
Ummmm...

Power User
Power User
I hate to ask this question again, but how long until we are out of beta? My forums are crawling, but if it's not long I can wait... if it is I'll move to 6.41 as that might help me...

I'll give the official statement:
"When its ready"

Now, to expand on that. We already know that there is going to be a b5. There are quiet a few bugs that popped up and are squashed in b5. Will there be a b6? That depends on many many bugs pop up in b5. B4 has been out for a while, and there are already a lot of things that have been marked as fixed in the b5 release. Since they haven't released b5 yet, I believe that they are really trying to make b5 the last beta. But, again, it all depends on how many bugs pop up in b5.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
b5 has come and gone, actually. b6 is what is supposed to be released, though it might end up being b7 instead.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Power User
Power User
I'll take that as it's a month or 2 away then.

[]Charles Capps said:
b5 has come and gone, actually. b6 is what is supposed to be released, though it might end up being b7 instead. [/]
Well, my info(what I can download) still says we are at b4. Not all of us are a part of the inner circle. I guess its time to hire some spies.
Psst. Psst. Rick. Psst. Over hear. What'll it take to keep me in the loop? Don't worry, I'll keep it on the down low.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Just to mention a bug I found in beta 4:

The free prefix for the cookies don't work:
The effect we found was:
- a session cookie that could not be deleted when deleting cookies in the personal prefs.
- forum language set in personal prefs was forgotten on some pages.
- And something weired:
Situation was: Changing the BIO caused an error "too long":
that was ok. But when going back (history back in the browser), shortening the bio and submitting the bio again, there was an alert "referrer or cookie problem..." something like that. That was a "false error" probably in connection with the cookie problem...

Last edited by caymuc; 01/13/2005 6:07 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't checked - but please document these at ubbcentral.com if you haven't already

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63