Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
I was directed to this site/forum by a friend who told me I might be able to find someone to help me out with a project I'd like written. I've been searching for a Fantasy Football type script for a while now but have never come across anything. If you're familiar with Fantasy Football I'll try to explain. Even if you're not, I'll try to explain. I'll use football as an example, but I'd like it to be customizable for any sport or game.

The game involves creating your own football team. You select players from a list of available REAL players. Maybe I pick 2 players from the Packers, 3 players from the Patriots, and so on. The person playing the game creates a team of the best available players. They create their own "fantasy" team. Basically, they are like the coach. You get a bunch of people together and form a league. Everyone in that league creates their own team like I just mentioned to play against everyone elses team in the league. Everyone picks the players from the same list of football players so that one football player can't be used twice. Based on how your team does each week during the football games, you get points. The one with the most points at the end of the season wins.

Every week you enter the statistics from the game: Touchdowns, rushing yards, etc. and the points are then given based on how you set up your point system. Say your team made 3 touchdowns and maybe the rules that were set for the game give you 3 points per touchdown. When you enter the number of touchdowns every team got, it would calculate their points....and so on for a lot of different scoring techniques.

What I'm looking for is something that would allow you to do this:

1. Pick players from a drop down list (that could be modified by the person who is running the game...."the commissioner") for each position on the team. Quarterback, kicker, etc. You should be able to add or remove as many position fields as you want, since it could be modified for any sport or game.

2. Once that player is selected, it becomes unavailable to other users so you can't have duplications. Now, when these players are being selected, it's not a free for all. It is done in something called a draft where everyone waits while one person selects one player, then it goes to the next person and so on. The selections are done at random, so I might be #3 in the list to choose a player and you might be #7. You can only pick one player at a time, and then we start at the top again and everyone picks their second player, and so on until you have all the players you need. All your positions need to be filled.

3. An area to display rules and messages to all the players. This could actually just be in a forum.

4. A way to input weekly statistics and results from the actual football games. You'd need a separate field for each possible area you could get points. Like one for # of touchdowns, one for # of fumbles, and so on.

5. You'd also need a way to enter how your scoring will work so if you enter 7 touchdowns for say Tom Brady from the Patriots, whoever has TOm Brady as their Quartback will get the right number of points for 7 touchdowns, etc.

6. You'd also need something like a stats board where all the "fantasy" teams can keep track of their total number of points and their rank in the game.

7. Ability to register usernames and passwords.

This is just a stand alone script and doesn't need to be incorporated into Threads or any other forum software.

If anyone can help me out with this, or direct me to someone who can it would be appreciated! You can contact me via PM or e-mail. I'm on a limited budget, but let me know what you think something like this would run and we can talk if you're interested.

Thanks everyone!!

- 10k (John)

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Of course this can be done, WILL it be incorporated into a threads site? If it is, it would be much easier for me to do using the threads login, etc. You have given some good details here, but things tend to change during software development...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
John is a friend of mine. He does not use threads. <GASP>
He uses something called Envision Board.... you can see it here: http://www.moviejustice.com/forums/

I told him it couldn't hurt to post here as we've got lots of smart PHP/MySQL people. (Smarter than me anyway. )

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Sounds like a great idea, would be even cooler if it worked with threads' member db

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
Only one snag - you do not get touchdowns in football - that is called a hand ball - the idea is to use your feet

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hehe

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Ummm. I have been running a fantasy football league website for 3 years and teh best "out of the box" application that I have found for running the league is http://www.fflm.com.

They do not provide "web based" transactions other than submiting your line-up each week.

There is a guy Renegade that writes an ASP based database that allows online transactions and works with FFLM

You may look at my website (see sig) and look at how I have intergrated my forums with the reports that FFLM produces.

A little late to start now though.......:)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63