Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This hack is actually two hacks rolled into one. It allows users to receive e-mail notification for posts they reply to in addition to start, and it also allows them to turn e-mail notification off or on later by editing their post. The hack is pretty smart, in that it understands the current method of doing post notification in addition to its own, and will convert from the old to new method automatically. I would have figured someone would have done this hack a long time ago, but I guess not. I feel kind of dumb writing hacks for the current version when UBB6 is right around the corner, but oh well, it only took me about an hour, and half of that was while watching Outlaw Star. [Linked Image] This hack is currently only confirmed to work on v5.45c, as that's the version I'm using (I stopped upgrading when all the releases were either bug fixes I had fixed a long time ago, or features I didn't want or already had [Linked Image]). The internals of my UBB are hacked to pieces, and I've totally rewritten several inefficient routines, so I don't know if this will work on anyone's board but mine. I guess we'll find out. [Linked Image] Also, I know there are a couple existing hacks out there for editing e-mail notification, but I wrote my own a while ago and don't use either, so I expect there will probably be a conflict if use one of them, but of course you all have at least a working knowledge of Perl and understand what you're doing to the code, so it won't be a problem, right? [Linked Image] One more caveat, this hack has the potential to spew out a lot of e-mails if you have a busy board full of people who all use the e-mail notification feature. I've limited the number of people per thread who will receive e-mail notification to 30, but you can change that if you like. If your server starts to hang and you see postings.cgi showing up a lot in top, you may want to reduce that number a ways. With all that said, you can find the hack here:

http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/emailreply.txt

Please post here with your version number if you get this working successfully, I'd like to know which versions this works on. If you have any questions please ask them here first, don't e-mail me, that way everyone can benefit from the answer. [Linked Image]

------------------
Leshrac
leshrac@magictraders.com
Founder, Owner - Magic Online Trading League (MOTL)
http://www.magictraders.com
MOTL Bulletin Board

Sponsored Links
Sweet hack.

Fingers crossed hope it works [Linked Image]

You have in the instructions

Find

if ($Notes =~ /N/) {
$AddN = "N";
} else {
$AddN = "";
}

I searched posting.cgi and i couldn't find those lines in posting.cgi

BTW I am using ubb 5.47

This message has been edited by David Yang on January 25, 2001 at 04:51 PM

Look for something equivilent. Like I said, I don't have anything past v5.45c, so I can't help.

Well, I messed up. If you installed this hack already, one of the lines contains a hard-coded e-mail address I use for the post notifications. Search for the else statement with "[email protected]" in your postings.cgi, and replace that line with:

else { &send_mail("$BBEmail", "$sendto", "$subject", "$message"); }

The lesson here? Don't write up readme files after just getting up from only 4 hours of sleep. shocked

Sponsored Links
I can't find '[email protected]' in Postings.cgi. [Linked Image]

------------------
Cloud-

cloud@puremadnezz.com

http://www.puremadnezz.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

wpg Offline
Works fine for me on 5.47

Dave, that line you can't find is just a couple lines beneath

quote:

Cloud - Trying searching for just "magictraders". If you can't find that, then don't worry about it.

Nope, it wasn't there. Thanks!

------------------
Cloud-

cloud@puremadnezz.com

http://www.puremadnezz.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Works fine here... running 5.47

------------------
MyDivX ;-) Forums
http://www.mydivx.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Sponsored Links
what is the meaning of this line in the code

Code
code:

Is this leftowers from author forum, I mean some hardcoded values? Can I remove this line?

------------------
IgorJana

Igor
Works fine for me 5.47d
thanks [Linked Image]

------------------
Webmaster of The Van Halen Vault & The Van Halen Radio Network
Administator of the "Strung Out" message board @ http://wwww.vhstrungout.com

IgorJana - Yeah, that's another leftover from my site, you can just delete it. That's the last time I use Beyond Compare to help write up install documentation. shocked

2 Leshrac,

Fantastic. I was looking for this wery long time. What do you think, can you do same for UBB6? It doesn't have this feature.

------------------
IgorJana

Igor
Yes, I'm planning on converting this and a number of other hacks I've written to UBB6. Check out the thread regarding UBB6 hacks in the Chit Chat forum.

GREAT Hack...Been waiting this one and just installed it. Question...

Is thier a way that if a mod or admin edited the post, they can choose to turn off the e-mail notify. It seem right now, that unless you are the actual person, you can not turn off the flag.

I ask this because I would love to tun it off for some people who's e-mail address is no longer good and it bounces back or if they have the darn vacation message on and that come back.

Thanks again! Great Hack!!!

Actually, there is. Find this bit of code in postings.cgi:
Code
code:
Change it to:
Code
code:
Thanks for pointing this out, I've updated the hack install file.

[ March 03, 2001: Message edited by: Leshrac ]

@ Leshrac

thanks for this nice feature !
work fine on my 5.47e

@ all
don't mention on the changes above my post.
the version on Lesharc's download area ist actual !

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Nice work Leshrac... will install tonight on a site.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hi,
is it possible that some ' should be replaced in the code with " ?

Since I've implemented this hack some Userprofils are overwriten with profils from other persons !

thanks for an answer

[ March 07, 2001: Message edited by: Onkel_Tom ]

This hack does not modify any profile information in any way. Something else must be the cause of your problems, or you did not install the hack correctly.

Not sure how we did it but after we installed the hack we started getting duplicate user profiles also. The duplicates overwrote valid profiles.

We're trying to do a restore of the profiles right now. We'll try to figure out what went wrong later.

We're on version 5.47d

@ Lesharc
After removing this hack all problems with duplicated Profiles are gone !

using 5.47e on Linux

there must be a problem ....

I'm currently running v5.47e without any such problems. Again, this hack does not modify the profiles in any way, and uses local and uniquely named variables whenever possible to ensure it does not interfere with any other standard UBB code. You must have either installed it incorrectly, or a conflict is occuring with another hack you have installed.

Hi, Leshrac...

I'm ABOUT to try this mod on the fully registered 5.45b version. I hope it works. frown

Also...

Whoever has the ability to do so, please go ahead and edit the post above by IgorJana posted January 29, 2001 02:46 PM , and please REMOVE the
 tags there.  The post will STILL show the code, but it will NOT generate a horrid horizontal scrollbar on this page at the most commonly-used screen resolution of 800x600, as it now does.  It is VERY difficult for me to read and follow the posts here, having to constantly scroll left-to-right for each sentence.  And I feel I really need to read everything, especially since it appears that certain revisions to the initial code for this mod are necessary.  I do not want to make any mistakes.

Leshrac...

Have you UPDATED your coding in the initial link in your first post here to reflect the changes you indicated now and again throughout this thread? I'm referring to the link you included initially for http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/emailreply.txt way up top.

Thanks in advance to both my questions.
Thanks to Leshrac, for the code and his response, and thanks to whatever Admin edits that post above by IgorJana to prevent this horrid horizontal scrollbar on this page.

Take care!
...Tom

[ March 14, 2001: Message edited by: phzzz ]

Admin or Moderator...

To show you that after editing the post above by IgorJana dated January 29, 2001 02:46 PM , and REMOVING the
 tags in that post WILL STILL allow the code initially posted to show up, I have re-created a WORKING duplicate of this thread, temporarily, at MY server.  The HORRID horizontal scrollbar is GONE!!  LOL!  smile

PLEASE take a look at it, and please do the same as I did...
E-Mail Notification for Replies

Thank you!
...Tom

quote:

Ahhh... Leshrac!

Thanks for replying. I must have missed that in an earlier post. smile

[ March 15, 2001: Message edited by: phzzz ]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63