Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Without any warning, all of the sticky threads in many forums of my web site got down. When I opened the messages, they appear like they are up (i.e. they show the "get down" icon), but if you try to send the threads up again, it doesn't works. No error messages found, but that day the hard disk in my server got out of space. That was fixed, but sticky threads doesn't works yet.

I'm using UBB 5.45c.

Sponsored Links
Very confusing explanation. But let me get this straight, when you bump/stick they don't go to the top?

Yes, the threads don't go to the top, and the threads in the top got down by themselves (ie no moderator or administrator sent them down).

This happened one day simultanely in most (but not all) of the forums in my site.

Excuse me... my english is bad.

Check the hacking of forumdisplay.cgi

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
If you ran out of server space then this is not good, it has happened to me before and it can mess things up quite a bit. Any files that are open at the time will get wiped a 0 bytes written to them. So member files, config files etc.. that were open at the time that the server ran out of space, cant be written to, so they are saved as 0 byte files.

I suggest reload from a backup if you have one. Or search your site, for 0 byte files, and see what they belong to. Then you may have to recreate/reload them.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
Sponsored Links
But if he's board and posting is working fine now doesn't that mean the files aren't 0 bytes?

Moderator / Code Fixer
Moderator / Code Fixer
Good point! But its just something he should check to aid in working out a solution to his problem.

I can't afford a good signature editor frown
Hi lUiGinO, its me P2kewl4u. This is a bug in the code for it happens to me as well. After what seems to be 2 months to the day you made the topic stick, they end up going back down in the thread list. When you open those particular messages, it will show that they're still "topped".

You have to un-top them, then re-top 'em.

Rebuilding your forum data also has an effect on sticky threads it would seem. I have never looked at the code as it isn't a big deal but I suppose I can see where it gets annoying if you're message traffic is very large.

If you're constantly updating message threads or rebuilding your data (every day as you mentioned), this would cause the threads to unstick. The sticky fools UBB into thinking it's a new message but as far as I can recall, only modifies the lastforum.cgi and not the HTML and #####.cgi date within the particular forum. So when you rebuild your HTML data and forum data, it rebuilds it with the HTML and #####.cgi files associated with each post. Since the sticky thread code does not modify those files, your end result is a rebuilt forum with no sticky threads.

Thankfully we have Lord Dexter pointing you in the right direction.

quote:
Check the hacking of forumdisplay.cgi
May as well have said the sky is blue.

Hope that helps lUiGinO.

-p2kewl4u

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63