Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44835 01/31/2001 7:01 AM
OK. I've been beta testing UBB6, it's nice, and I'm sure there will be a lot of good hacks for it before the month (Feb.) is over.

But there is 1 hack *I* need:

I need my HTML pages back! No #$%^ cache, just the static HTML.

This would be the only reason that I would get UBB6.

Without this hack, I'm not going to upgrade.

Let me explain. I've been submitting my UBB pages to search engines for around 2 years. Every other day I submit (I use WebPosition Gold). Last December I got 40,000 hits from the search engines (23% of my UBB's traffic), this month I will end with over 50,000 hits.

There is NO way on earth I'm going to sacrafise these hits. Search engines don't spider beyond query strings (only one I heard is Google???), so that would cut my traffic by around 25%.

I am not interested in the "speed gains" by the new caching system. Heck, if my UBB get slow, I have a good reason to upgrade my server!

OK, I'll better stop now!

Thanks for all the lovely hacks, I have a few installed on my 5.47 UBB.

Last edited by Gizmo; 08/17/2016 2:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Ell Offline
It's possible to disable the cache, but that doesn't affect individual threads; they're all dynamically generated no matter what you do.

Shouldn't be difficult at all to get the system to spit the HTML generated when you get a topic into a file instead of to the browser. It would only need a few lines of alteration in total (and one to make the forum display link to the HTML files instead)

Sounds good... I don't have any perl experiance to do it myself, so I'll wait and see if some body want's to step in here.

You can also contact me privately....

Last edited by Gizmo; 08/17/2016 2:06 PM.
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
This could be relatively easy to do.

SSI. Just have the UBB create a simple little file where it would have created a thread. It would just be a matter of mapping .html to be parsed for SSI tags...

This COULD be an issue if you get an unfriendly spider coming to your site, but at least you'd still have your .html files.

And you wouldn't need to do anything to alter the way UBB6 works otherwise. [Linked Image]

------------------
Liam: "...The only part I can't get to work is the actual equation: Poisson(X) = (A^X x e^-A)/X!"
Tim: "You've a mathematical function named w/ the French word for fish?"
-- as overheard on Flare.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Ahh well, I'm myself not capable of doing that so... I doubt that there is much interest in this, most people don't seem to care about it (search engines), but since they bring me around 25% of my UBB's traffic, I think I stick with UBB 5.47....

Sponsored Links
just wanna bump this thread back to the very top... this is a "must have"-hack.

Borg (okay..first make WOL final laugh ), MM, Allen - I know you guys are able to do that and you´ld do us all a huge favour smile

Guess the most of us are hacking their boards without knowing very much about perl, ssi and whatever.

most spiders reject sites with cgi-referrers. the only one i know which accepts them is - indeed - google.

for ubb5.x there was a hack called "html summary". that´s what we´re looking for - and I wanna be honest: it´s more important to me than then the final of "Who´s Online"... ya hear me ?

i know - it´s easy to beg for something. call me lame, but i´m not able to write 5 correct sentences of perl-code.. [Linked Image]

so...is there a way that this one is making some progress ? i would be more than just thankful..

[ April 30, 2001 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Marvin ]

ICQ# 11307124.
*Bump*

ICQ# 11307124.
*bump*

Is there no mod_rewrite based hack that at least creates a static HTML archive of threads?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
heheh... an old bump laugh

In your cache folder there's a ubb_files/summary/summary.html

It looks to me like that would be jat a matter of getting it to write to 2 places instead of one.

I think that would be a start. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
This isn't a hack to UBB code, and it probably isn't the most elegant solution, but for those who want to get their UBB 6.x indexed by Google and other spiders, I'll shamelessly promote my solution:

UBB Spider Hack

http://www.totalwebpackage.com/ubb-spider-hack.html

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It looks kind of interesting, but I'd be quite weary of having to *pay* for a ubb addon lol... I mean, the UBB code was one thing, and the "added traffic" would be good, although I already get quite the hits... Perhaps if you lowered your price to say $20 you may get a few more people interested in it?

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
I wouldn't pay $1 for an addon... I also guess it's pretty simple, using .htaccess and stuff (cause it says it requires apache) and redirecting to a script (which PHP is the best solution probably, cause it says it requires php)

How about Charles puts this on the features list instead for a future release and makes the masses happy, gets a nice feature to put on the features list, and saves us from having to buy something like this? Heh.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Charles will never put a feature in the UBB which would work only on Apaches.

Ha? Considering the old v5's wrote to html, why not?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
$50 isn't bad if it works well... probably not recommended for a private, personal site, but if you're looking to increase traffic on a site you depend on for income...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63