Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kahuna
Kahuna
there's frequently been questions about the proper way to integrate flash movies into the ubb, using flash animations for certain graphics (in place of standard jpgs and gifs).

i was wondering if someone (with my help, if need be) could produce the conclusive "flash integrated modification" -- providing (perhaps) a way to enter the flash animation's name (with a .swf extension) directly into the control panel's style sections, as if it were a "regular" graphic.

this would allow people to easily use flash as their header graphics, posting buttons, smiley faces, etc, etc.

and, the hack will become more and more useful, as more people become familiar with flash.

so, consider this a HUGE request, from your pal, rob laugh

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
methinks the subjects "flash" wording frightened prospectors away.

come now, no one daring enough to accept the challange? wink

me am not to smart on duh hackin, but, im pretty good with flash, and would be able to help out wherever possible, on that front.

i think it'd be a useful hack... especially for me! smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I would help in whatever way is possible Rob...

first step would probably be to check the codebuttons modification for v6, as I am sure they have already gotten this added in, would just be a matter of pulling the appropriate code out for use in a "flash-only" install...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hmmmm, maybe this site will give ya guys an idea of what might be possible with a Flash-enabled UBB wink

http://www.x-pressive.com/flash/main.html

Kickass implementation, and I'm sure it's very possible to integrate this into UBB6 (at least, I think it is).

Kahuna
Kahuna
canis: tho disturbingly cool :), that site is a lil beyond what i was talking about. if y'all know how to create it, im all for it! but, its a little TOO much... for now anyway.

i was referring to more of just a way to encorporate all (or some) flash graphics in place of the current graphics boards now feature. (so that all / some buttons, smileys, header graphics, new folder icons, etc, would be fully working SWF movies, instead of jpg / gif graphic files).

allen: i've always been "against" ubb code buttons, just because they add a whole buncha too-complicated features n'such. then again, i've never actually utilized it, so, im not exactly sure of its capabilities. it is possible tho, like you said, that all that was needed would be to "steal" the code from there.

overall, im just excited about the potential my lil proposal would allow. i've used flash movies as my header files before, by going in an hacking the html part of v5's code...

but, having the ability to just pop in "header.swf" (or "newtopic.swf") into my control panel's style settings sounds fantastic!

again, like i said, im pretty dumb when it comes t'all this crazy template n'cgi stuff. so, i dont know exactly how this "pop in" thing would work (is it possible to create settings option fields next to each graphic name field in the CP? since flash movies have parameters to be sized differently, or looped, etc. or would it be possible to setup up several field "options" per graphic, so that you could easily switch back n'forth between jpg and swf, if you wanted a different look.)

but, hey, if y'all are willing to help create this as a cool ass mod, ill do anything i can! just point me in the right direction smile

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
it's just a matter of using the piece of code from the codebuttons that allows .swf's to be posted by the ubb.. I would imagine it's in the ubb_lib.cgi, tho I haven't looked at it... lemme know if you run into speed bumps.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
here you go, insert this in ubb_lib.cgi:
Code
code:

your .swf's should work now... lemme know.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
this... you... it... here....

this wasnt here before?!

6 hierarchical menu trees created? ..what the...

well... ANYwho... smile

hh! i didnt even get a chance to start workin on this, and you're done!!

im gonna go check this out. you rock, allen! laugh

Kahuna
Kahuna
allen, my friend...

just about to mess around with this...

does this allow poppin in SWFs in the control panel (as if jpgs/gifs) for header graphics and/or posting icons? (which is my final goal)

Kahuna
Kahuna
nope frown

i get a broken image pic (upper left header)

http://www.robkamphausen.com/cgi-bin/testubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm.. it seemed like a good idea.

I don't know why it doesn't show... are you putting the flash files in the same directory you would put your old .jpg's in? Then just putting robsboards001.swf in the title graphic box...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
yessir. i done do'ed that. i too am upset over it not workin (as that'd just be TOO easy! :))

a question, tho...

when you enter a graphics name in that box (in the CP), it automatically enters it into html code, right?

for example:

header.gif - gets popped into -

however, flash files dont look like that. y'cant put header.swf - because its not the right code. y'need all that "embed/object/paramname, etc, etc" garbage.

...helpful?

[ March 27, 2001: Message edited by: drkknght ]

wow, that forum is WOW!

how the HELL did they do that?

Kahuna
Kahuna
guh?

[arrogance]...um... well, i guess I'm wow![/arrogance] smile

forums would be better, were there more flash involvement. we'll blame that all on allen, tho. its easier. wink

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You should be able to edit the public_common.pl file to support any flash files you want for your logo, etc... the code I gave you was more for the thread posting. Look for the common header part of that file and find the img src= section of that that controls the logo up top. You can change that to a flash src= whatever you normally put there (embed, etc) and then just name the file in your styles, you can change it to whatever you want or make several style templates and switch occasionally.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Has anyone had any luck figuring this out yet. I have a little flash movie I would like to put in place of the default gif in the upper left of my UBB....

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This stretched screen is getting on my nerves... smile

You will need to edit public_common.pl in the title table section. This piece wil need to be edited so that you can include flash files there:

Code
code:

basically, you'll need to edit the

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
oh, but allen, its so much deeper than that smile (i agree about the screen, btw!)

swf flash movies have more parameters and settings than jpgs and gifs. most importantly, size. there is no "default" swf size. (like, when you pop in a header.jpg, it comes out the size of the jpg. when you pop in header.swf, it goes to whatever size it wants... unless you specify it in the HTML parameters).

so, what i wanna look into creating is a CP accessible flash... thing. so that, in style settings, next to header graphic, you'll get a entry box entitled "flash file" (for your .swf) and two other boxes for height and width dimensions.

same type thing for all the other options (new topic button, reply button, etc)

...problem bein, i dunno how to mess around with the CP. i can make extra fields, but... i dunno how to actually have'em appear in the CGI script (or, the template... or whatever).

***in addition to all that garbage, id like the template to be able to accept both swfs OR jpgs (so, maybe add a whole extra text field where you can type in a jpg/gif name, in case you dont have a swf for, say, the new topic button. that would really just be whats there now, and we'd be adding the flash-enabled text boxes to the originals

quote:
Almost done, do you read minds wink Give me a day or so testing and I'll release this. VERY EASY! UBB6 ROCKS!

Specs on what I am working on
So far just the header will have the option to be a flash graphic or an image (your choice made in the cp and can be set to be different for each style)
I am coding it so that you can set the background color and sizes (which will work for the images to to help speed up page loading slightly).

It has a toggle switch to pick between image or flash titles too smile

Also thinking ahead and setting up a script that will let you pass a variable into flash to use as either text to be displayed or just to control which scene your movie will play upon loading.

After I test this I'll look into adding more button options (which will be cut and paste coding from that point)

jeremiah
Kahuna
Kahuna
for the love of...

sweet!

can i say i made it? wink

laugh

Just wanted to give you an update and maybe get some ideas/feedback/pre-release beta testers. (Some flash knowledge would be handy)

Here is the control panel so far
[Linked Image]

Anything I should change or add?

So far testing has been flawless and I'll add the options for 'New Post' & 'Reply' Buttons tomorrow. Any other requests? Maybe the search + UBB friend titles?

Do you think, while I am doing this, that I should make an option that would let you select an alternate address for the title image in the settings (could be passed to the flash file as well)?

The Flash variable is being passed in and so far I have used it to display the value in flash file as well as just use it to control what scene the movie goes to upon loading. My thoughts were that you could use one movie throught your boards, if you wish, and have it go to different scenes based on what page loads.

I am going to add a toggle for the Flash param that will make the background transparent for IE/Windows users because the effect is not what they hoped for sometimes smile

I think in the disclaimers I will have to put something like "Not responsible for annoying results" tipsy

Well, I am tired so I apoligize if I am rambeling.

Going to bed now.... Expect a full release in a day or two based on suggestions/requests posted here.

jeremiah
ps - everyone that posted code in this thread please take it out. OUCH!!!!

*cough* Allen *cough* LOL

please..... tipsy

jeremiah
Wow i'm excited, I was looking to add this very feature the other day. If you still need a beta tester look no further. I'm pretty good with flash and will help out if I can. If you want to you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Kahuna
Kahuna
my beautiful freakscene!! wuhoo!! smile

ok... suggestion stuff:

1) im assuming y'have it set up to work in both netscape and IE (just incase!)

2) a good idea to include a description tag that note the flash button properties (including the header graphic) must be created with the links built in flash (as they can't be applied later, like with a gif/jpg graphic)

3) confused on the "variable" field .... izzit for entering flash paramters? (like, "param loop=true")

4) (wishful thinking) can it be set up so that you can enter both a jpg and a flash file, and those with newer browsers see the flash, those with older see the jpg?

5) as for other objects to make into flash accessible... all of'em! smile posting icons, "new post" icons, header graphics / forum, smiley faces... anything and everything.

hm... oddly thats all i can think of now. CANT WAIT for this tho.

lemme know if i can help out further!

Thanks for the feedback!

1) im assuming y'have it set up to work in both netscape and IE (just incase!)

Yep tipsy

2) a good idea to include a description tag that note the flash button properties (including the header graphic) must be created with the links built in flash (as they can't be applied later, like with a gif/jpg graphic)

I'll definately add more descriptive verbage although with the variable option it is not always true that that the links have to be hardcoded in the flash wink

3) confused on the "variable" field .... izzit for entering flash paramters? (like, "param loop=true")

Nope, every instance the flash header is loaded used this variable is passed into the flash object via some embedded javascript. The idea of using this came from a time when I was creating a flash menu on a non framed site where it (the menu) was the only flash on the site. I only wanted to make the user load the flash file one time but have it go to the appropriate scene the deeper into the site they ventured. The original concept was to do this using cookies (which will work just fine) but a friend came of with this and it works without fail (as long is javascript is enabled)

What comes to my mind as options for this?
Enter the title of your bbs/forum and have the text displayed over a (non annoying) animated background.

Pass an Address into it for the link so if move your boards to a new address, there is no changing of the flash required, just the variable.

You could even set it up as a string containing multiple values and break it up within the flash.
Ex: www.youaddress.com/ubb.cgi|Forum Title

For the post/reply buttons you could have the post/reply verbage loaded dynamically into the buttons.

Coding it this way allows 'skinnable' buttons/title files if coded correctly and maybe we could have some nice additions to the database here of simple swf files that you just have to drop into your noncgi folder!

I am planning on including at least one sample fla file to show how to receive the variable and it will be documented in the instructions as well.

Remember that using the variable is optional.

4) (wishful thinking) can it be set up so that you can enter both a jpg and a flash file, and those with newer browsers see the flash, those with older see the jpg?

Good idea smile I'll definately do that!

5) as for other objects to make into flash accessible... all of'em! smile posting icons, "new post" icons, header graphics / forum, smiley faces... anything and everything.

Definately! At first I was not sure if doing more than the title would be such a good idea but since it has a toggle and gives you the ablity to choose between graphic or flash we will definatly expand this tipsy

I'll be contact everyone that wants to be included the first wave of beta testers tomorrow (it works though, It will really be to test the install instructions and get more suggestions on how to make it better).

just updated my HyperCells Hack if you want to get a feel of what the styles section will look like.

ps - ALLEN, please kill the code in the above posts!!!!! tipsy

jeremiah
Beta test please smile

OK, I am just giving you guys the bbtitle code for the moment to make sure the instructions are working for everyone.

This is only 1/80th of the full hack.

Demo : I have a style set with a flash file here
(note, I have been coding the hacks and only spent a second on the crappy swf file just to demo).

If this test goes well, I'll release the rest of the code tonight or tomorrow smile It will include the changes discussed in the previous threads.

I don't question that the hack works because it does, just my instructions. How can we make it better? Don't say add more graphics, they are coming (read previous posts) laugh

Want to be a pre beta release beta tester?
Get the instructions here

the next release will come with a zip and some basic flash buttons you can drop in and set the text with the variable smile

another screen shot of cp settings
[Linked Image]

[ March 31, 2001: Message edited by: freakscene ]

jeremiah
Umm hello? Does anyone even want this?

jeremiah
i REALLY want this, and it is looking awesome so far! keep up the good work, can't wait for this to come out since i am learning flash as we speak! laugh

Sweet, good work! I installed it without any problems and it works perfectly so far.

quote:
Thank you!!! I just wanted to make sure I was making the doc easy to follow smile I'll add the rest in and post it tomorrow in the beta forum.

Any suggestions or ideas please post them! I would like to address as many options as possible up front laugh

jeremiah
nah, sounds good so far ^_^ laugh can't wait

Ok, I hate to do it but I am going to bump the beta release date back another day. I had a brain fart and will be adding another option... It is easier to do it while it is still not requiring support and will reduce the upgrade documents if I do it now smile

jeremiah
Putting the wraps on this now laugh

The options for the images now include :
1 - Normal UBB Display
2 - Flash
3 - Mouse Over Buttons smile

All of these are set in the style settings so you can have endless combinations on your boards!

Going to write up the install docs, do fresh installs on 6.03 when it is released (I predict tomorrow)
Then I'll put it up in the beta section.

[ April 05, 2001: Message edited by: freakscene ]

jeremiah
It didnt work for me. Sorry frown

Just did a fresh install on 6.03 (twice to test) and it worked fine??? You must have done something wrong.

The previous version was just a trial run anyway, the new version (gimme a day more) works great too.

jeremiah
this looks like a "must have option" I would be very interested in beta testing. I don't know any scripting but I do use flash alot. Reply to gene@vp-6.com
What versions of UBB does this work with? 6.02 & 6.03??

[ April 08, 2001: Message edited by: gene1938 ]

I got UBB v6.02 still.. to lazy to update it smile

Kahuna
Kahuna
ok ok ok...

so share it already! smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
pulled the code jeremiah... tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
guh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63