Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51282 12/04/2001 6:04 PM
Either hate them or ignore them - nobody loves newbies.

Write comprehensive rules to your board and they just hit AGREE without reading them. Agonize over writing the perfect FAQ and it never gets read. Take a newbie under your admin wing and train them and another set of them come in causing the same old trouble.

If I removed the newbie problems from my list of admin work, I'd be able to have a life again and actually take part in discussions on my board!

So let's tackle some of the newbie problems.

1. Not reading the rules and regulations when registering.

Unlike most admins, I've actually made changes to these rules with important information about picking a username and special guidelines for content. I want these rules to be read at least. If they won't follow them, then I'll still have work to do, but most people will follow rules if they know what they are.

How about in addition to a simple AGREE button, they have to answer a question correctly to register? These questions would be picked at random from those that admin sets up in the control panel. The answers should be kept simple, as in one-word answers or simple phrases. Yes or no wouldn't work very well.

For example, I have a rule about not advertising other sites if they have a message board with the same subject. A question could be "Advertising of other sites is prohibited only if it contains a BLANK of the same subject." with the answer being the phrase "MESSAGE BOARD". There could be as many questions as you choose to write, but they only have to answer one random one.

Now I understand the limitations of this, but I'd even settle for a newbie SKIMMING the rules rather than just scrolling down and hitting AGREE. Imagine, users actually reading the rules!

2. Not reading the FAQ.

Again, my site has extensive changes to the FAQ with guidelines for all sorts of special threads or unique forums. I need users to read the FAQ in order to keep things organized without having to prune and move things 24 hours a day.

The idea for the FAQ is very similar to the rules idea, but with a twist. A test of multiple questions is what we need here, instead of just one question for the rules. These questions would also be set up in the control panel. Admin can decide whether to ask all the questions, or a number of them randomly.

Here's the twist. Newbies would have to pass the FaqTest to gain rights on the board. If they don't pass the test, then they can't post new topics and can only reply. Or perhaps admin doesn't even want them posting replies before passing the test. Other rights, like PMs or even Who's Online could be removed for users who haven't passed the FaqTest.

If an admin thinks it is important for newbies to read the FAQ, then some way to force them is also important. If newbies just read the FAQ about posting junk in a special thread, then they wouldn't do it in most cases. If an admin wants all the "I'm new" threads in a certain forum, then reading the FAQ is the best way to get newbies to do this. My mouth waters at the prospect of doing half the work wrangling newbies.

3. What else?!

Actually, I'd settle for newbies reading the rules and FAQ. I'm sure it would help greatly in solving most problems.

What other issues do admins have out there with newbies? How about some suggestions to take action and solve these problems once and for all? Let's get some ideas bouncing on the subject!

"For who would lie idle when the king has returned?"
www.MinasTirith.com
Sponsored Links
#51283 12/08/2001 11:27 PM
Developer
Developer
uh... k

#51284 12/08/2001 11:40 PM
Good ideas! I like them and will take them under total advisement for a hack i will make. Excellent ideas and will work for alot of admins.

Keeping here, copying to dev...

#51285 12/09/2001 1:44 AM
And I thought this thread would never get a response!

Here's the LINK to the conversation in Infopop's forums on this topic.

I was going to start doing this hack if no one else was going to do it. I guess I'll let the experts tackle it. Just give me a mention in the credits!

[ 12-09-2001 12:49 AM: Message edited by: White Gold Wielder ]

"For who would lie idle when the king has returned?"
www.MinasTirith.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849