Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55292 01/17/2003 7:12 PM
Is there a way in which I can select which forum categories I want to display without the forums?

I guess this is similar to the Infinite Sub-Categories hack, but the only difference would be that some of the categories will allow the forums to show up on the public_forum_summary.pl while let's say, "Administrative" is set to category view only, where the forums are suppressed until the category link is clicked.

The flexibility for this feature would be awesome. thumbsup

Sponsored Links
That's in "Extended category Settings", and I've been waiting for awhile for somebody to modify the code for one of the pages (cp_forums_cats.pl), since it's very different from the 6.3.1.2 that I am using...

If you look for the thread entitled "I need a way to make specific categories invisible", you see that this is a possibility.

While The Extended Category Settings is a cool hack, I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for. I don't want a particular category to become hidden...I would like the forums in a particular category to be surpressed until you click on the category's name.

Basically, as an example, categories 1 - 4 display normally (category + forums will show) while category 5 only shows the category, but not the forums. This is for public_forum_summary.pl file. The settings in CP will still be selected as:

"Yes, display my forums by category." and "No, do not start with categories only."

Basically in CP there could be an option to select that all forums in "this" category will not display in the public_forum_summary.pl.

smile

As I understood it, the Extended categories hack would do that...

Well if that's the case then I'll try it. smile

Sponsored Links
#55297 01/21/2003 10:48 PM
Hmm...Unless I did this wrong? I've installed the Extended Category Settings hack and this is not what I'm looking for. The best I can do is "hide" a category from everyone...But what I would like is to surpress the forums, not make a category invisible. Example:

---------------

Category 1
forum 1
forum 2

Category 2
forum 1
forum 2

Category 3

-----------------------

Noticed that "Category 3" is still visible on the forum summary but the forums do not display. When "Category 3" is clicked then the forums will show.

Maybe LK can figure it out? laugh

#55298 01/28/2003 10:43 AM
This too is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, but it appears it isn't a possibility yet...

Any help on this would be fantastic!

Cool. UBB coders wanted please. tipsy

Is this what your talking about? link down

Here's the doc: TXT

I should warn you that it's not compatible with the infinite subcategories or extended category. If you want these to be compatible, just let me know. smile

#55301 01/28/2003 11:21 PM
Whoa...Hahaa! The "Admin" category is exactly what I was referring to. Forums 1-3 are hidden and only viewable when you click the category link. You're the man Brett!

Hmm...While I have the Extended Category installed I don't think I have any use for it (although it's a cool hack). For myself I'm cool with your version as it stands now.

I'll try this later tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks Brett again! smile

Sponsored Links
I just installed your hack and it works perfectly. I haven't spotted any bugs so far. thumbsup

Just curious...Based on this hack is it possible to suppress only certain forums? Example: I can select which forums I wish to suppress via CP so in the forum summary the forums I have selected will not show up. Only when you click on the category link will the forums be seen.

Thanks again Brett for an awesome job! smile

Thanks! laugh Way ahead of ya! Hiding forums, individually is much easier. smile

Download: Doc TXT

The option to hide them is in the detailed forum edit/add pages. But an option on the main forums page can be added if you want.

If you click the demo above, you'll see that i have forum 8 hidden in the other category, but if you click the category, it will appear.

LOL...Damn. This is too scary. Did I already say you're the man? I was just about to go to bed (2:00am Hawaii time) but I must try this hack. laugh

Thanks again Brett! I'll let you know how it goes!

I just installed it and reviewed the steps 3 times to make sure I did it properly. For some reason when I select "yes" in the CP to display the forums it reverts back to "no"; when I select "no" (to suppress the forums) the forums still show up in the forum summary. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Ohh...I think where it says:
"Open cp_edit_forums.cgi && cp_add_forums.pl"

it should be:
"Open cp_edit_forum.pl & cp_forum_add.pl"

Where it says to find (twice) in cp_forums.cgi:

Code
[/code]The second one will be:
[code]
Hope that helps. smile

Ohh...I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I just re-checked cp_forums.cgi and where it says to find:

Code
[/code]there are two instances of it.

Also where it says to find:

[code]
there are two instances of it.

I followed your instructions in the first try then on the second try I found those codes twice and entered the hack code in both times. Unfortunately it still didn't work. Thanks for taking the time with this Brett. smile

I think i rushed it, but hopefully i got it this time. Just uploaded another copy.

Sorry about that. shocked

This is PERFECT, as my original intent was to supress several categories, to keep my board tidy...

Suppresed categories would include; For Sale, Industry, Restricted & "Club House" forums.

Thanks a million Brett, and if you ever need any special graphics, don't hesitate to contact me... The same goes for you other UBB guru's here!

Hey Brett...LOL. Umm, even with the changes for some reason I'm getting the same results. I also tried adding this (in cp_forums.cgi) from your original code:

[code][/code]in 3 different places and same result. I may be doing something wrong... laugh

The good news is that your Selected Category hack can be considered gold and should make an appearance in the 6.4 mods. smile

frown confused

I've looked over the instructions over and back through comparing it with my cgi files and i just can't find any difference. It works perfectly on my test forum. :

I don't know. Can you try backtracking and trying again?

DAMN, Damn, damn...

I am using 6.3.1.2, and it doesn't appear that the code is setup for that! frown

#55313 01/29/2003 10:55 AM
Brett,

All of the necessary code was in tact for the "Individual Forum Show" hack (although it's not working), but not for the first one you displayed.

I am running 6.3.1.2, and the following code is not present...

[code][/code]Any suggestions..?

tgreene: for that piece of code do this:
quote:
########################################################
###Open ubb_forum_summary.cgi
########################################################

########
# find #
########

#we don't want to add one as it would be with the others
} else {
$ColSpan++;
}

#############
# add below #
#############

local(@CatFile, %CachedWatch) = ();
if(!$in{category}) {
@CatFile = &GetCategoriesFile;
} # end if
I haven't tested this on 6.3.1.2, but it probably will work.

PrimeTime: when i get back from work tonight, i'm gonna do a clean reinstall and try that again. Maybe i forgot to put something in the docs. shocked

NP Brett. I'll re-hack it now. I just appreciate you're taking the time with this. thumbsup

I'll let you know how it goes...

I've been messing with it for a while and still coming up short with the "selected forum". While I'm not positive, I think the problem lies somewhere in the cp_forums.cgi file. For some reason when I selected either "yes" or "no" in CP the codes did not recognize the change in value...Even after I cleared the cache.

I hope that information helped. I'll keep trying though. smile

Still nothing... frown

I guess the big question is, are you feeling up to the chalenge, and if not, what would it take to get you there..?

I just got the "Show Forums" to work, but the "Hide Individual Forums" will not... No biggie though!

Next question -- is there any way possible to seperate the category sections, so that each are spaced apart about one
..? This would be very handy where I have a few categories collapsed at the bottom of my Forum Summary page.

FWIW: I fully realize the depth of my painintheassedness! wink

quote:
Originally posted by tgreene:

Next question -- is there any way possible to seperate the category sections, so that each are spaced apart about one
..? This would be very handy where I have a few categories collapsed at the bottom of my Forum Summary page.
It all depends on how you edited the public_forum_summary.pl. I'm not sure if this will work but for a simple solution find:

Code
[/code]and after add:

[code]

Oh man, found the error. And what a stupid one it was. (double) shocked I made it look at $thisforum[18], when it should have been looking at $thisforum[19].

I just tested everything out, three times just to make sure, on a hack free 6.3.1.2. ( http://ivegeta.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi ) Which should be backwards compatible with 6.4.0.1. I THINK.

The file has some needed modification to cp_forums.cgi, that should be done or else you'll lose your changes of previous forums.

Download: Doc Install

Sorry again. Proves that you shouldn't rush these kind of things. wink

EDIT: tgreene, are you referring to the first mod i posted? I was able to install that, incorporating the change i post above on the first try.(as you can see on my 6.3.1.2 test board) confused

Hehe...NP Brett. I focused on $thisforum[18] as well but changed it anywhere from 0 - 8. Ahh...

I'm going to whip out my 6.4 now and re-hack this baby. I'll be back shortly and let you know how it went. laugh

Hey Brett!...Thank you for sticking this through. You're an honorary clan member now. laugh

Ohh...Before I forget just one adjustment...And this will probably hit you pretty hard since it's the error you've mentioned on your last post. LOL.

On your hack where it says in ubb_forum_summary.cgi find:

Code
[/code]Your code still points to (18):

Code
</pre></div></div>When I changed it to:<br><br> [code]
it worked perfectly. thumbsup

Ack! Leaving that one would have drowned the hack. Thanks and hopefully no further problems will arise. (It shouldn't) But i'm glad to hear it works. smile

Thanks, again! laugh

Possibly both of the hacks should hit the 6.4 Final. smile

#55325 01/30/2003 10:13 AM
Brett,

I just attempted to re-install the "Ind Forums Hack", but the same thing happened, as well as nullifying the "Show Forums" hack... I'm back to using the show forums only.

--------

Primetime,

Thanks for the suggestion on where to place the
, but it was also a no-go!

quote:
Originally posted by tgreene:
Primetime,

Thanks for the suggestion on where to place the
, but it was also a no-go!
Maybe you need to add another
. LOL. Then again I've tweaked out the public_forum_summary.pl file so I may have excluded several steps.

I can't help you with the Category Hack since I'm not running 6.3+ although looking at Brett's code should work.

I'm contemplating stepping up to 6.4, but I have so many hacks installed, that it would be a nightmare to get them all back into place...

Hm... frown

I don't know, i don't see how it could be interfereing with any hacks, as i know none that go there. I am very sure of copying every last instruction. It is doing the settings in the forum, now i hope?

If it is setting the right ones, then it's a ubb_forum_summary problem, if not, then it's a cp_forums problem.

I am able to supress complete categories, but not individual forums... Actually, this was all I was really wanting to do, but love to add other options for future use! wink

Goto www.gun-talk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi and see how I have the supressed forums setup at the bottom of the list.

Cool. Hmm...Surpressing indivdual forums should work. So far no problems on my end.

Hey Brett. I just noticed that when I create a new forum or update the title of a forum the forums that were selected as "supressed" went back to default, displaying them on the forum summary. I'll try to extract the code that is for the forums add and see if that resolves the problem. I'll test it out later today and will post the update. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63