Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hmmm, this message is just to reach out to other users.

Actually, i needed people for Beta-Testing my BBS software. Believe me, currently its been up for like 3-4 days and still there are only 3 new 'posts' and one of them by me ahhhh.

You can reach ActiveCommunityâ„¢ start page at http://activeboard.hypermart.net

You can reach the ActiveBoard Home at [direct link to forum] http://activeboard.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/forum/Active.cgi?a=intro

--------------------------------------------
ABOUT ActiveBoard:
--------------------------------------------
Feature list is still under compilation phase. But here are some highlights:

Platform:
Built totally on perl. [server requirements details are similar to UBB(not totally same though)]

Highlights:

ActiveEditâ„¢:
This feature is seen for the First time in a BBS. Are you tired of remembering all those wierd codes like UBBCode? and EZCode?, if yes than ActiveEdit is for you!. This feature allows the users to dynamically edit their messages. Meaning they can add images, view them directly, and format their messages just like they would in any work processor. The ActiveEdit subsystem convert the rich text format to HTML(universal), and thus is able provide the service easily. Currently ActiveEdit only works on clients that use the latest version of MS Ineternet Explorer, it has been tested to work on MSIE 4.01 and MS 5.0. It was tested on Netscape 4.7 and Netscape 6, but unfortunately, due to the lack of support for IFRAMEs in netscape it doesnt work.

Sign-In Subsytem [Log-in & Log-Out]
Users with browser cookies enabled, can now login once, and the system wont ask for any authentication detail again. It automatically regonizes the user and it becomes very easy for user. The subsytem also includes a feature of disabling the usage of login-cookies, in which case the cookies are deleted immediately after the user closes the browser. This is usefull for a computer that is used by more than 1 person, to provide extra security. Also last but not least, the Sign-In Subsystem also have a limited support for cookie-less logins, this means that even if the cookies are disabled, the user can still authenticate himself but he/she will have to do this several times if needed.

Password Encryption [Base64 Enc]
  • Passwords are stored as encrypted text, in member data files, and are hard to decrypt.
  • Passwords are stored as encrypted text, in client browser cookies. [not impplemented in Beta-Test]
  • Encrypted passwords provide high level of security.

Customize User Title
The User's Title (the text that appears below a username, in the author clumn of the topic page, ex: New Member, Member, Moderator, Administrator ), can be changed upon Administrator's needs.

Board Hits
Board Hit loggin, tells you which of your boards are most popular!

Search Engine
Full Fleged built in search engine, lets the user find what they are looking for and fast. Search engine has classic interface and advanced search mode lets the user filter thier search, very accurately. Some notable features include: 'Custom Board Selection', lets you select more than 1 board to search at a time. Ability to use keywords like 'not', 'and', 'or' for query string searches['and' and 'or' are implied by the selection of partial match/all words match option]. Ability to select the criteria of searching, from the choices of 'Message Body Only', 'Message Subject Only', 'Message Body & Subject'. Ability to sort the results according to the users choice of either 'By Date' or 'By Forum'. Ability to select quick dates easily from a cool drop down menu[ hierMenus ]. Search engine only includes the forums that the user has the priveleges to search for.

Classic Interface
Many user friendly features all around the Bulletin Board, like Javascript auto-jump menus all around(compatible with non-javascript old style also). Classic interface also includes a navigation bar.

Powerfull alt-HTML code: ActiveCode
For complete reference click: http://activeboard.hypermart.net/active/help/activecode.html
This is a really powerfull code for replacing HTML, it features a unique ESCAPE tag that allows you to render the ActiveCode inside the wrapper text(usefull for explaining ActiveCode in a post). It also features nested tags, this means that you can link a image, by nesting the image tag inside the link tag.

User Experience
Topic Ratings,
Topic Views,
Page Span words on display board.
Customization: (Per User)
--AutoSignature, individaully a user can choose to append his signature for every post he posts, ofcourse this can be turned off/on.
--DefaultIcon, this means you can select your default icon for every new post
--Many other user-friendly options.

Flexible file format
this allows the user to edit his/her message 'as is', this means that all the code and HTML will be as is in the edit post option. this allows great flexibility and you can even turn your signature on/off when editing.

There are lot more features that the above, i just listed the important ones.

If anyone of you are interested in Beta-Testing, please visit the site or email me. Tell me if a BBS of this features can be any successfull.

Thanx for reading all this, all UBBDeve Moderators will be automatically be moderators of ActiveCommunity [Linked Image]

thanx again,

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
This looks exactly like UBB. I smell something fishy...

------------------
The Fusion of Goku & Trunks...GoTorankusuKu

cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
And so you sought the permission of the people whose hacks you've ripped off? I doubt it.

Encrypted passwords? Why do you think the UBB doesn't do that huh? So that users can be emailed their password when they forget. But i suppose your users will never forget their password?

Just a clone [Linked Image]

------------------
http://www.iamcal.com

hello GoTorankusuKu,

almost every feature, that i listed above is not in UBB. And as much as i know, i havent seen a BBS that features the most breakthrough feature, ActiveEdit.

to summarize all the features of ActiveBoard that are not in UBB:
ActiveEdit
Log-In/Log-Out
Password Encryption [UBB uses plain password in member files, the admin who has access to these files can easily see the passwords of everybody, unlike ubb, activeboard makes it harder if not impossible to see member passwords. this offers the members to use any password they like, and not to worry somebody would sneak in an know their password.]
Custom UserTitle (i think this is not in the official UBB script).
Board Hits
Keywords in search string. ['not']
Ability to render the alt-HTML code, [ActiveBoard impplements the ESCPAE tag]
Powerfull one-click user preferences (like auto-append signatures, default icon]
ability to edit the messages 'as is'.

Ofcourse, this list is not all the features that activeboard provides. Everyday i add new features.

thanx for reading this gotorankusuku, i really appreciate your time.

regards,

hello cal,

i didnt spent 5 months to forget to decrypt password when sending the password by mail [Linked Image]

and it is not a clone of UBB!, it may look similar to UBB due to its interface, because i like the interface of UBB and so i incorporated some of the interface techniques like table layout. But all the internal workings are far from same.

thanks cal

regards,

This message has been edited by raja on November 26, 2000 at 07:09 AM

Sponsored Links
quote:
OMG....and while we're at it, all cars have steering wheels...and they're all round!

oh no, all those TV's...they look the same!!!!!

and oh dear god, KDE looks like windows.

folks, this looks like a global conspiracy.

seriously, though. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is.

Master Hacker
Master Hacker
my .02 is that you can't judge a book by the cover. you want UBB clones? i offer you to take a look at vbulletin, ikonboard, yabb, and so many more - i can't even name em all.

and have you taken a look at the "active edit" shiznit? it's a little simplistic, but not that bad.

------------------

Ell Offline
Uh, so the point of the password encryption is...? Anyone who has access to your memberfiles is almost certainly going to have access to your scripts, and hence the decryption algorythm. Encryption in cookies is something we've thought about before, but was deemed pointless because you can enter a password, and see how it looks encrypted in your cookies... given time, a hacker will be able to work out the cypher, and decode anybody elses' cookies he gets ahold of, thus defeating the original point of the encoding.

Actually, all that seems different is the filenames, and the fact that you've renamed "action" to "a" and number to "n"... and there are a few more characters in your file names (000000000001.html vs 000001.html). The username and passwords have the SAME limits as UBBs... some things look suspisciously like they're Ultra Board-inspired too, if you don't mind me saying so. The cookies are stored in the smae way as UBs, the directory structure is IDENTICAL to UBB for the icons and boards... I'm afraid I'm going to contest your claim that you programmed the whole thing from scratch. [Linked Image]

------------------
If you can read this, you're posting too close!

This message has been edited by Borg_5x8 on November 26, 2000 at 11:22 AM

Ell Offline
Edit: Sorry, double post.

Only this forums moderators can delete posts?! Never knew about that! shocked

This message has been edited by Borg_5x8 on November 26, 2000 at 11:23 AM

Raja,
I'm sorry if this is a mistake, but I droped the ultraboard and ubb developers a line.

If you can send me the files to [email protected] so i can clarify its different, please do.

------------------

Hack Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board.
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail or AIM. Please post on the forums.

Regards,
MasterMind

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
quote:
Hahaha! [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] that was a good one [Linked Image]

Btw, the board looks great raja

AJK Offline
Counterstrike plays in a completely different style to Half Life - it's the same game underneath.

Seriously, that looks so much like UBB that if it really is a "written-from-scratch" system, it's got to be the most unoriginal one ever.

AJK
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
now that i look again, it is just UBB with the hacks installed.

------------------

It is actually a combination of UBB and OpenTopic ... he just mixed it up so it won't look too obvious...

I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying not to deny it...

------------------
------------------------------------

http://www.opentechsupport.net
------------------------------------

to mastermind,

its ok, but the only thing: if i send you files will they be misused? i mean i know you would not, but still just to make sure that there are no conflictions...

please reply asap, so i can send it the files...

thanx again,

regards.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63