Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66764 02/02/2001 3:28 PM
I was thinking about the v6 beta release. All the talented people that frequent boards like this will work on it and fix bugs and create new features. Then Infopop would be able to apply them to their versions.

It's kind of a sneaky way to get free labor.

Sponsored Links
hehe...good idea...hurry someone go edit his post before navaho see's it and makes us all write bug fixes for free.. j/k laugh

sad thing is that i dont give a damn about credits, i just want the features.

quote:
LOl, yea i guess it is strange having them get free labor, but hell it speeds up the release of the V 6 smile

:rolleyes:

Yea, i'm sure ted was thinking the exact same thing! A programmer of high experience who charges for UBB to steal hacks! OMG!

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
mm, nobody is "that" dumb here..

anyway, its time already for infopop to assume the responsabilities for what they do, not needing a bunch of people defending it.

i haven't noticed too much stolen stuff yet, just code buttons (horrible rip on mutts) and private messages.

#66771 02/03/2001 11:18 AM
and cwm's smiley map hack...

#66772 02/03/2001 11:25 AM
lol....

an idea is not copyrightable....

Member / CodeFixer
Member / CodeFixer
quote:
umm... yes it is.

Sponsored Links
quote:
Indeed it is, Bill managed it wink

P.I.T.A. / Programmer
P.I.T.A. / Programmer
Let me pose a question to you guys....

How come features that Ted added in (which were all written from scratch mind you, not an inclusion of the created hacks), are "stolen" from the author, but other forum software packages with those features didn't "steal" them, and in fact the other packages which entirely look and function just like UBB are ok and not criticized for being entirely "stolen" from ubb?

Just curious as to the line of thinking that makes it ok for other packages, but not ok for UBB. Especially considering that stuff like PM was repeatedly asked for to be included.

--mark

"Annnnnnnndd now, opening for Iron Maiden...... WYLD STALLYNS!!!" --Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted "Theodore " Logan
i agree. i also agree that ubb look can be copied.

quote:
i agree with this too hehehe

Veteran
Veteran
Just for the record. "and cwm's smiley map hack... " OpenTopic predated this by months.

Mutt was not the first person to use javascript to add text to a text box.

Dawg911 please show me exactly which lines of code were stolen from any PM hack anywhere?

Does anyone else have any more irresponsible claims to make?

I, like Mark, am also curious as to why other developers can take our board, use the exact same wording in some places and nobody makes a sound. We add a feature that doesn't even resemble the workings of someone else's and we get this reaction.

Please, remove your double standard before you post something of this nature again.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
sorry nahavo, you talking about the ubb6 i was running? i just removed it now after reading your post. (just for the record, it was a test board). i cant understand every english expression, thats why im asking.

just for the record, i dont have anything against infopop using this new features. for the contrary, im really happy about it.

navaho, i didn't say it was copied word for word, i just said they were stolen ideas. i don't hate infopop (as much as i did when I was UltraBoardFan at scriptkeeper) but u could have credited the originals who developed the ideas (mutt, CwM and others) who gave the ideas out that u guys probly would have never thought out.

and about other forum software like UltraBoard and Vbulliten, i agree totally that they are just total ripoffs on UBB. especially vb which has many features stolen from UBB hackers.

i only mentioned CWM's smiley map hack beuse i wander through his board ever so often and i saw a post with him accusing infopop of stealing his smiley map hack and banning him and the instant graemlins look so much and acts so much like it.

naturally when i heard this..this is what happened eek over and over, cause i could'nt believe that a big giant company like infopop that makes thousands of dollars could do that and or at least be accused of it.

see this is why perl needs to have a option of compiling your script. (like a browser plugin i use called vitalize)
that way nobody could steal anybodys code, because.....they would'nt be able to view the code if it was compiled. now i know what your thinking... "oh yeah that's all nice and peachy for the people who make the perl scripts but what about us, the people who like to modify it?" well...the scripters could give out the code to worthy individuals, or make a built in option of adding in lines of code in certain files, it would be hard to do...but in the end it would be so much better for everyone. laugh

[ February 03, 2001: Message edited by: Ultra The Vampire ]

Veteran
Veteran
CopyCat! you don't have to remove your board!

Let me explain double standard.

Double standard means applying one standard to one group of people but using a different standard on another group of people when comparing the same thing.

When I said remove the double standard what I meant was please apply the same standards of excellence to other developers that you do to Infopop.

I am truly sorry if for some reason you thought I was asking you to remove your UBB.

Now Dawg, let's do some history. Private messages for the UBB was invented by Nicholas Clark as a standalone(v1). I incorporated them into the UBB and they were no longer standalone (v2) with Nicholas' blessings. I have the emails, somewhere. Mutt, ythan, and the CMPM group took it from there when I had no more time and they had a whole heck of a lot of great ideas. This is how code hacking was in those days, people ran with each other's ideas and many ideas forked new ideas. But in no way did Infopop steal a concept or idea from CYMPM.

Beyond that if you look though the code you will find many code hackers such as Graeme or Kombat03 are indeed credited for their work.

Now, let's remove the double standard I described above. Leshrac further developed the memberslist after Jeff (MIA1998) originally created and developed it. Do you fault Leshrac or post that he stole a concept?

O_O thanks navaho. sorry for the misunderstanding.

so can we run a test board while its not final release, and show it to our members? just making it official, i didnt find this anywhere..

#66786 02/03/2001 10:30 PM
OpenTopic used Instant Graemlins before CWM released the hack. The code is nothing alike and reacts differently.

The Private Messages in UBB6 are different. No possible way to copyright the idea of sending private messages to other people...

#66787 02/03/2001 11:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
CopyCat our policy has always been that you can have a second testing board as long as it is not available to, or in use by the general public.

#66788 02/03/2001 11:06 PM
ok thanks alot.

thanx for clearing all that up navaho, btw, i have some thing i need too ask pertaining to my head webmasters licence. who should i contact?

Veteran
Veteran
Dawg you can contact me but I read the other thread and took the liberty of checking. You are all set. smile I sent you a PM with details. If you have any more questions just reply back smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
For every 3 people claiming "IP stole someone's hack" there are 3,000 screaming for them to include it... isn't that the main argument for all these people who say "I'm gonna use *** ****'s board cause it already has all these hacks in it".

People please, check the code in the related areas before spouting off, they are written nothing alike... they actually have a ways to go to achieve the functionality of the v5 modifications ;), but it is beta, and will continue to progress, like Ted has stated many times... the main focus of this version is a clean rewrite, functionality will be added into future versions.

And yes, you can copyright ideas, but those people you are defending hardly were the first with the ideas... :rolleyes:

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Note to self: Read the whole thread before "spouting off".... laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
it happens wink

but then again, im kinda confused with teds mentioning the developer community in his new pricing notice. i felt really weird by him mentioning it while raising prices.. maybe its something from my mind?.. and, well, i think i wanted a discussion on that?.. :rolleyes:

oh and how do i prove im a hobbyist, no one answered that in sk for me..

mm and one more, does the new policies apply to old customers?

and how do i prove all these business/non business things when paying the annual fee? does all old customers pay the hobbyist price?

oh and btw, i compiled a list of "ubb clones", free and not, for my users that kept asking for "this cool forum u r using". here it is, for anyone who cares. can i post this here? if not, just edit this message...

http://banco.jogosonline.com.br/cgi...um9&expath2=&topic=000024&type=&number=9

its in portuguese btw, dunno if you will understand it at all...

edit: carriage return eating before link bug.

[ February 04, 2001: Message edited by: CopyCat ]

Hmmm....... phpbb looks kinda interesting..... i think ill down a copy of that...... (purely for reference purpouses you understand, i AM trying to learn php after all :D)

Signatures suck. Thats why I dont have one.
im there already laugh

edit: i mean i want to learn php too.

[ February 04, 2001: Message edited by: CopyCat ]

wow BlazeBoard look cool it have all hack install on it it just like ubb and as fast as vbb look like Copyright dose not do nothin eek

Some men live for others and make their presence known
Some men live in seclusion and choose to live alone...
Some men live for justice and walk inside the law
But of these men, the group I'm in
are the men behind the wall...
- Gato Suertudo

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63