Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66880 02/04/2001 5:44 AM
well, im quite well with my ubb version right now. the fact is that i dont need to close it all only for members. i just need the publicly displayed name, and maybe... mm wordlets smile almost forgot. lesee... ... i dont think i need anything else from 6. im scared about cpu load, and the fact that the cache from the browser isnt there anymore (making more bandwich use). the fact that theres no need to update threads is a good thing though.

Sponsored Links
I wont be upgrading myself. Frankly the hassle of having to wait for new hacks then install them all again and again as new releases of v6 come out is more than i can be bothered with.

Besides which I dont NEED any of the supposed performance-enhancing features of UBB6..... My board will never get so high a user base as to ever cause the server any difficulties....... Seems to me that v.5.4* is just good enough for the type of community I and others are running. UBB6 is just technology overkill.......

Signatures suck. Thats why I dont have one.
CTH Offline
Hey,

I think there are valid points to upgrading and not upgrading. Phil brought up some good points.

I want to upgrade but until I hear from someone with proof that the cpu usage is equal or better than the 5.4x series I doubt I will.

Some of the new features are excellent and even through all this pricing fiasco I still have faith in UBB.

To have a login system that works is nice and a cookie that doesn't seem to corrupt is nice too laugh

I've never been a great fan of instant UBB code or the UBB buttons mod because I kinda have faith in my members having the sense to look at the smiley key page. But it's nice for newer members for sure. I do miss hitting tab then enter to send my messages tho.

I also believe that the 5.4x series is excellent too and atm there is no urgent need to upgrade because I've always found these UBBs to be super stable, even with all the mods (which is a tribute to the modding community).

Infopop are heading in the right direction imho because they are developing the product instead of just letting it go stale, and if they continue to do so then maybe just maybe there is some worth in the recent price rises.

TotalNewbie

Why not? Alot of hacks will be available for 6 and none for 5x (soon).

You'll be left behind...

Benchmark of 5.47c and 6.0 Beta 7.2

5.47c: 0.43
6.0 Beta 7.2: 0.08

Thats just a recent quicky benchmark. If someone has time for a better, more accurate one, do it.

What's a benchmark?

hehe
<-------------- Newbie

This is the designed behavior.
Sponsored Links
quote:
Its when you use the Benchmark.pm module to time CPU useage with 2 different things.

Yeah but CPU usage is one thing but you also have to take bandwidth and quality of connection into account. Its all very wonderful and high tech if i have the fastest bb code in the universe but if the pages it creates can only be downloaded at a rate of 1 page an hour then knowing that they only took a second to generate isnt going to be very reassuring to the person sat in front of the monitor.

An extremely exagerrated example but you see my point? For instance the scriptkeeper forums might be running faster at the server end but to be honest i havent noticed any real difference.

Signatures suck. Thats why I dont have one.
CTH Offline
smile

[ February 05, 2001: Message edited by: TotalNewbie ]

Addict
Addict
quote:
how can you calculate that? which program? or script? smile

benchmar.pm

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63