Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71836 05/09/2001 3:52 AM
Welp, I'm back at hacking my UBB. After being gone for a little over 6 months it's incredible to witness how fast this community moves. Most of you won't remember me, but while I was around I almost never shut up and I helped get a few nifty hacks together.

www.ubbcodehacking.com is completely dead and www.ubbhackers.com is toast, too, now that Infopop hired Cal away. What we're left with is this site and an entirely new version of the UBB which none of my previous efforts work with.

That's a lot to get adjusted to!

This site seems like an Infopop marketing machine, seeing as there is no longer helpful support for those of us using older versions. You either upgrade to the new, feature-poor slower version (tests came back slower on 3 completely different servers) or you can go stuff yourself, apparently. That's what the general line around the forums seem to indicate, and I don't agree at all! While I know damn well each of you are volunteering time and effort and want to focus on the spiffy new versions of the UBB, a little support for versions not even half a year old would be kinda expected for a something who's price tag keeps going up.

The dilemma here for Infopop is support actually is provided, but none of the new unsupported hacked features are provided for in the newer versions of the software. What's a guy to do when he's spent weeks and weeks worth of effort in modifications?

Stick with the last stable point release his stuff works with: 5.47e.

I'm currently stuck with 5.47d and no spiffy access to the member's section (anyone with a list of the changes and bugfixes in 5.47e please pass it along as I hear there were serious booboos bandaged).

Now that you're all poised to flame me, let me pacify your anger a bit. tipsy

By support, I don't mean massive hack writing - I'm talking about basic stuff like fixing the database filled with dead links and missing URLs to hacks, and bug fixing the best hacks when users request fixes. That's all... just make those of us with 5.x versions feel less like unwanted pests.

Thanks in advance, and nice to be back!

- Shockwave

[ May 09, 2001 03:54 AM: Message edited by: Shockwave ]

Sponsored Links
#71837 05/09/2001 7:14 AM
cal Offline
Programmer
Programmer
Hey shockwave smile

Infopop hired Charles, not me. We both work here though ( https://ubbdev.com/staff.php ).

I can see what you're talking about with version 5, but licensing restrctions mean that we can no longer offer the level of support to 5.x users that we'd like to.

We do still have version 5 support forums though, and you are more than welcome to post in them.

Any modifications (what we call hacks nowadays) for 5.x by me, i'll happily patch and bugfix if you drop me an email. Stuff that wasn't by me i can take a look at anyway. You're still on my ICQ list, assuming your number hasn't changed.

Just a thought smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63