I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks to our own CC and Dave and all the crew at IP, here you go:

http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000554

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
well, my first question is:

how will all of this affect the hacks that are out there.

i'm looking to upgrade our board this week and i would like to have a few of the hacks (i'm going to try out multihack, so maybe i'll add more than a few). i'd like to make the switch to the new code for the speed, but will i have to do so at the cost of having to forego the hacks until they can be re-fitted to work with 6.1?

thoughts?

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
/me will click many times on the refresh buttons next week...

Larry, sure it affects some of the hacks, after all they rebuilt the CP, cache, PM and many other things.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
6.1.0 contains majorly scary architectural changes that will break 100% of the hacks out there.

Nearly half the code has been touched and changed, and ALL of the code has been reformatted & indented (perltidy is your friend). The various programs and systems out there that do automated hacking will NOT be able to apply 6.0x hacks to the 6.1.x series boards.

Nearly all (> 95%) of all board I/O is now handled by a set of common subroutines, including seperate routines for thread data and member data.

Basically, if you've done some hacking for the 6.0x series, you will need to start fresh with the 6.1.x series.

Including the templates.

Note, BTW... The official version scheme is "6.1.0", *NOT* "6.10".

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
that's what i was afraid of. i guess i'll put it to a vote on my board.

do you want:

1. a faster board with these features: xxx, xxx, xxx and lose who's online, last post by, etc...

or,

2. the same board but with added features: pm notify, calendar, memberlist, etc.

wait a sec: will the board even get faster from the user's end?

i guess, i'm leaning toward not going to 6.1.0 yet and waiting till it gets the bugs worked out and some of our key hacks (who's online at least) are re-worked.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I imagine there won't be a huge wait for some of the major modifications... qasic plans to update WOL as soon as possible after release. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Well, I can't wait for the beta. I really am curious what the code looks like now.

test

QUOTES: by Link2001-------------------------"I see under the road.""When will the path end?""Boy Im tired."-------------------------
quote:
You have to be joking! I just did 93 ****ing templates, now you're telling me to upgrade to 6.1 I have to do em all again! I have only one thing to say on this matter...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

Ahem!

[ July 20, 2001 03:50 PM: Message edited by: FAT B0Y ]

[Linked Image]
Sex is like air, you don't realise how important it is 'til you're not getting any
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
It WILL be faster to the users - less transfer == faster loading... smile

Sponsored Links
One of my hosts dosn't allow UBB frown

This new version is ment to save I/O so it will be easier on the server so maybe they might allow it in the future??? smile

Addict
Addict
Quite possibly by the time WOL is updated, 6.2 will have it built in..;)

As per Mr Ted..

Read More

[ July 20, 2001 04:11 PM: Message edited by: JC ]

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The template changes aren't as extensive as the cgi files Fat Boy... updating them won't be so bad... you might be interested in some we have coming out as well. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Moderator / Template Diva
First question: With all these I/O and speed improvements, how vital is the cache in 6.1.0? Is it now feasable to turn the cache off on decent sized boards without trashing the server?

Second question: Does the "Upgrade Button" still work on boards that have been hacked/modified?

[EDIT] Just noticed I have 2000+ posts! w00t! laugh [/EDIT]

---Skorpion

[ July 20, 2001 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Skorpion ]

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Skorp! You know better!

The cache is now more crucial than ever! It's built smarter and faster, and there's more that's cached. smile

Turning off the cache is still the quickest way to kill your server. *L*

The upgrade button won't do anything to most hacks. Basically, instead of uploading files, doing a really big procedure of submitting screens and changing settings, you now simply upload the files, hit the upgrade button, and it does everything for you. smile (Actually, that's not true - the initial 6.0x -> 6.1.0 upgrade requires a forum stat files & member post history rebuild - those can't be triggered using the Upgrade Button)

It'll even update your Wordlet™ lists for you! No more overwriting your changes! laugh

Thanks CC! smile

Heh, I was thinking the Upgrade Button actually, like, downloaded the files and installed them for you. That would be kinda nifty, but it would trash too many hacks, so I like your version much better. laugh

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for YourStyle, though, since the cache is so important.

---Skorpion

I will be eagerly awaiting the 6.1 beta smile

Anything to relieve stress on servers would be a god-send...

[ July 20, 2001 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Tolitz ]

Developer
Developer
I anticipate WOL 4.1.0 for UBB 6.1 will be out the day after UBB 6.1 GOLD is released wink

qasic

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Thanks, CC!!! I feel so much better now!! laugh

---Skorpion

so, quasic, i see that you couched that one a bit by saying "gold", huh?

i don't know. the speed is enticing. but do i dare go without who's online for a while? now, i'm more eagarly awaiting 6.2.0. is 45 days too ambitious of a schedule, charles? i'd assume you guys already have WOL and polls in the works to meet that deadline.

i'll let you know what some of our users' feedback is after i presented them the options.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Actually, I've done investigative work on all the planned features... no coding has been done yet, but I don't anticiapte too many problems.

(The existing WOL implementation has some... issues that will be totally avoided in our implementation)

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
ya just reading that announcement on IP earlier today i know im gonna have to redo some of my hacks, but i dont think it will be too much of a problem. smile

charles - are you gonna do polls a la vB, or something different, maybe non-thread integrated? (or do you even know yet, hehe)

actually it is breaking 99% of all hacks. ONe hasnt been released and is being devel'ed on 6.1.0. But the calendar, memberlist, etc, shouldnt be too hard to upgrade. WOL is in 6.2.0.

quote:
I suggest attempting to get Benchmarking, Avatars and your others done too. Dont want people complaining for your great free work. tipsy

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
quote:
I honestly don't know what we're going to do yet. We're doing a brainstorming session here at the offices next week on how to implement WOL and Polls properly.

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
sounds like your on track, its good to see some of these seperate mods becoming features, just dont forget the off switch laugh

heh, on an unrelated note, i was down at westlake shopping the other day... i wonder if your building security would have kicked me out if i wondered in. lol, j/k.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Yeah, we'll sick Brett on ya.

Developer
Developer
quote:
Here's the stuff I'm aware of

• not strict-compatiable (fixed in v4.1.0)
  • routine to determine when to chop off users not optimized
  • recordbook fails on big sites (more than 100 concurrent users at a time)

qasic

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
  • A lot of I/O via OpenFileAs*
wink

Just read it,They sounds like great new features for 6.1 smile Can't wait for it. laugh

all these ubb releases! they're driving me insane! I might just quit using ubb all together.. mad

Veteran
Veteran
Jordo, Considering that neither Ted nor I (and I suspect CC as well) have ever even seen how VB does their polls it is unlikely ours will be like theirs are. The polls will probably resemble the way OpenTopic does them, although since we have had them in OpenTopic for a while we have identified some changes we wish to make to them.

Telekinesis, I am sorry that you feel that way however I would be remiss in my duties if I did not see to it that we continually develop the UBB and release updates, bug fixes, security patches, et al. whenever necessary. We are still a far cry from the old days when it was normal to have releases once a week or more.

[ July 20, 2001 10:42 PM: Message edited by: navaho ]

Picture perfect penmanship here.
quote:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

quote:
I agree. laugh

This is probably a very stupid question, cause I know nothing about CGI and Perl...

Anyways, what if I use Beyond Compare to upgrade my UBB? From what I understand, I can't, but I've got to ask the pros...

Another question. Would you reccomend upgrading to 6.1 right away? Or wait till 6.2?

~IA

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
It is impossible (quite literally) to go from 6.0x to 6.1.0 using BeyondCompare - all the scripts are TOTALLY different as far as the code layout is concerned. (Though the code itself hasn't changed that incredibly much, BeyondCompare isn't smart enough to figure that out - nothing is... :))

And I would advise going to 6.1.0 about a week after it's out so that any issues that may pop up can be corrected... We aren't anticipating showstopper bugs, but there will surely be lots of little nitpick bugs to fix.

6.1 will bring some needed changes, fine.
But 6.2, wOOt!!!! Who's On Line and Polls as standard features!!!! Damn I'm glad I extended my license. laugh laugh laugh

Mr. Bill
Well,

when will 6.2 be available ? When it is released in about two month, this will be exacly the time when I am at the current status : Added around 15 hacks in ubb and edited many templates in 6.04c, upgrading to 6.1, hacking again... upgrading when finished, hacking again...

phoooooo.

I don´t think 6.04c has so much errors that I will upgrade in two weeks, my license will last for 8 month, so it´s no problem waiting a little bit longer.

But by the way : Reducing traffic is one of the best arguments to upgrade, I already own the biggest package which my hoster is offering and I am on my way to break his limits :-)

Dennis

Regards Dennis Bode
-----------------------------
Webmaster of Hardwareluxx.com
cant wait for it smile
although what'd be good is if a UBB came out, a lot of hacks were already there, with the option to turn them off or on, according to the users preferences

Joker

quote:
What you have never seen a vb even by accident? RTFQ

Veteran
Veteran
Couldn't help yourself, could you Dave?

Let me answer the question though.

Have I ever even seen one? Sure. Did I bother to look at or study it? No. I prefer to pay more attention to what I am doing.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
quote:
Whats the problem with them? confused

Anyway, why are you people thinking about 6.2 that has to be months away before it's release 6.1 is our main target, but if 6.2 is gonna have a few hacks as standard UBB thats good news.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
Ok.

Another question, I don't know if anybody here knows about this or not, but I thought it would be worth a shot. Would the polls in version 6.2 be optional in each forum? Would they be optional to just turn off on the whole board?

Thanks,
~IA

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I'm 100% confident that they can be turned off... as we don't quite know how they'll be done, whether they'll be in each forum or not to begin with is yet to be determined.

quote:
Just a little logic here... if everyone waits a week to upgrade (which obviously won't happen, but for argument's sake...), how will you know about the bugs? Since no one will be using it yet...

tipsy laugh

---Skorpion

Old Hand
Old Hand
hehehehehehe laugh

Content Queen
Content Queen
I sure do hope the release of 6.1 comes out soon (today? ;)) ... I've deliberately held off adding hacks to my board because I understood that I'd have to rehack so much with the upgrade.

From what I understand, too, this release of 6.1 means that there could still be problems, correct? Well, you know the saying, "No guts, no glory."

Sue
adwoff.com
Thats why they have the beta versions of 6.1 so they can get rid of most of the bugs as possible.

I'm glad 6.1.0 is release next month. smile

great when sometiome the 6.2.0 comes out is my update licence runnig out and i´m can give infopop more $$ eek shocked frown

quote:
Are you serious? You don't ever check out your competiton?

Wow, if my company (or any) did business like that...well, we/they would probably be out of business. smile

[ July 24, 2001 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Prince ]

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
We (rather intentionally) try not to examine our competition to death... Yeah, of course we've seen vB, but we aren't going to try and concentrate so hard on what they're doing that we loose track of what WE'RE doing in the first place... smile

I know it's off the subject, but since it was discussed I'd love to see 6.2 have polls optional in each forum.. kinda like (the crappy) ezboard.. only feature i miss off of it smile

when you upgrade to 6.1.0 would it be better just to start from scratch and save your members and forum directories IF you have tons of hacks installed, or will the hacks not screw up the upgrade?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Just upload the files in the zip, your present hacks will overwrite the currently installed ones and not matter. The only exception is if you have modifications installed that added profile fields (as in the calendar and "last post in profile"), you have some work to do there smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
mb Offline
And if I'm at 5.39 (with customized registration that has to be stripped) -- can I go straight to 6.1.0 or do I need to go to 6.0X first?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can go to 6.1 without problems :)I did smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
blaab
how come when i Check for current Version it responds
Current UBB Version:

Is it suposed to show me 6.1.0 or what?

Veteran
Veteran
no, It shows you the last non beta version and at this time its still 6.05

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: Chuck ]

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
As soon as 6.1.3 beta comes out, I want to add the Who's Online & Chat mods. Should I then go to 6.1 or wait for the 6.2 beta (which will have Who's Online in it)? My ultimate goal is to have loggable chats soon w/o reapplying too many times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63